It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Pet Food Poisoning -- Special Kitty Gourmet...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Atlanta local news is saying that a couple of people think their cats may have died from eating Special Kitty Gourmet Cat Food sold at Wal-Mart stores.

If anyone feeds this to their cat they would be wise to stop IMMEDIATELY.

Remember two years ago, when supposedly "10 pets died" from melanin poisoning and several brands of dog and cat food were recalled? Those "10 pets" were part of the 30 animals used for their quarterly pet food taste studies. In reality it is likely that thousands, or even tens of thousands of animals died as a result of eating tainted food but no tracking methods are used, plus they did not realize they were selling tainted food until those test subjects died. Big brother is not on top of this issue.

So far Wal-Mart is not recalling the food, I have no idea if they are testing it.

Here is a local news video on the topic:

www.wsbtv.com...

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
OH Gosh not again!
I used to buy WalMart food for my cats, but I switched last year.
This is awful.
Not going to make a mountain out of a molehill yet. I'll wait to see what happens.
Not sure either if any of this would affect us up here in Canada.
If I remember correctly though, the last contaminated pet food crossed borders.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I still buy food at Wal-Mart but stick to major brands like Friskies (I have a diabetic cat, carb restricted diet, fortunately Friskies is a common cat food that has many low carb formulas).

But I do think this is important for ATS pet owners to be aware of. I do not know if this pet food is poisonous (but we ARE talking a Wal-Mart brand here, they are weighing pennies at this moment, and if the pennies add up to more than potential lawsuits the food will probably stay on the shelves indefinitely) and if it is causing kidney damage...ugh. Renal failure is is horrid, slow, and...well...very bad.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. My kitty is such a snob, if she saw the Wal-Mart logo she would cop serious attitudes. I have to hide the fact that her food is diet kitty chow.

It is so weird. If she sees me poring it from the bag she won't eat it. I have to be sneaky and wait when see is asleep, pour it and run. She wakes up and then sniffs and inspects the food every time before eating.

I swear she can read labels!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
Thanks for the info. My kitty is such a snob, if she saw the Wal-Mart logo she would cop serious attitudes. I have to hide the fact that her food is diet kitty chow.

It is so weird. If she sees me poring it from the bag she won't eat it. I have to be sneaky and wait when see is asleep, pour it and run. She wakes up and then sniffs and inspects the food every time before eating.

I swear she can read labels!

Instead of diet kitty put her on low carb canned. Cats were not designed to eat grains/vegetable carbs, they are carnivors.

Hate to lecture but I have a sugar cat, and filling the needle with insulin twice a day makes one think twice about the dry food crap the vets and stores push.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No, thanks for the kitty knowledge! I'll give it a try, but doesn't canned food give them real bad breath? That's all I need is to wake up with a cat with bad breath licking my face!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't think canned food gives them bad breath. Maybe the seafood varieties reek a bit, but the chicken/turkey/beef varieties are better than seafood anyways (too much seafood isn't good, lead and all, plus it is way different than what they would eat in the wild, which is rodents and birds).

Now they do have a lot of bacteria in their mouths (cats are very bad in that way) and yeah dry food helps keep some of the tartar down, but for weight control and general health dry food is all carbs which turn into sugar.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks. My cat is a plumper, but she loves to roughhouse around and play alot. She is very active, but she always sleeps on the microwave. I think she's stocky from inhaling all those nuke'em rays for the past three years. She refuses to sleep anywhere else except behind the t.v. and that is where the litter box is.

She sure is a weird cat. I'm expecting her to grow an extra tail from all the nuke'em rays. And yes we use the microwave when she is sleeping. If she is not playing or outside she is sleeping.

Oooops we are getting off topic of the cat food!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My cat will only eat special kitty chicken flavor. The last bag we bought her was in a different colored bag. It said same great taste different look. She wouldn't touch the food. She would run to her full bowl asking for food. She finally started eating the food. Then she was throwing up everywhere. My husband found a bag of the old "look". She dug in like she was starving. (She was). I called the number and they told me nothing was changed except the look of the bag. That sometimes when they make food the only thing that changes is the fat content. Sometimes the food can get more fat that doesn't agree with some cats. They sent me a coupon for a free bag of food. I am now looking for different food that she might eat. I will not feed her special kitty anymore.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Food was recalled, along with several other brands...I started a new thread on that here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

join