It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Solar Cell sets World Record at 40.8 per cent efficiency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Yet another record for Triple Junction PV arrays. Too bad the cost per watt will only make them feasible for HV arrays and solar power in space.

www.physorg.com...

Does anyone know the cost per watt of this type of cell? I've been looking around and all i've been able to find are guesstimates that range from the conventional 7 bucks per watt to over 30 bucks per watt. Any help would be appreciated.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You know what REALLY sucks?

While there ARE genuine people trying to make an effort for improving energy products etc. The utilities can easily sabotage the effort.

I read a story in the American Free Press about a University in Utah that was putting together a digester to capture methane from manure and an independent powerplant for it to run off of. The power company filed suit and the project got scrubbed!!!!!!

They said the gov't guarantees the utilities a 10% profit, so if they file suit because they'll lose profits [ from the independent power plant ], it costs them more to file suit than what they would lose in revenue if they did not contest the powerplant, because it is a "legit" business expense that takes away profits, they end up getting a rate hike in the process because the lawsuit was expensive!!!! Ain't that a kick in the pants.

I'll see if I can find a link for this.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not to worry. Thin film PV will save the day. It's progressing at a rate consistant with moores law. Doubling of eficiency every 18-24 months while halving the cost.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The thin films in the thread linked above are 14 % efficient and is coming out in 2009 for .99 cents per watt(probably 1.50 retail). The current thin film cells on the market are 7-8 % efficenct and cost 3 bucks per watt.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by sardion2000]

MBF

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If they would coat sheets of tin like you put on the roof of a house with the thin film material, you could use your entire roof for a solar cell. Even at 14% efficiency, that can be a lot of power.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Whats even better with Thin Film PV is they don't have "tunnel vision" and work much better in indirect lighting situations so printing up siding with panels would produce even more energy, especially if you're in the country or burbs and your closest neighbor isn't blocking too much light.

top topics

join