It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sympathetic Suffering - A Form of Psychic Healing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There have been several times in my life where I've wished that I could take the pain someone else was feeling and alleviate their suffering. Sometimes, it seems to work!

The most recent example is my daughter. She's only ~3 weeks old, and she was suffering from terrible gas. It was obvious that she was really in pain, and it distressed me a great deal to see it. I wished like Hell that I could take it on myself and save her the discomfort.

Sure enough, her gas seems to have gone away, and now I've developed this wicked indigestion that I can't seem to shake. To be fair, we did notice a slight decline in her apparent discomfort when we started feeding her upright, that was about a week ago. In the last 3 days though, she appears to have gotten rid of it entirely, and I've developed my own very uncomfortable case of gas.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. I've 'taken' toothaches and migraines in the past...

Is this just a pyscho-somatic response, where my body develops the symptoms in response to my empathy and desire, like a mind over matter situation? Or is this a case of pure coincidence? Perhaps it's neither, and there really is some intangible conduit between human beings that allows energy of various sorts to pass back and forth.

There are, of course, a number of proponents of that theory. Most people still seem to regard it as nonsense, understandably, even if they do have one or two anecdotal experiences like mine (and I've found that many people do).

So, I put it to you, the members, have any of you ever experienced a phenomenon like this?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have had same experiences, it is possible to share pain or take it away a bit.

I read a piece long ago (wish I knew where) that everybody has this ability but a lot of people have never had the faith to try.

It's good you have.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I would think most bond with their children by possibly recalling these events from their own memory and childhood rather than some psychic ability.

Empathy shouldn't have to be so direct of a connection. My ex-wife did say I was more connected emotionally to the television than my own family though. When I see something on TV that looks painful, I get some amount of painful electrical charge in my spine and probably why I don't watch certain films.

It does sound like there's something much closer from what you claim. I don't suppose you also share nightmares? This psychic connection sounds as if it's directed from the child rather than you.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
btw animals have this effect too.

I have experienced that.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I know I've taken people's aches (headaches usually). I always thought of it as 'lightening the person's load': Your ailment is a burden, and I'll willingly take some of it to ease you.

I'm fairly certain that my cat helped me through my last cold: he followed me to bed, in which I lived for the first 2 days. For awhile, he was nose-to-nose with me, and stayed with me while I slept -- normally he vacates the bed after about half-an-hour, but he stayed with me until I got up. I felt better within 2 days, and noticed he was more lethargic than usual -- no tearing throughout the house, no killing the duck rug, no playing with his catnip toys, no sitting in the window. Just sleeping and eating, and with a cold, wet nose to boot.
The only counter-point question: Can kitties catch colds human colds? He wasn't sneezing or wheezing, didn't hear any coughs... but he definitely wasn't his usual self.

I guess the experiment would be: Person X has an ache. Without asking for specific details, wish to take their ache. If/When you get it, feel it out, and then compare notes on the ache.
However, I think it'd work better (or have better results) if it's someone that you have a connection with... not just a co-worker, but someone you live with, or see on a daily basis. I'm thinking it works better because the energies are more in sync, like girls who menstruate at the same time of the month after living with each other for awhile.
(....I wonder if a guy could take away/ease a girl's menstrual cramps... A stomach-ache, sure, because both have stomachs. But with no uterus... hrm.
)

Pick your religion/spirituality, there's a lot of instances of healing via psychic energy, a lot of rituals, and a general belief that one can be psychically healed -- either by oneself or by other people, long-distance or right next to you.

Random sources with more random info regarding various forms of psychic healing:
The Roots of Consciousness -- a bit of this and that throughout histoy with regards to psychic healing
The Science of Psychic Healing -- downloadable book by Yogi Ramacharaka

...hard to find stuff that isn't ads.

top topics

join