It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The opposite of a Computer virus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I just wanted your expert feedback on this potential theory.

What if a program or code could be wrote in a way that it does the very opposite of a virus. It strengthens the computer and enables it to see different things that it shouldnt usually see,hear, or say, explain some truths from true sources because , believe it or not, everything on the internet is 'interconnected- in a way"WORLD-WIDE-WEB".
Similiar to that PI theory....Right after a computer calculates PI and right before it crashes its said "the computer becomes self-aware". I dont know how true that is but, but I bet some kind of calculation with infinity or something can.....Sigh.
Im not talking about full enlightenment and manifesting existence and destiny into a machine.lol. They are all connected, they can talk now, they can watch you as well as those secret areas, they can do more than most humans.
my point is ive been with computers since the C64, ive never heard on anything like a 'booster' or something that can ensure you that its on your side.
Dont laugh please.
I will prove it.....Im writing an informative pre-cog program, her name is the 'Oracle'. ;p

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
this is probably the best definition i could find of a computer virus

"is a self-replicating computer program that spreads by inserting copies of itself into other executable code or documents. ..."

Computer Virus Definition

a virus doesnt have to be malicious to be labeled a virus.

so i guess the opposite of a virus is a Program

It strengthens the computer and enables it to see different things that it shouldnt usually see,hear, or say

a program allows you to do all the above

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This doesn't really make any sense. A "virus" is just self-replicating code. Something that does the opposite would either be a virus that spreads to destroy a virus (this was done once during an 80s virus epidemic) or just something that stops it from executing (like your favorite anti-virus program).

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The OP is talking about an gnostic autopatcher. Someone call the funny farm and check for missing residents

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Interesting, but it doesn't really work that way. A virus is simply something that makes your computer malfunction, in which case, the opposite of a virus would be something that could make your computer do a better job of what it does, which would be a hardware or software upgrade. People can go out and buy hardware for their computer, or can update software and drivers.
You can also get auto-updates for windows which would techniclly be the opposite of a virus as it could potentially improve something, but then if it's a pirated copy, then it could disable it, in which case it would actually be a virus!

lol i could also get your IP and create an infinite DOS .bat file and set it to run on your OS upon startup, infecting your computer and rendering it useless until you boot up in safe mode, and disable it. The opposite of that would be something that wouldn't start up, and wouldn't do anything, and would actually give you more cpu and ram resources. However, nothing can do that, unless you actually are running a 32 bit OS, with 6 gigs of ram. but on 32bit it only detects 3 gb, so if you upgrade to a 64bit OS, then you unlock the other 3, which would techniclly be a software uprade that would unlock hardware upgrades without the purchase or installation. Same thing with overclocking.
wow sorry, i didn't think i'd get that into it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
This doesn't really make any sense. A "virus" is just self-replicating code. Something that does the opposite would either be a virus that spreads to destroy a virus (this was done once during an 80s virus epidemic) or just something that stops it from executing (like your favorite anti-virus program).

a virus to destroy a virus is still a virus

gnostic autopatcher

lol @ Zepherian, now if someone could develop something like that i bet they could make a mint

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Your right it would be a program. But I guess im thinking a bit BIG. I dont mean something as primitive as an anit-virus computer store bought program. I mean one that could inhibit a computer and use its interconnectedness, to enlighten or awake the computer.
Here is my random scenario...
Imagine a program, or pro-virus that has been wrote out to be like google. Type anything and it will give you an answer, not by what someone typed but more like 'this is what it is from all the logic I have'. I dont know....
Your right it would be a program. Im just getting ahead of myself, maybe neo could help me.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Seems Like technically you are talking about an AI program that learns from it's mistakes. There are AI programs that can do this right now but not available to the general public.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Take it from someone who has traced computer crashes at the physical hardware level to the specific pin of failure.

When a computer crashes, there is no moment of enlightenment. There is very specifically a moment of chaos which when detected; triggers an orderly shutdown in defense of the remaining order.

It is all on off switches, there is not sentience, only sequences of pre determined events stacked logically to get desired and predetermined end results.

The computer does not know it is printing words or letters. A particular wire gets a signal for each individual dot or character. Unthinking, unknowing. Like a meat grinder, grinding out little sausages all in neat little rows.

No little people in there sending messages.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There are too little people in there call founits and they have fornus to keep writers writing (j/k).
Btw that is from the steven king novella ballad of a flexible bullet.

[edit on 8/30/2008 by chimpy38]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian

It is all on off switches, there is not sentience, only sequences of pre determined events stacked logically to get desired and predetermined end results.

but when you think about it the hooman brain works much the same way, except it uses a combination of electrical charges and chemical reations as opposed to just electrical charges

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

but when you think about it the hooman brain works much the same way, except it uses a combination of electrical charges and chemical reations as opposed to just electrical charges

Ding, and this is why I doubt things like AI. But you are missing 1 giant question here.

To whom are these electrical singles being converted for? What makes you you? Those electrical signals are being processed to your consciousness.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Computers aren't enough like human brains to support anything like intelligence or enlightenment. They know nothing, feel nothing, and perceive nothing. Computers are an extrapolation on very simple principles of Boolean logic. You may as well expect your slide rule to become enlightened the split second before you smash it against a rock.

Computer hardware is simply not capable of supporting real thought. maybe if it becomes fast enough, it could simulate in software a system capable of thinking, but that's far, far beyond the capabilities of even the best supercomputer ever planned or built.

For computers to become self-aware, there will either have to be a drastic change in their architecture or even fundamental design, or they will have to advance in power several orders of magnitude.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Of course computers arent enough like human brains. They cant feel anything and they dont know anything. But technicaly we dont feel anything eiher. Every thing that you expierence is related to a vibration in the universe. Noone really sees green grass, your brain interprets it a something we have labeled as green with something that looks like giant hair,grass. I think computers are like the number zero, what ever you put in them thats what they will become. You can set up a programs logic to feel, or taste, or tell you if something is off key, you can model a computer after a brian. I agree we arent close but, Its very possible. Its in fact the future.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Your post reminded me of a book I once read called "Mother of God" in which a computer science experiment at Oxford gets out of control. The book is an intriguing mixture of information about AI, psychoanalytic theory, and serial-killer investigations.

An American criminal investigator is actively tracking and slowly closing in on a very unique serial-killer using a sophisticated psychological profile. He notices a strikingly similar string of murders in another country and worries that either a copycat killer is on the loose or his murder has moved on. Once he lands in England, his investigation and his life are completely thrown into disarray by what he discovers about the murderers. The only thing he can do is find and stop the killers, who have complete control of any computer system they want, before he becomes their next target.

As a technophile, I often cringe when I read a book or watch a movie that contains computer interaction because technology is often dealt with in overly simplistic terms. I never had that feeling reading this book. It is easily one of the better technology-based thrillers out there.

Jon

top topics

join