It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frustrated Reply Searcher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ok, I like this forum because it is very active. The problem is that it is very active. It's a catch 22 situation. I'm sure some one will solve my problem here.

I post a comment and want to follow up on it with the remarks and stuff. I don't care about the replies before me just the ones after.

Because I don't remember if I posted the comment on page 5 or page 25 I can spend a lot of wasted time looking for my last post to continue. I've found the link that list my replies on a thread but how do I go directly to my last reply so I can continue without spending five to ten frustrating minutes just finding where I was.

I'm sure there is something simple that I'm overlooking, so what is it?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i am also curious, there should be an easier way to check on replies.

maybe someone will shed some light on this.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I know what you mean, Mr M....it's just that we need another column in the posts page on our profiles that tells us the page of the post...is it possible? It would be a simple solution, if it is....

If there is another way, I haven't found it yet...

Cait

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Okay..a bit of a run around to do this, but less than 10 minutes...

When you log in, find any post you have done in any fashion. There are many ways to do this within seconds of logging in.

After you have found -any- post of yours, look at the bottom of your post and click on the 'Posts' tab.

You will be forwarded to a list of your posts.

Click on 'thread posts' in the thread you wish to re-visit.

This will show you all of your posts in that thread. Click "Reply To" on your earliest/desired post, copy the url that is displayed in the reply to window and paste it in your browser.

I know it is a long winded process, and as the website continues to grow, we may expect to see some further enhancements.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Anything is better than scrolling through tons of pages just to see if anyone replied to my comment. Thanks for the info dude!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Click on 'thread posts' in the thread you wish to re-visit.

This will show you all of your posts in that thread. Click "Reply To" on your earliest/desired post, copy the url that is displayed in the reply to window and paste it in your browser.

Hmm, that doesn't work because it doesn't get the page number correct in the URL. Same thing with the 'this post' button, when viewing a single user's posts in a thread (&mem= on the end of the URL). The page number is that of the post in the limited view, not the page number of the post in the thread with all posts visible. (Hopefully this explanation makes sense).

It would be nice if the 'reply to' and 'this post' buttons worked properly, when viewing only the posts from a particular user in a thread. If so, that would indeed provide a solution, as you suggest.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have ran into the same conundrum. The only way to see recent replies at times is going back to recent posts...but then they don't show on the thread??

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
it would be nice to have a reply tracker of some sorts, maybe on the profile right next to " posts " so everytime someone replied to you it would show and be easily trackable.

im not sure if that would be difficult or not, but its just an idea.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this.....

As of the posting of MemoryShocks comment it worked. I've have noticed that this does not work any more as of the last few days.

I have twenty years computer experience and know exactly why. This forum is solely run to make money off the adds. Therefore they want people spending as much time surfing as possible. The more adds you see the more than likely you will click one. If you by pass all the pages and go directly to the page you are looking for than they lose on chances of you clicking an add.

The webmaster seen that comment and simply changed it to make sure people continuely surf around looking for posts.

You can't blaim them, that is the name of the internet game. Get people browsing your site as much as possible to make money.

Too bad they are not savy enough to figure out a medium because I will not even bother with looking for my post if I have to spend to much time. I will just participate in new threads like so many others do.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

I don't know if this will help you, and it only works for me in firefox and maybe IE. Once you've made your reply, wait for the page to load displaying your reply, then click bookmark this page from your browser. If you go back to that thread through your bookmarks, it takes you directly to your post, the page it posted to, and where on the page it ended up, and you can now follow through with exactly where you left off. The only issues with this is it collects alot of bookmarks! But you can delete them later. I just do it on some replies. I found it by accident and thought it was handy.

Or I just use it when not replying, to keep track of what posts I read up to.

I find the posts button doesn't work for me personally, because it only shows the posts in a list, and clicking into the thread doesn't show me what page and what part of the page my reply ended up on.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by violet]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Thank you for your help and advice, you are so kind.

I've thought of that but then managing a long list of ATS bookmark would be just as much of a hassle as going through the posts to find your last reply.

That might be good for others that are reading though.

new topics

top topics

join