It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How exactly do you tell the difference between a prophecy & a simple dream ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
So I sit hit here writing this, wondering to myself just how exactly do people tell the difference between a prophecy & a simple dream.

We all dream, some of us dream more than others, some remember them whilst others forget before they wake up. Some dream of future events which may or may not come true, some dream of fantasy things, some dream of the past, others dream of being heroes etc

The question is though what makes a dream become a prophecy ? Is there some kind of instinct which sets in that makes you 100% sure what you dreamt is going to happen and if so how can you be sure that 100% certainty isn't just some warped hope of what you dreamt happening so you end up making yourself believe it because you want it to be true ?

I've had dreams of the future, some wacky which will never ever happen, but I've had others which are more on the realistic side of things. However I have never taken any of my dreams to be predictions of events about to happen despite me thinking it might be interesting if it did happen despite some of them being disastrous, now it may be because I lack the faith to believe in dreams coming true so I don't believe they are prophecies despite the fact they could indeed be prophecies.

So I ask you all, just how exactly are differentiating what exactly is a dream and what is a prophecy and also to those who may not have had prophecies themselves but are happy to believe what others have dreamt as a true prophecy which has 100% certainty of occuring how do you choose between what is merely a dream from someone and what is a prophecy ?

p.s sorry if this is the not the forum to discuss this topic about prophecies

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't know that I want to classify my precognitive visions as "prophecies" so I'll stick to answering the difference between a vision and a dream.

A vision never goes away - the memory doesn't fade. In fact, I have found that the memory of real life events fade while the visions remain as if they just occurred.

A vision has immense emotion with it. It is the equivalent of a real-life experience. And while the actual actions taking place in the vision may be symbolic, the emotions are where the message lie.

P.S. Didn't give the difference for dreams. Dreams tend to fade in memory (some times you can't even remember them when you wake up). And they tend to not have the emotion within them. In other words, a dream may invoke an emotion, but the emotion is a reaction caused by the stimulus in the dream, not part of the experience. In a vision, the emotion is part of the experience because it is as if you are living it.

[edit on 8-15-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Hope this helps you. I have found that I have 3 different types of dreams.

The first type of dream is what can be called mental/psychological burn-off. It is disjointed, incongruent, there is no underlying theme and the images and sequences of images do not retain any of the normal perspectives of everday reality. They are just garbage dreams.

The second type of dream is marked by allegory, metaphore, analogy, and psychological archetypes. These dreams typically have some congruency and may flow seamlessly into different scenarios but will have an underlying theme. These are important dreams and usually are indications of your subconscious trying to solve a personal issue whether psychological or in your everyday waking life.

The third type is precognative. It is marked by being indistinguishable from waking reality. You will not jump from one scenario to another and there will be no shifts in perspective. It will always take place from a first person point of view (i.e.-from you own eyes).

That is what I have discovered from analyzing my own dreams for the last 15 years that I have kept a dream journal.

-Euclid

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 15-8-2008 by euclid]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Depends on wether it comes true or not. If it doesn't than it wasn't a prophecy.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
Depends on wether it comes true or not. If it doesn't than it wasn't a prophecy.

That would be an answer given by some one who hasn't had a precognitive vision/prophecy. Because if you had you would know that you have no idea what the timeline is for the fulfillment.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Start keeping a dream journal.

As soon as you wake up from a dream, write down as much as you can remember.

Even if it's in the middle of the night.

You'll be surprised at how much this helps you remember. Also, date the pages .

Then if the evens in the dreams start to actually happen you will have a record.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Disco--

Valhall and Euclid know their stuff.

Prophetic dreams (at least for me) do indeed feel different.

In addition to them being in the first-person, the relevant event causes me to go lucid and then wake up...which is cool, because without going lucid and waking up, it'd be easy to forget the event.

That's how it is for me, at least.

I'd love to have control over when they occur and what they are in regards to, but, alas, that skill eludes me.

top topics

join