It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans Residents Are Ordered to Flee Hurricane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

New Orleans Residents Are Ordered to Flee Hurricane

www. nytimes.com

NEW ORLEANS — City officials ordered everyone to leave New Orleans beginning Sunday morning — the first mandatory evacuation since Hurricane Katrina flooded the city three years ago — as Hurricane Gustav grew into what the city’s mayor called “the storm of the century” on Saturday and moved toward the Louisiana coast.

Mayor C. Ray Nagin said Gustav was larger and more dangerous than Katrina, and pleaded with residents to get out or face enormous flooding and life-threatening winds.

“This is the mother of all storms, and I’m not sure we’ve seen anything like it,” he said at an evening news briefing. “This is the real deal, this is not a test. For everyone thinking they can ride this storm out, I have news for you: that will be one of the biggest mistakes you can make in your life.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Mandatory evacuation for NO.

This is getting very scary.

www. nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have to say it has to be mandatory, because too many people just want to ride it out.

This is a monster and people have to be made to leave in order to spare their lives!!!

I'm not into "mandates" especially from this government, but this seems to be the only way to keep the calamities at a minimum.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
My God. "larger and more dangerous than Katrina".

This is very bad. I urge anyone in the area to get out.

Katrina was bad enough. My prayers are with you all.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Wow, this could be very bad indeed.

People are going to be crazy now trying to leave that were planning on staying.

Now that it's mandatory, don't even try and stay, because you will be expendable.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yeah, this really does look like it will be the mother of all storms.

Latest:

EYE OF HURRICANE GUSTAV ENTERS GULF OF MEXICO AFTER PASSING OVER WESTERN CUBA - CUBAN WEATHER SERVICE

(AlertNet)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chips
Yeah, this really does look like it will be the mother of all storms.

I think it's safe to say that Moore was referring to the irony of the impending orgy of GOP back-slapping being interupted by another mother of all storms. I submit this link to his site, where he brings back the note he wrote in the wake of Katrina: www.michaelmoore.com...

Let's put aside the partisan squealing and pray for all those in the path of the storm. I'm sure Moore is, too.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Chips was referring to the article not to MM.

Mayor C. Ray Nagin said Gustav was larger and more dangerous than Katrina, and pleaded with residents to get out or face enormous flooding and life-threatening winds. “This is the mother of all storms, and I’m not sure we’ve seen anything like it,” he said at an evening news briefing. “This is the real deal, this is not a test. For everyone thinking they can ride this storm out, I have news for you: that will be one of the biggest mistakes you can make in your life.”

link to source.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hopefully this time they'll learn not to live below sea level.

You'd think they would have got it the first time....

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seawolf197

Cheers for that, Seawolf.

Yes, JohnnyCanuck, I was referring to the article (not Michael Moore).

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chips Yes, JohnnyCanuck, I was referring to the article (not Michael Moore).

My apologies...due to a brain fart (no doubt caused by an excess of poutine), I posted this in the wrong Gustav thread. Just pretend it never happened, eh?

new topics

top topics

join