It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are you on the UK 'fat map'?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I just did a shop @ Tesco online and including the delivery charge and minus my loyalty coupons I redeemed, I spent a little under £100.

What I got for this was 12 pints of fresh milk, 6 loaves of bread, 1.5Kg of skinless chicken breasts, assorted fresh veg (several kilo's), 2Kg of lean beef steak mince, 1Kg of sausages (good ones too!), 2Kg of lamb chops, 20 oranges, 10 bananas, a couple of boxes of cereals, 6 frozen chicken pieces with the Southern coating (they are quite yummy), 6 Kievs, some pizza's, 2Kg of pasta, various salad vegetables (again a couple of Kilo's), mini-kiev balls (they are yummy too!) and other odds and ends for the house.

I am probably missing alot of what I bought, but the point is that I got a huge quantity of fresh food for under a ton, which will last me, the missus and the two parasites we call children for much of the month.

As you can see, the vast majority of the food is stuff you have to prepare for yourself and is, on the whole, fresh.

Now, if I was to feed the family on processed, pre-prepared foods or takeaway, I would be lloking at an average cost per meal of around £8-£10. That is anywhere between £240-£300 a month.

there is no excuse to eat crap, other than ignorance or laziness.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I live in Wolverhampton, West Midlands, There's some right fat monsters around here.
High unemployment, lack of education, too many Kebab shops, McDonalds, KFC, Burgers, Hotdogs and Grey Peas. I'm so glad we don't have battered Mars bars around here.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by AGENT_T

there is no excuse to eat crap, other than ignorance or laziness.

A little judgemental that imo.
Some of the fat stuff tastes great.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Ha Ha!! Deep fried Mars Bars are soooo FINE!! Really yummy! Especially rolled up in lovely squishy white bread with a quarter inch of butter on.....mmmmm!! Feel those arteries furring up.......excellent!

Cait

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Ok, probably should rephrase it as that's not what I meant.

There is no excuse to eat crap all the time, then wonder why your fat.

I fully agree that it does taste good, note the few items of processed chicken pieces I bought from tesco. However, a diet consisting wholly of these items will lead to ruin and the only excuse for eating it constantly is laziness.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae I'm damn sure we didn't eat out of packets, ,even if we weren't that wealthy.

Cait

Oh yes indeed.

Maybe if people bought food in proper quantities instead of 'ready meal' portions.Then they wouldn't also be bitching about the amount of rubbish they can or cannot throw in their wheelie bins.

Bins with wheels? what's the world coming to?.. They're supposed to be big and metal and you needed to be a wrestler to lift them
:

I don't even carry 'packet' meals out camping.A couple of small tupperware tubs loaded with goodies to see me through the first couple of days

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

They do the same here in the southern US, only they make deep fried Snickers bars. Same thing, different candy bar.

Either way extremely unhealthy but very delicious

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

That's a really good point that I missed...portion control...I blame Marks and Spencer! They started the whole ready meal thing in the UK, and their portions are all way too big.

Cait

[edit on 28-8-2008 by caitlinfae]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Ooooohh...deep fried Snickers...I like the sound of that! Are they the ones with the peanuts in them....? That would be delicious, especially with some deep fried mozzarella on the side....

Now you see why our national heart attack rates are the way they are....

Cait

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Too big? Ha, not in my book! Not big enough I say! But I do share your sentiments about the whole "ready meal" culture. People want things NOW and aren't willing to put some effort in.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I used to order from a british take-out when we lived in NY.
Yummy deserts:
DEEP FRIED MARS BAR
DEEP FRIED TOFFEE CRISP
BELTBUSTER (CHOCOLATE SANDWICH!)
BANANA FRITTER
PINEAPPLE FRITER

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Some of the fat stuff tastes great.

TOTALLY..

But as Stu put it,not as your day-in day out diet.

The most disgusting self-indulgent thing about it is..While people CAN'T get access to food in poorer countries,people in the 'priviliged' areas of the world load up with nauseating amounts..
llowing their benefits on lard,then go to their local doctors complaining they can't lose weight so can they qualify for 'lipo' or something..or even more stupid..Spend MORE benefit money on fad diets/shakes/pills.

link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

You are right about trying to drag kids out to get exercise. I think we are going to see a generation of kids dropping dead of heart attacks at 35 to 50 years of age. My cousin just had his.

On women:
I always loved the lonely hearts club ad from a man in Maine "wanted woman with sensible shoes"

No if I wasn't married and I was 30 years younger...Actually I prefer my hiking underground but not in mines.

link   

Hahaha...yeah there are some real wide loads down here as well.

I highly recommend the Snickers, peanuts, caramel and chocolate battered and fried.

Southerners deep fry just about everything, even Twinkies.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Maybe its just me, but I personally dont find 10% of an areas population being classed as obese to be a high figure. If some one had asked me the question before reading the OPs thread I would have stated a much higher figure.

Back to the BMI ..... It is a little known fact that it is very inaccurate measurement to take of someone. I know this, because I measure peoples BMI's everyday. I would bet that a large part of the Household Division would be termed Obese or of bordering it ...... according to the BMI.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I was surprise too that Scotland wasn't worse, and it's reasuring to read what you're saying about bmi...mine says I should be classed as obese ( prefer Fertility Goddess myself!), but I think I'm ok...a few extra pounds that I really should lose, but ok. Although a nurse did tell me recently that my weight was fine....it's just that I was six inches too short....

Cait

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
There was a piece on BBC news tonight about how people live longer depending on where they live. In a rough part of Glasgow, the average age was only 53
Imagine that, the average age being 53! Not far away, in a more affluent area, the average age was 83. Literally, only miles apart, and such a difference.

A massive shame really, like other posters have stated, healthier food is cheaper than all that crap. I don't understand it. I think it's bad habits picked up from bad parenting.

[edit on 28uThursday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If you want to check your BMI, here is a link:-

www.bbc.co.uk...

You may be surprised.

link   
Damn the north east looks pretty bad!

Seriously though I think this problem comes from laziness/lack of eductaion.

Laziness because some people simply cant be bothered to spend 10-20 mins preparing a meal when you can stick a microwave meal in and just leave it while you go back to the goggle box.

Lack of education becuase home economics in school now is just plain rubbish, I can remember my HE classes off a few years back and the only thing we actually learned to cook in the WHOLE 2 years was a measly pizza and some stringy soup that looked like vomit, these wern't done in 1 lesson either these were projects which took weeks or months to do it was a shocking waste of time!

I dont buy into the whole poverty side of it either because I've been on the bones of my a*** now for months and have been eating much healthier food, being poor is no excuse to eat junk, healthy food is cheap as long as you dont go for M&S brands.

link   

Originally posted by Wotan It is a little known fact that it is very inaccurate measurement to take of someone.

I totally agree.
When they first started guaging height/weight etc way back when.. I remember Sly Stallone falling in the grossly overweight section..HUH?? the guy was in his best shape ever..Rocky III-ish.

I tend to go with the visual side.. If someone has to stop to stuff their rolls of fat back into their shirt,then it's a pretty good ign they're not slim

Or if a girl gets out a taxi and is standing in line for a nightclub while her ass is still IN the taxi..You know what I mean Harry?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join