It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters Denied Access To Attorneys!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Protesters Denied Access To Attorneys!

www.roguegovernment.com

The ACLU issued a stinging rebuke to the Denver Police Department Wednesday, alleging that the department may have violated laws and constitutional rights of protesters arrested outside the Democratic National Convention.

In the letter, obtained by RAW STORY, the ACLU revealed that the police refused those arrested access to attorneys. Police did not let detainees use phones unless they posted their own bonds, and even failed to provide shoes, in one case marching a protester into court in bare feet and leg shackles, according the ACLU
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is what a police state is all about folks They want to take away your constitutional rights and thats just for starters.

www.roguegovernment.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hello. I'm curious. In the past during these type of conventions, republican or democrat, were there protests such as these? I mean have there always been this type of dissension against the politico? I understand there always has been, but of this magnitude? I don't remember hearing these type of things.

I am ashamed to say I am 29 years old and only in the past 2 years have I really started paying attention to or caring about politics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Then again I used to believe main stream media was the news!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash With Police
By DIANE CARDWELL and MARC SANTORA

Published: September 1, 2004

series of demonstrations rippled across Manhattan last night when protesters tried to converge on the Republican National Convention, as a day of planned civil disobedience erupted into clashes with police officers and led to the arrest of more than 900 people.

The wave of confrontations - which included a brawl with the police at the New York Public Library, marauding crowds cursing at delegates in Midtown and the detention of hundreds of protesters near ground zero - created a day of disorder in a convention week already marked by sustained protests against the Bush administration and the war in Iraq
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the more they keep on doing this the bigger the group that finds and sees the truth for what it really is grows.

spread the word.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
2004 Republican National Convention protest activity

2004 Republican National Convention protest activity includes the broad range of marches, rallies, performances, demonstrations, exhibits, and acts of civil disobedience in New York City to protest the 2004 Republican National Convention and the nomination of President George W. Bush for the 2004 U.S. presidential election, as well as a much smaller number of people who marched to support Bush at the convention.

Hundreds of groups organized protests, including United for Peace and Justice, a coalition of more than 800 anti-war and social justice groups, and International ANSWER. Over 1800 individuals were arrested by the authorities, a record for a political convention in the U.S. However 90% of those charges were eventually dropped.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I really did not need to hear about this. My blood is boiling.

Stray dogs get better treatment than the protesters are getting.

I've finally had enough.

I protested from coast to coast in the 70's and I can sure do it again. I dusted off my old beret and put it upon my head.

Maybe it's time for us old folks to become active in fighting for our freedoms. It isn't enough to contribute donations to candidates anymore. We need to give our blood, sweat and tears once again.

United we stand.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Before long we will have a curfew and be living under martial law? Fascism is alive and well here in the USA! Could someone please tell me again how this is a democracy? LOL

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by goose

It isn't. Democracies allow you to demonstrate against bad decisions, and educate the public as to those decisions and the causes you support.

The US isn't a free country.

(And before the hillbillies get in here, just because you can drive between states in your pickup truck doesn't mean you are free... heck, even the worst fascist governments in history still allowed their citizens to roam around.)

Free countries allow the people to disagree with them, and to let their disagreements be known en-masse.

This group had a permit. Was exercising their right to disagree within the confines of the permitted zone... and the police pushed them out of that zone so they could start arresting them.

Disgusting.

Ah well...

"The best thing about the United States is it's northern border. Because no matter how bad things get, you can always cross it.
The best thing about Canada is it's southern border. Because no matter how bad things get, you've always got something worse to laugh at."
- Anonymous

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's all okay... The other part of the story which is not printed here is that the citys usually lose their butts in lawsuits and those cops that are involved usually end up on the street without a job and the mayor of the city usually doesn't repeat for another term, and his/her career in politics is ruined. The City of Denver will be going bankrupt with all the lawsuit soon. The civil rights attorney here, David Lane, has never lost a case and the entire state is afraid of him. This week he found 900 new clients and the total tab for the DNC, the cops and the city could be around 900 X 300k each so watch and wait.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
This week he found 900 new clients and the total tab for the DNC, the cops and the city could be around 900 X 300k each so watch and wait.

I think that's the main problem...all most of us do is "watch and wait"
Cmon America nip it in the bud before it spread's too far.

Show the world the people/civilian's wont lie down and take this crap.

Please for everyone's sake.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

And before the hillbillies get in here, just because you can drive between states in your pickup truck doesn't mean you are free.

Hillbillies are very aware we are loosing our freedom. If that pickup is pulling a livestock trailer you better have your papers in order before you cross that stateline.

The Equine Horse Passport in the Southern States, Think its "Voluntary"?
www.animalagriculture.org...

NAIS takes our land and animals and makes us stakeholders the "politically correct" word for serf.

LEGAL DEFINATION OF STAKEHOLDER:
A stakeholder is a person who holds money or other property while its owner is being determined. A stakeholder is typically involved when two persons bet on the outcome of a future event and have a third person act as the stakeholder, holding the money (or "stake[s]") they have both wagered (or "staked") until the event occurs. Courts may act as stakeholders, holding property while litigation between the possible owners resolves the issue of which one is entitled to the property. Other examples of stakeholders include trustees who hold property until beneficiaries come of age, or an escrow agent who holds part of the purchase price of property is being held until some condition is satisfied.
A stakeholder in the context of business refers to everyone with an interest (or "stake") in what the entity does. That includes a business' vendors, employees, and customers, as well as members of a community where its offices or factory may affect the local economy or environment.

SOURCE: definitions.uslegal.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm going to hate to see what happens next week at the RNC, considering there will probably be much more protesters there.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Here's what the ACLU actually said:
www.aclu-co.org...

It appears that in spite of the ACLU's efforts to get people to understand what the laws were and what the regulations were for protesting, some people ignored the advice and counsel. Others (who were legally protesting) got caught in the action when the protestors who were breaking the law got into trouble with the police.

Some apparently innocent bystander were also involved. If there were orders to disperse, they were inaudible to the legal observers.

The time processing 900 people was quite lengthy (which they protested) and the jail wasn't prepared to handle that many people. Tickets that were given out to people included misleading and duplicate information.

...etc.

The ACLU did put up a lot of information about how to legally protest:
www.9news.com...

Right now there are reports of police in the area:
www.associatedcontent.com...

I think we should wait to hear both sides.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Back in the late 60s I did a march for humanity in Jersey City New Jersey.

In the first mile the mayor got his picture taken with us.

By the fifth mile the police were riding through the crowd in the opposite direction doing wheelies on their motorcycles, as we sang we shall overcome. I was about ten at the time. The picture of the mayor makes the news. The motorcycles come after the presses roll, and the evening news is canned.

Welcome to Amerika!

top topics

join