It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Good and Bad of Anarchy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I normally consider myself as a Libertarian, but support capitalism and a limited government with maximum individual liberties. I also really look to the Constitution of the U.S. and the Bill of Rights.

Many of anarchy's pros fit very well with me. Liberty, individualism, solidarity, just people being equals and entering into voluntary agreements and owning what they make.

I also think, however, that anarchy would be chaos. Without law, and criminal punishment, someone could kill your family, and nothing could be done. I suppose you could kill them, (that is if you could locate them without the help of the authorities).

I also think that without currency, it would be a lot harder to buy and sell things. I think walking a herd of goats to barter when I go shopping would be kind of a hassle.

So far, I am against anarchy, although I do think there should be a lot less government.

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Anarchy works only in small groups. You can see it in groups and associations on the Internet -- in bands of up to 30 people, anarchy works. Larger than 30 people and you start to get pecking orders and cliques and disagreements on projects...

...and eventually worse.

Look at modern nations that dissolve into anarchy and you'll see that before long the rule of anarchy turns into the rule of the bully and the rule of the warlord.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
As much as I would like to see anarchy it will never happen for the reason stated people will band togather and you get pecking orders and such.

So the next best thing is to have as little government as possible.

Just enough to say, HELP in the protection of your self and your property, (you would still be mainly responsable) but give you some sort of court to take your beef with your neighbor too.

Protect you from other countries which IMO is about the only REAL function of Government.

Build the roads and infrastruture that we need to move goods around. I think a lot of this could be privitized too. You know toll roads and such.

I cant think of much of anything else you really need Government for, can you?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Anarchy will only be prosperous when people take responcibility for their own actions and I do not see that happening any time soon.

How many times have you said "He made me cry" or "She made me nervious"? No one on the outside (other people) can affect you internally. Nobody makes you feel anything, you feel that way because to some degree you want too. Every day we blame others for our own actions and decisions (the devil made me do it) and until we truely realize that we are to blame for what we do and feel we will never be free of the trappings that we create.

The only thing that you 'have' to do is deal with the consequences of your actions.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I don't think it will happen soon neither, but just how great this could be.

To me anarchy/chaos would be like real, total freedom.
Going back to the animal reign. Rules of the jungle, the strongest survives.

If we ever want to get rid of the crappy politics that govern this world, anarchy will need to be instored.

Whatever comes out of it, I don't know, but can it be worse than what we're heading into?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Just what do you mean by anarchy?

How about Norway? They call it "Social Individualism," so it is not "chaos."

www.anarchy.no...

The Anarchy of Norway is still going strong
Some time has passed on since the Norwegian People turned their back against the main economic political course of the social democrat government, at the 1994 EU referendum. While the Norwegian EEC referendum in the early seventies gave a movement to the left on the economic political map, the megatrend of the late eighties and early nineties was a movement to the right and upwards. The EU referendum indicated a further jump in this direction, and thus the economic political system in Norway made a revolutionary change, and passed the border between the marxist social democrat sector and the anarchist sector of social individualism. This of course is a major social event in the economic political world history.

It seems like a reasonably orderly idea, just that centralized bureaucrats who know nothing and care nothing about you do not dictate pablum.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well take a look at Iraq and modern day Anarchy. After the US liberated Baghdad the people had no law no government no rules. They looted museums, office buildings and privately owned stores to mention a few. People of Baghdad were afraid to leave their homes in fear of their lives. Not because of the invasion of US troops but because of people living in their own city. This is the best example of modern day anarchy and its ultimate outcome.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I don't think it will happen soon neither, but just how great this could be.

To me anarchy/chaos would be like real, total freedom.
Going back to the animal reign. Rules of the jungle, the strongest survives.

A true anarchic (sp?) society would be great. Treat people how you want to be treated. If you kill someone then realize that their family is going to kill you. As I said it is all about taking complete responcibility for yourself as well as not holding grudges. I heard, quite some time ago, that this sort of society existed somewhere, but I don't remember where. Anyone know?

Anarchy is not about violence; it is about true freedom. The freedom that comes with taking responcibility for your actions.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Anarchy is not about violence; it is about true freedom. The freedom that comes with taking responcibility for your actions.

And THAT is what scares the living # out of everyone. The fear that they will have to think for themselves, take care of themselves, etc.

Thew sad fact is most of the slaves are comfortable in there chains and would fight to the death to keep them on.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Any system you could think of would be flawed as long as humans were apart of it...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Any system you could think of would be flawed as long as humans were apart of it...

That is why you make the system as weak as possible.

That way it does the least amount of harm.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

ANARCHY BURGER
By The Vandals

anarchy, kill a cat shoot james brady in the back
raise an army of rabid rats beat your neighbor with a bat
anarchy burger hold the government
anarchy, go ape # let them know your sick of it
write your congressman, tell him he sucks,
your only in it for the bucks
you're all potential anarchy burgers if you want to be free
order yourself an anarchy burger (hold the government, please)
america stands for freedom but if you think you're free try walking into a deli and urinating on the cheese anarchy burger hold the government
say # in front of your mom #! and go to school naked

Sorry, it's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about anarchy.

[Edited on 3/16/04 by NotTooHappy]

new topics

top topics

join