It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin accuses U.S. of orchestrating Georgian war

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Putin accuses U.S. of orchestrating Georgian war

www.cnn.com

SOCHI, Russia (CNN) -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the United States of orchestrating the conflict in Georgia to benefit one of its presidential election candidates.

In an exclusive interview with CNN's Matthew Chance in the Black Sea city of Sochi Thursday, Putin said the U.S. had encouraged Georgia to attack the autonomous region of South Ossetia.

Putin told CNN his defense officials had told him it was done to benefit a presidential candidate -- Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama are competing to succeed George W. Bush -- although he presented no evidence to back it up
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hmmm.... Putin suggest a US conspiracy designed to aid a certain presidential candidate. I thought the rest of the world was pro-Obama. Since I don't see how this situation really benefits McCain, it must only mean it is meant to benefit Obama. So would Putin be coming out against Obama then?

The only angle I could see beling played for McCain is that he has military experience and would be better qualified to handle a situation if it devlelopes in that area. However, McCains military experience and qualifications have already been in play from the begining, and have not been brought up much, if any, since the Russia-Georgian situation developed.

I don't see Obama making any case out of the situation either. So what is he really saying?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The situation benefitted McCain quite a lot, since the attack took place while Obama was on vacation. McCain appeared every day in the press, speaking about the conflict.

I would say it brought him back into the spotlight. And I believe Putin is on to something. Does it really seem smart to assume that the Georgians were just crazy and went to attack Russian civilians for no reason? I dont think so. This was a plan. Someones plan. And its still unfolding.

You know another thing I found interesting? When the first attack happened, I heard a CNN reporter talk about the conflict and he used the term "nobody wants a cold war yet" and then quickly changed it to "nobody wants a cold war again".

Now, a couple of weeks later, we hear talk in the media about how a new cold war may be forming. Coincidence?

I think people need to get out of the mindset that things "just happen". Somebody makes these things happen and its not because they wake up angry one day and decides to attack something randomly.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You know, I considered this last week, but in the end, I dismissed it out of hand. Now reading that report, it all makes sense. If this true, then it just shows how far the current administration will go to further their agendas.

A total disregard again, for the poor sods, the people.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino blasted Putin's statements, saying they were "patently false." "To suggest that the United States orchestrated this on behalf of a political candidate just sounds not rational," she said. U.S. State Department deputy spokesman Robert Wood concurred, and labeled Putin's statements as "ludicrous."

I'd like to believe those words, but I don't believe anything that comes out of their corrupt mouths. They've lied too many times, nothing they say can be taken seriously. It's just like the boy cried wolf.

[edit on 28uThursday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

He spoke about it like everyone spoke about it. I don't think he said anything different than the vast majority of politicians. I didn't see him getting much press coverage on the issue while it was in full bloom. Obama was making all of the political news with his President for the world campaign he had going on. Actually, Obama has received the majority of press coverage since before the primaries. So while you thought that the news showing McCain making comments on the situation was bringing him 'back in the spot light' I saw him receive about the same amount as usual.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
I'd like to believe those words, but I don't believe anything that comes out of their corrupt mouths. They've lied too many times, nothing they say can be taken seriously.

There is a flaw in that logic. Just because they (may have) lied about other issues, doesn't mean that everything they say is a lie. I tend to believe that you should take everything the government says with a grain of salt and lots of research. I have yet to see any evidence that the us orchestrated the whole ordeal, only that they supported georgia before and after the incident.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
does this really surprise anyone? Not that Putin suggested it, but that it is a strong possibility that our government did what they wanted to get what they wanted?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with reigniting the Cold War and pumping up defense budgets than it does with the election.

However I think Putin is merely stating the obvious when he says the US orchestrated it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Im not sure if this is relevant to the conversation. But it maybe, There was a thread on A.T.S. about Bush having hand delivered a letter to Putin. Perhaps this new Cold War is what was covered?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

I couldn't agree more. WH Spokesperson? Talk about a joke, they're only mouthpieces. What they say has zero, and i repeat ZERO credibility because they are specifically appointed to deliver press conferences and do damage control. IE, they spin the truth and lie their asses off, even if they don't know it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh, Putin...he knows very little of the fact that America is for advancing freedom all over the world. When Bush said "freedom's on the march!" I guess Putin wasn't listening. Just because Bush has a few months left in office, does not mean he is going to be bullied. I've seen Rocky IV, deep down they love us.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
All he has is an accusation. I accuse Putin of looking for a good excuse to go an invade Georgia to send a message to NATO. And how I conluded that? The quick and overwhelming response by Russia so quickly. It was like he was waiting for the right moment to do something.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
"Putin told CNN his defense officials had told him"
Oh and they would know that how exactly???
From there made up lies I presume??
He really needs to get some better defense officials.....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is all intensely worrying.

Sanctions against Russia too?

Was that always the goal? Sanctions, like banning anyone outside Russia from buying Russian oil or gas.... My my, THAT would be helpful to so many western elite interests.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Well when it comes to these types of issues no one can be trusted. I can't help but be concerned about the 2 hurricanes that have the US coast in their sites. Our resources would be at their limits if we had to respond to 2 major hurricanes and with our troops spread so thin already, we are a sitting duck!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Randy Scheunemann, the senior foreign policy advisor for John McCain, worked for four years as a paid lobbyist for the Georgian government.

Link to Article

Before you dismiss that possibility, consider the role of one Randy Scheunemann, for four years a paid lobbyist for the Georgian government who ended his official lobbying connection only in March, months after he became Republican presidential candidate John McCain’s senior foreign policy adviser.

In 2005, while registered as a paid lobbyist for Georgia, Scheunemann worked with McCain to draft a congressional resolution pushing for Georgia’s membership in NATO. A year later, while still on the Georgian payroll, Scheunemann accompanied McCain on a trip to that country, where they met with Saakashvili and supported his bellicose views toward Russia’s Vladimir Putin.

Scheunemann is at the center of the neoconservative cabal that has come to dominate the Republican candidate’s foreign policy stance in a replay of the run-up to the war against Iraq. These folks are always looking for a foreign enemy on which to base a new Cold War, and with the collapse of Saddam Hussein’s regime, it was Putin’s Russia that came increasingly to fit the bill.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
www.homelandsecurityus.com...

This was an interesting map I just stumbled upon, check it out.

BRB

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
From there made up lies I presume??

*twitch*

I'm sorry, I just have a "there their they're" peeve when people spell it wrong.

It probably was orchestrated by the US, all things considered. I don't really see why Russia would plan it out since it hasn't been beneficial for them yet, unless there's something in the long run that I don't know about.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

It is probably true that Russia was waiting for an excuse to get into Georgia. But one cannot find fault in their preparation for the assault. I'm sure that if we (the US) had knowledge that another country was very likely to attack one of our interests, we would have the appropriate assets in place and our battle plans ready for a quick and overwhelming response.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Pathetic.

"I believe that Putin is speaking the truth." Putin. Ex KGB. Wow!

Why would the U.S. start this?

Hegemony? Nope.

Oil? Why? The pipeline was not threatened until Russia came IN Georgia.

The election? Unless you think that Dubya is the most Machiavellian human in Earth and wields unchecked power over the world...

I can't think of a reason that would benefit the U.S.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join