It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge says UC can deny religious course credit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Charles Robinson, the university's vice president for legal affairs, said the ruling "confirms that UC may apply the same admissions standards to all students and to all high schools without regard to their religious affiliations." What the plaintiffs seek, he said, is a "religious exemption from regular admissions standards."

I think the court made the correct decision on this. It comes down to a matter of admission standards.

The fact remains that private religious schools want to only teach their point of view, in this case creationism, and reject the valid science of evolution. As these are private schools, they certainly have a right to do this, but it comes at a price.

Why do these private schools feel they should be allowed such an exemption? If anything they should be held to the exact same standards as their public school counterparts.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Finn,
If a person chooses to go to a theological semenary and then decideson a differant course in they're life,
Zindo

Well that is why we have in America Religious colleges that are to be the extension of religious grade schools.

They are accredited and running just fine.

But you can not expect in regular college to accept creationism and bible studies as the basis for science classes.

When it comes to main subjects as Science, math and language the grade schools have to prove that they are following the standards for college preparation.

Private schools none religious base produces better quality of education than public schools and religious base schools that supplement main subjects with religious base curriculum.

Actually many students coming from more strict fundamentalist schools could be lacking.

Remember that any applicant to any college has to fall under the guidelines of the colleges requirements, Creationism or bible studies are not part of those guidelines.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!and they apply just like when a student coming from a community college transfer to a major university, it is at the discretion of the standards of the university to accept the all the credits from the community college.

Now if you earned a two year diploma before transferring to a major university the university can not take away the degree but still can chose which credits to accept, this common practice.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Judge is right. A warm support goes to the University of California for their courageous stand.

If we keep letting these "Bible Belt" idiots into our Universities pretty soon we will have institutions as credible as the fundamentalist schools of Iran, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan...
We will have to send our kids to Europe, or Canada, for them to get a proper education, our best minds will flee from the USA and we will be left with mindless idiotic Teacher/Preachers...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It is interesting that this issue was brought to a court for resolution. Some people, presumably of the religious bent, must have pushed fairly hard to get this reconsidered.

Actually, I'm not sure how a class in creationism can be conducted without a thorough examination of the evolutionary process it claims to supersede. I mean, all told, how could the class run?

Teacher: "God created everything, says so right here..."

Student: "But what about (insert scientific evidence herein)?"

Teacher: "Nope! Say's right here, God created everything"

Student: "Oh, I see."

Teacher: "You do?! Great, A +, class dismissed"

Credits 4. You are now an expert.

The sad thing is this is exactily what happens..... They ignore everything and anything that contradicts the bible because if they were to acknowledge the scientific facts religioun would colapse.

The kids are indoctrinated into the at a early age and have almost no chance at all from the start.. This is exactly why all religions are first and foremost Cults.

Religion is not science.. It is the oposit of rational thought.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I have an associates degree from an accredited college in Tx. years later I went to a SUNY university to see what would be required to get a bachelors, and guess what....
they didn't accept the credits for all the courses that I was required to take for the associates....
so, my question is exactly the same...why should the students from religious schools be given special treatment in this respect. I mean, I just kind of accepted that the college just saw fit not to accept these credits, and it was their right to make that judgement.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

In your case you fall on the out of state littler loop that give major and accredited colleges the choice to dump all the credits you earned on your degree from another state.

They can not take away your degree but they took your credits to force you into having to spend more money in their state to earn your degree.

My daughter when she transfered from our community college to UGA here in GA all her credits were accepted even when she was warned that they could drop most of them after earning her two year degree.

But because she was transferring within the state she was lucky.

Also she didn't change degrees she just advanced into the same degree.

I have the feeling that the whole idea of trying to push acceptance for religious courses is fundamentalist trying to set foot on the door to a whole change on curriculum accreditations forcing like more religion base courses in college outside the standard related courses of theology.

Theology in College most often is not limited to Christianity alone but is more diversified in a comparative enviroment.

That encourage discussion and debate.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm not sure how a class in creationism can be conducted without a thorough examination of the evolutionary process it claims to supersede. I mean, all told, how could the class run?

Teacher: "God created everything, says so right here..."

Student: "But what about (insert scientific evidence herein)?"

Teacher: "Nope! Say's right here, God created everything"

Student: "Oh, I see."

Teacher: "You do?! Great, A +, class dismissed"

Credits 4. You are now an expert.

Evolution is a tiny fraction of science. What percent of scientists ever use or apply knowledge of evolution to their career field? I'd bet close to zero. I'm a science fanatic but skip over any articles about evolution because they have zero bearing on technological advancement. Evolution is all about the past, whereas scientists mostly only care about the future. The concept that a college could throw out science credits because the class does not teach evolution is not a reasonable argument.

I took years of science at both a private Christian school and a public school. The public school learning I did was a joke. The public learning I did was like:

Student: Hi, teacher!

Teacher: Oh, I see you went to class this morning! A+. Class dismissed!

Teacher: Credits 4. You are now an expert.

Think I'm kidding? A lot of my grade in public school was based on showing up to class.

Almost anyone who has been to both public and private Christian school knows that public school science classes are much easier and unless you are in AP they are pretty much a joke. Not awarding science credits due to no evolution background is anti-God politics and is not acceptable in a society where people have religious freedom. In general, Christian school science runs circles around public school science in terms of academic excellence.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines

Nobody ever had a problem with this; it would be like accepting credit in a course that says Fire Golems live in the earth, and that is why lava flows. The court made the right decision in something which shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

BUT THEY DO LIVE UNDER THE EARTH AND CONTROL THE LAVA! ALL HAIL THE FIRE GOLEMS OF DOOM...or didn't you know?

Seriously though, anyone who was "devout" enough to contest that in a court should be turkey slapped. Creationism and evolutionism are BOTH seriously flawed in my humble opinion, but science is still science...unless its a religion. Counting for college credits? Pfft. I wish my Calculus and Trig credits from highschool would be counted in college, but alas, they are not.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

Regardless of whether you believe in creationism as is, or evolutionism as is shouldn't matter. It's about finding the truth, not accepting the words of Mr. Darwin or the hundred or so people that contributed to the Holy Bible. Why can't it be both? Why can't a creative force or, God, or The Flying Spaghetti Monster have instigated the evolutionary process? Is it pride? We all know BOTH serious scientists and religious devotees are arrogant as Hell when it comes to their viewpoints....i.e. science throughout history (such as flight) and the damn Crusades.
People have the right to believe what they want to believe, but I think we should stop bickering and look for the truth together. Obviously, neither side of the coin is ever going to satisfy us, so why not discover what actually IS instead of harping on what COULD be or what MAYBE. I think the truth might be far beyond anything we could ever imagine. So..ta da. That's my two cents. Can I get some CHANGE up in hyeh?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torsten

Regardless of whether you believe in creationism as is, or evolutionism as is shouldn't matter. It's about finding the truth, not accepting the words of Mr. Darwin or the hundred or so people that contributed to the Holy Bible. Why can't it be both?

From a generic theist view, there is absolutely no reason why evolution and belief in God are contradictory. However, the common Christian perspective is that the views are contradictory. The reason for this is that the Holy Bible says humans and Earth were created in seven days. However, there are a couple different Christian perspectives that allow acceptance of evolution. One is that the seven days refer to time in God's universe. The other is that the Holy Bible is just plain wrong about some things.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
Not awarding science credits due to no evolution background is anti-God politics and is not acceptable in a society where people have religious freedom.

I can understand how rejecting the theory of evolution can be considered anti-science politics. We have an entire forum devoted to the very topic of Origins and Creationism. If anyone wants to take a peek at every viewpoint under the sun in regards to creationism, this is the place to go.

That said, private religious schools have the right to teach strictly their point of view. But, as I stated earlier, doing so comes with a price. In this case, the failure to meet all admissions standards when applying to certain colleges and universities.

It is the right of these institutions of higher education to set their admissions standards as they deem fit. In this case, Christian high schools whose textbooks outright rejected evolution in favor of Creationism did not meet admissions standards. It's as simple as that.

This is not an anti-God policy. This is a failure to meet academic criteria.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torsten

Why can't a creative force or, God, or The Flying Spaghetti Monster have instigated the evolutionary process? Is it pride?

Simply put, the theory of evolution is grounded in science. I'm not going to debate the issue here. There's a separate forum for that.

As for the belief in a higher power, be it God or a pasta deity or mysterious entity, to have a hand in setting evolution into play. Well that falls into an area known as philosophical conjecture. Truth is there is no scientific evidence to support this notion.

For those that would argue intelligent design, well that's pretty much the same thing. Philosophical conjecture. Why? Because intelligent design is merely a philosophical view of science. It isn't science. It is metaphysics.

So to answer your question, no it is not a matter of pride. It is a matter of valid science versus philosophical views.

Edit: to fix spelling

[edit on 8/16/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
People needs to understand that regardless of personal views every college in America falls under certain guidelines that are not different from each other, unless is an accredited Christian college that their main subject is theocracy.

Any other accredited Christian schools that involved higher learning of main subjects have to also fall under the guidelines of the rest of the nations college standards.

Perhaps we should ask a major Christian university if they accept Christian bible studies in high schools as main credits for courses if somebody is majoring in pre med.

Guess what!!!!!!!!!!!I doubt it, yes as electives they could be accepted but that can be debatable.

Like I said this is an attempt by religious groups to make an issue in major Universities in the US so they can have a valid reason as why religious bible studies should be substituting curriculum classes in public schools.

I think our quality of education in our public schools is alreayd lacking we don't need to make them any worst.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join