It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Springs holding the new ares1 rocket together?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Recent doubts have come into many minds at NASA as it is said that some scientists are thinking of switching to another rocket design. Recent tests of the new Ares 1 rocket have revealed massive amounts of vibrations at the base of the rocket. The new problem however was put to rest by the addition of giant springs to eliminate the vibrations.

Last week, a blog published by the Orlando Sentinel, Florida, reported that the design had fallen out of favour after serious vibrations arose in tests. Doug Cooke of NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate says he has heard no such talk among senior management. The agency says it has found a way to cancel out the vibrations using giant springs at the base of the rocket.

Link: space.newscientist.com...

The worrying fact is if these springs buckle or break somehow then everyone is dead.

So what do you guys think? Should NASA abandon this design and go with other competing ideas? Or stick with this design and push on?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
well to be precise modern technology has come far from the earlier springs and there are a variety of springs made to specific needs and can be made stronger by using titanium or chromium.

Anyway it is better than the pyrotechnic bolt that seperates the external tank and boosters in the shuttle.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm not worried about the Ares I (yet
)

If you saw the Science Channel Series "Moon Machines", you would know that ALL of the Apollo equipment (Saturn V, Commond Module, LEM, Space Suits, etc) had many, many design issues that on the surface seemed insurmountable -- but all of those problems were overcome.

I suppose it is possible that the Ares I, Ares V, the Orion CEV, or the Antares LEM would have so many problems that the whole constellation program would be put at risk, but it's too early to say that right now.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I agree. I doubt that NASA would change their plans this far into development if problems start arising. Its just a case of how many fundamental problems will arise up until the new rockets and CEV is flying. Hopefully everything will work out well and these new rockets and spacecraft will be more reliable than the current space shuttle and the external fuel tanks.

top topics

join