It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie race caller Matthew Hill collapses at Beijing Olympics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Aussie race caller Matthew Hill collapses at Beijing Olympics

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

ONE of Australia's brightest young sports broadcasters has been airlifted out of China in an induced coma after being floored by a "one in a million" virus sparked by Beijing's intense heat and humidity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
Aussie journo critically ill

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
[Censored Press Release] Important Announcement "Weaponized Avian Flu"
H5N1 outbreaks reported in China

[edit on 13/8/2008 by FreezeM]

[edit on 13/8/2008 by FreezeM]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
A "one in a million" virus? Wonder what that could be. I don't think it's H5N1 Avian Flu but I remember the possibility of an outbreak during the olympics being discussed on ATB earlier. I hope he gets better soon.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

That was exactly what I was thinking. I hope my Australian friends are watchful about what happens to this young man. Who knows what disease he's bringing home with him?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Already got my Hazmat suit ready
Complete with little olympic-ring baubles!

Seriously though, not very good. I hope its not too serious and the poor bloke is back on his feet soon

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I can't believe this hasn't got more replies.....
and so it begins...we were warned about this !
"one in a million virus" ????

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Has anybody else gotten really sick at the Olympics? Any athletes missing? I hope it's nothing to worry about.

edit: "one in a million" refers to the chance that the virus affecting him moved on to a more severe stage. This was brought on by heat stress suffered the previous day.

That's my reading.

[edit on 8/13/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Has anybody else gotten really sick at the Olympics? Any athletes missing? I hope it's nothing to worry about.

"There are thousands of us here and none of us have fallen ill. We are told by health officials that it's non-communicable," he said.
www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

So at this point there are no official reports of anybody else becoming that ill.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If it comes from the MSM there is a good chance it's a fabricated event to support some elitist agenda, so people should be alert and ready to debunk any obvious falsehood that they come up with, so we can nip elitist plans in the bud.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
If it comes from the MSM there is a good chance it's a fabricated event to support some elitist agenda, so people should be alert and ready to debunk any obvious falsehood that they come up with, so we can nip elitist plans in the bud.

I don't think debunking is needed. After the speech Bush just gave saying the US will send the military to Georgia for a 'humanitarian mission'. I'm sure all attention will go to that.

And to Michael Phelps off course

But, i'll be monitoring this "aggressive pneumonia".

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I just did a google search and the only thing I come up with is the atheltes being afraid of getting sick from the pollution, food and tap water. I guess tap water has to be boiled before drinking because they dump raw sewage in the rivers and lakes.

I heard a radio broadcast that one of the announcers got sick, but I can't find it anywhere on the net.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacSen191
I heard a radio broadcast that one of the announcers got sick, but I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Did you follow any of the links posted in the original post?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Maybe the US bicycle team should not have been villified for wearing they're masks afterall. Sounds to me like it was a wise initial decision that should have been adhered to!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian

Or.... maybe a broadcaster collapsed because of a virus and he got airlifted out.

That theory seems more plausible than yours..

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
His condition seems to be improving but the cause of his illness is still uncertain. The article states that "heat stress" could be the reason he fell ill. And then there is this "bug".

"His breathing has improved, his organs are improving and they are still running tests to try to determine what bug he picked up," Mr Tankred (media director of the Australia Olympic Committee) said.
source: Sick Games journo improving

I just don't understand why he was moved to Hong Kong. According to Australian chef de mission John Coates the hospital in Hong Kong has specialized equipment Hill may need (source). Can anybody think of what specialized equipment is needed when threating a pneumonia that isn't available in a Beijing hospital?

[edit on 14/8/2008 by FreezeM]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Maybe the US bicycle team should not have been villified for wearing they're masks afterall. Sounds to me like it was a wise initial decision that should have been adhered to!!

Zindo

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What people don't often realize is that cyclists as they near racing fitness are on the ragged edge of health. Their weight is down, and they've pushed their bodies in preparation to the point where they are near peaking and, at the same time near breakdown in their immune systems. Thus it's not only prudent, it's essential that they protect themselves from incidental contagion

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I think you said it much better than I did. I have friends who are adicted to cycling and they love it to the extent they actualy do damage. These folks on our Olympic teams are all at the ragged edge of fitness. They should never be endangered by the enviornment they are forced to compete in. Politics has put all these folks in danger and its a shame!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Of course it is, it is the likely truth... but still, keep an eye out regardless :p

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Matthew Hill now conscious

"We are relieved to be able to report that Matt's condition has improved and that he is now fully conscious," the family said in a statement today. "However, he remains in intensive care and his recovery is expected to take several weeks."

No word on the virus/bug that could have caused this. But he seems to be recovering.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
RSOE: Epidemic Hazard in Hong Kong

Im not saying this is what he has, but it is in the area. So, I thought it was worth mentioning.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thanks mrsdudara for being alert

It's in the area he was moved to, not where he got sick. So if it was related that would mean these people where infected by him. But one of the cases is from last Friday. That is before Matthew Hill was moved to Hong Kong. So I don't think these cases are related.

She was admitted last Friday with fever and convulsions and developed symptoms of encephalitis. Preliminary tests were negative for influenza or enterovirus.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join