It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reseructing old topics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Recently, but also in the past, I have been seeing a growing rise of double or triple or quadruple threads. Anyone else see it? Such as 4 topics on one thing. Kind of silly? I see ATS's purpose behind why they don't want 4 threads on the exact same topic. Recently, there have been many of these. It is sort of bugging me since I see mods close some, but not others. I'm just throwing that out there.

What do others think?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

People refuse to use the search function before posting

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

i agree, i pointed this out to someone already today, i'm sure you guys get sick of it

[edit on 29/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Totally agreed. People don't search. I use it, and I have found it works great for digging up old facts. It would be nice before posting a topic if ATS put it right next to the topic with something saying, "Has this already been posted, if so, start it up up again!"

Just to remind people to give credit to others too and keep discussions rolling.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Didn't I see a post like this a little while back

I think some topics need revisiting from time to time, other should be put on the top shelf in the garage, never to be seen again.

Most of the 'multiple' posts which occur over a timespan usually have a moderators comment on why they feel it is justified to stay.

I have yet to see any explanation that was not up to par, so me personally, have no ill will towards these posts and just decide whether or not they are worth reading.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
And god forbid ya throw the link to an existing thread into the duplicate. I did that a few days ago, no curt words, just a simple redirect ........ I was accused by the OP of trying to have his thread shut down.

ugh.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I understand all of your reasoning, having them 'put on the shelf'. Some topics deserve that, but that is the general thought on everything on ATS, is that it should be put on the shelf, but frankly, there are some good topics waiting to get back on top.

It happens to me, and just about everyone... rather ironic Grailkeeper
. This is just a suggestion, and ways we can at least make people more aware of this.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I use the search before I post a new thread...however there have been some instances where I have done a search on a topic and it came up with nothing.I then would post the new thread only to find out it had already been posted before.My guess is unless people start putting tags on their threads then sometimes it will not find anything.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I've found more than not that using google for the keyword AND "abovetopsecret.com" in the search form brings back results far greater than ATS's own engine.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Yes, ATS topics come up often when I do conspiracy searches on google. I think it would a nice reminder for others who do not realize there is already a topic on the thread they are starting.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
While it is always better (suposedly) to post in an existing thread rather than creat a new one there is another side to this coin.

That is some members also get angry when someone posts in an old thread...

Zombie threads?

Old topics and Anonymous ATS

I have even seen some forum moderators on rare ocasions close a thread that is very old when it gets bumped and people start posting in it again.

There is a fine line between the search button finding those great threads and beating a dead horse I imagine. While yes it is best to post in an existing thread than to start in a new one, I guess it also is equally bad to dig up a musty old thread and rehash the past.

I also forgot to mention the add tag feature below the thread is an important thing that does not get used as often as it should. You can ad a custom tag to each thread so that other members that want to search for a thread like this using the search function are able to do so and will find it. I am going to tag this thread with the title.

[edit on 8/29/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I'm just saying that sometimes it is good to bring the dusty book off the shelf. Might be a good idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't really have a valid opinion because I am new. But, I don't think it is such a bad thing as long as its not 4 post on the same topic within the same week. Then, yeah.. That would probably annoy people. Being new, I do use the search thread after being flamed. But sometimes I wouldn't even think of searching for a topic that someone has posted. Even if it is a post that the senior members have seen a million times, a new person might not have common knowledge on the topic, so it is beneficial to the freshmen. And it also gets us up to date with topics that the seniors are aware of. ATS is the best site I have joined. Its very informative. Even the posts that some might see as useless, I see as an opportunity to see what other members are thinking.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Yes, agreed, even the useless flames give you valuable insight to other opinions and how to react to them.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by truth_seeker3
reply to post by KaginD

Yes, agreed, even the useless flames give you valuable insight to other opinions and how to react to them.

Exactly! Now I know to really have my A game on when I post because I will be questioned and better be able to back it up lmao.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Yes, people usually reveal their weaknesses when they are angry. Take advantage of it. It definitely works.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Of course it is better to post in an existing thread. That's the general rule of thumb for thread etiquette. But how old is too old? 2 years? 1 year? 6 months? I think there is some confusion about what constitutes a dusty thread and what is digging up and beating a dead, rotting, decaying, smelly, pus and maggot infested horse.

(If that didn't give you a bad enough visual just think of Robin Williams back hair braided into cornrows)

*Ahem* So one must ask themselves how old is too old? What is the shelf life of a thread? And does what you have to say fall in line with the old thread that you found using the search function?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I use the search before I post a new thread...however there have been some instances where I have done a search on a topic and it came up with nothing.I then would post the new thread only to find out it had already been posted before.My guess is unless people start putting tags on their threads then sometimes it will not find anything.

Agreed this has also happened to me... and it also depends if the title you search for is there or if a topic has a different title that would not come up in search

A few days ago I was looking for an old thread that had fallen off my watch list... it took five times rearrange search questions before I found the one I was looking for

Also with the flood of new member all with their own important post to make I don't see them rushing to the search option

Now what about long topic posts? Our moon image thread has reached 250 pages... and even Mike Singh a CM here has started a new thread on Moon images... If the thread is too long new material gets buried... I have seen many topics where each photo or each UFO video gets a new thread... to the point that it is virtually impossible for me to keep up with all the new threads... yet at the same time having it all in one thread makes it virtually impossible to reference the material

[edit on 29-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I say dont sweat the little stuff..............................Take a walk, read a book, go stargazing.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Is this a library or a discussion board that allows people to interact?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join