It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not read this thread!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thank you everybody for being willing to admit to reading this. It was in fact curiosity that got me to do it in the first place. I was curious to see who would e defiant.
I am impressed with the number of responses. Way more than I was expecting, but 360 odd reads so far is not surprisng.

wolfmanjack

so do i win a cookie?

Sure. But since the internet is not an easy mdium to transport cookies here is the next best thing....but you have to share with the others
Ingredients
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 cup butter
• 1 large egg
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• if desired, 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix sugar, brown sugar, butter and egg in a large bowl by hand. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. The dough will be very stiff. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown. The centers will be soft. Let cool for one minute then remove from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to finish cooling.

Sven,
I am glad you picked up on the sin thing. Did Eves curiosity get the better of her and is that what made here eat the apple? If so that takes us on a totally different journey. Before the apple was eaten, there was no defiance, so maybe curiosity leads to defiance as some have said?
P.S. I like the very viking sounding name with the Aust based avvy. It might just catch on

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
of course people are going to read it for you posted it! the title is irrelevant because you posted this in a public forum where we would hope every thread gets read at least once by somebody, regardless of the content.

it would make little sense for me NOT to read the thread, since that's what we are here to do on this website...read people's posts.

it's not defiance. i did not think, "haha, i am sticking it to whomever real good!" i thought, "gee, what is this thread going to be about?"

and i do not really see how sin as anything to do with it.

cheers, mate!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by banyan

Of course people are going to read it. I am not that silly nor are the people here. the title s simply an intruduction to the question I am asking. That's what titles are for.

Sin is very relevent. defiance is an act of sinning so when I ask are we curious or defiant I am asking are we curious or sinful? which is the greatest motivator? Are they the same? does one lead to the other?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Oho! You sneaky viking (that is ironic as hell. Anyone who knows anything about vikings will understand why).

Personally, I'm only "defiant" when I see no logical reasoning behind the WHY of why I shouldn't do something. Take this thread for example: Was I going to get punished or injured by viewing this thread? No. Was I going to hurt anyone else? No. Was I going to upset the gnomes that live in closet and whom sometime steal my undergarments?...Well, you really never can tell with those guys..so I can say that one is a 'maybe". Seriously though, I did it because I could and no one would suffer. In my mind, laws of any kind are in the abstract unless they cause harm to another living creature. I forget the name, but on the psychological moral code scale I'm like a six or seven; the highest one.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Torsten

You know, Its funny. A few people have indicated that if they could not see any immediate harm in a defiant act then it should be OK to proceed. Sure, opening this thread will not crash your computer, but then I am not puter litrat enuff to put a virus or other harmful thing in here if I wanted to. But just because we cannot see the posible negative implications, does not mean they are not there. If we tell a child not to touch the oven, they cannot 'see' the heat so touch it anyway and get burned.
I guess this brings me back to my original statement. Does the child touch the oven becasue he is told not to or because they want to find out why they shouldn't?
I know that if I am told something cannot/should not be done without explaination, I then NEED to know why. Sometimes purely out of stubborness and disrespect for the person laying down the law. "I know better than you" type situation. Boy have I been 'burnt' a few times in my life.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I firmly believe that it is our very nature to learn for ourselves despite what we are told and it is a part of the human condition. When we are young we develop on pure instinct of curiosity ie, you might see a gas cooker flame and feel the need to touch it but it hurts and you will never ever make the same mistake again as it is mentally cemented by pain.

It is exactly the same with drugs such as cigarettes or alcohol, the first cig and you are sick, I believe we are already born conditioned physically in this way if that makes sense.

Mentally I think that we constantly learn but we start of the same way. Therefore whenever we are faced with a choice that we have not taken before, cannot relate to from experience or have never suffered from personally it is likely that we will be curious for the exact same reasons as above because it is the core part of what we are as learners.

I do think that it is still possible to ignore this despite your instinct if you condition yourself ie smoking, boxing, racing etc.

After all the best of us are the ones who have the ability to ignore our instincts and still succeed which defies normal ability.

Anyways im babbling on a bit but I find it fascinating as everyone has at least one area that they excel at.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought him back.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So in essence, it is human nature to test boundaries. Fences are only there for us to climb over.

Some might say that we learn to disobey or to rebel against authority but as a parent, I have not tought my children to disobey me, but they do it anyway.

What is it about us that makes us push the boundaries? A want to learn? Arrogance? Or is it something in our wiring that we just don't understand? Does it have purpose or is it just something we have to deal with?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
When they said curiosity killed the cat, they weren't joking. Don't stick me in a room and tell me not to push the red button. It is not just about curiosity, humans have to know. There is a reason why Missouri is called the 'Show me' state. Seeing is believing and well as disproving. We can never define our boundaries if we never push them. Don't let me near that red button.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I think it is curiosity in order to find our boundaries, because we always like to know what we are able to do.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I think many people just want to find out for themselves as well.

If you tell them there are X amount of stars, they'll take it for granted if it's a ''plausible'' number, many won't bother trying to verify it since they probably can't or aren't interested in it.

Now if you said the paint on the wall behind them is wet, some wouldn't touch it because they don't want to get paint on their fingers.

Those that do touch it, probably just want verification for themselves.

It's not to say that they doubt you, it's just so they can say "Hey I touched it, you are right."

As for myself, as beforementioned, it depends on the situation whether I do or do not try to verify it, and even then I might try to verify it through logic and observation rather than directly touching it.

[edit on 13/10/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
LOL, in your example defiance and curiosity are one in the same . But, I'm glad your thinking.....

~HYP

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm curious about everything and especially if someone says I shouldn't look/touch/know/read/etc - it just makes me want to know why I shouldn't. I don't feel defiant, just very curious.

I also encourage my children to be curious about everything. I do set them boundaries, for their safety, but I also tell them to question everything and not just accept what they're taught in school, or what someone else tells them is a fact. Facts are just someone else's opinions about conclusions they personally reached and if the subject is interesting then I naturally want to investigate it and reach my own conclusions. Without curiousity I'd just be accepting everything from someone else's point of view.

I was always in trouble at school for being curious and it was always seen as defiance - strange that! I read a lot and sometimes I'd ask a question, regarding the particular subject, and if it didn't fit with the text book version, that the teacher was teaching, then my questions were dismissed and I'd be in trouble for being curious, doing my own research and finding conflicting views/evidence. I learned to keep my curiosity to myself at school but it didn't stop me from continuing my own research. Was that defiance? Well the alternative is compliance and that wasn't really ever an option for me although it was, and still is, to most people I know.

Minds grow strong through use but if we're not curious and just accept everything then our minds grow weak. To me that's not an option. I hope I never have all the answers and that I'm still learning and curious till the day I die.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Alice in wonderland was curious. It seemed to take her on some interesting journeys. For myself I think my curiosity is the key,however it did kill the cat, but if one gets hungry enough one can eat the cat......curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
For two months my defiance won out over my curiosity and I didn't look, even though the title was so obviously meant to tempt.

But enough's enough. Sometimes, a girl's just gotta go ahead and find out for herself

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
curiosity is definitely what made me open the thread, its not defiance that is in human nature we learn that, curiosity however i believe is deeply embedded with in everyone ha ha

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I haven't read this thread.!!

ha.in your face curiosity!

I opened it,scrolled straight down and pressed the reply button.

I'm going to post this,then close the window to miminise my chances of catching a word uttered on this (clearly quite evil) thread.

I will not be back in this thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

You bring up an interesting idea about childrens' defiance as a means of exercising their curiosity by testing their bounds. I think (not on any professional, expert or academic basis) that there is a fair probability of this being true. Reverse psychology works easily well with children probably for this very reason that you posited. "Don't touch that!" *Child proceeds to touch it... Gets a mild electric jolt... cries.* "SEE?" *Child never touches object again.*

Based upon the on-going accumulation of life experiences we easily have the luxury of learning many things about life, the world, and the way things work from the pool of lessons and failures of others. For example, we needn't look further to see the long-term effects of, say, the abuse of certain illicit drugs - we can easily go to any rehab clinic and talk to the attendees to see how swell they turned out, or talk to a clinical professional who will then slam a tonne of statistics and studies at his desk to give you an idea on a more broad scale.

A child's world is very small, but their imagination is limitless. If it wasn't for their developing psyche, small knowledge base, and naivete, they would make for the best and most ambitious adventurers.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Lucidliving]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
i think for some it is defiance and for others it is curiosity.

for example, i'm a curious person, otherwise i wouldn't have opened this thread. i love to learn as much as i can and to read the thoughts and share my own thoughts with others.

i think, however, that defiance has a certain level of hostility in it. by that i mean it's more...well...defiant. like a lashing out simply because someone told you not to

an example of this is my gf told me that as a child she would do whatever her parents told her not to do just to do it. one day they were vacationing in the mountains and had gone to a park area to eat. they had just cooked and she was staring at the coals in the grill and her father told her not to do it or she would burn her hand. she said that instead of listening to him, she stared at him and moved her hand toward the coals, waiting for him to tell her no or to make her stop but he didn't because he'd already warned her. she burned her hand, needless to say and to me that is more an exercise in defiance rather than mere curiosity.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Good thread, clever idea, star and flag for ingenuity!

IMO, curiosity causes defiance, not totally, sometimes it's a defiance to do something you don't want to do, or something you don't believe in. To defy a teacher when you are younger, to see what happens, will you get in trouble? How much trouble?

To defy your parents, to gauge consequences, how much can you get away with?

But, in all, I'd say the underlying factor is a hunger for knowldege, it's what drove early man out of the caves, it led to everything we know today, a curiosity of the unkown, to experience the unknown.

EMM

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join