It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how did ` bigfoot ` escape the first white settlers ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Bigfoot did not always escape the white settlers.
The area I lived in, in Southern California, was part of a giant Spanish land grant.
The Spanish land owners pushed off all the Indians and made the place a big cattle range.
Once the Spanish were pushed out, the white settlers found a high concentration of BigFoot who had taken over the area where the human inhabitants had been displaced.
There was an escalating war between the humans and BigFoot, culminating in a massacre of BigFoot hiding in a cave.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

My thoughts would be that evasion has become a natural trait of all species which require it.

In small numbers, especially in an unpopulated area, could elude capture or death quite easily infinitely if desired.

As far as evidence, there could be mounds of evidence hidden amongst the dense forests.

I think when the greedy developers and the like destroy all the forests in the world, then we will have evidence.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So many animals can become Feral,why is it such a stretch to think that humans can't become feral beings. There are reports from the early 1800 about manlike creatures throughout the midwest. Settlers did see things and recorded and reported them to others. Ignorance of what they where is no reason to believe they could not exist. Sure will be telling if and when one is put before the people and studied.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Any links to such references of a Bigfoot War?

This would be the first mention of it I have ever heard.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I somewhat agree. I go walking in the woods often and I swear something follows me. If you stay quiet enough in the woods you hear and see things that make you wonder. We don't know half as much as we think we do. And there's infinite amount of things still to discover in this world. Perhaps things with extreme camoflauge.
As for bigfoot, he may well exist, though we'll rarely come close to finding him.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by Gemwolf

Change "Krueger National Park" to "Illinois" and that hypothesis seems rather silly.

The US is a populated country, full of scientists. It has no scientific record of any native primates, except human beings. No scat, no fossils, no hair, no anything. In KNP there is lion poop, fossilised lions, hair, carcasses, etc. lying around. Seeing is not the only way to know something is there. Indeed, on a scientific level, seeing is not even evidence, but enough to get people looking for actual evidence.

I'll believe Bigfoot lives in the US when we get actual DNA evidence. And when we ask them how they managed to hide their fossils.
Supposedly they live in the forest, so as far as fossils go it takes a while to make fossils, plus not only tons of dirt on top of them but also tons of forest on top of them. When was the last time you heard of an excavation in a forest? If there was, it wasn't very deep was it? and our government is known from keeping truth from us so there's another possibility.

I forgot which one it was between Washington or Lincoln but in their journal they recorded a bigfoot sighting as he lead troops across the outline of the forest. Reportedly, a bigfoot was throwing rocks at the soldiers.

If bigfoot didn't exist, why would so many tribes across a continent or two, or across the world all have spread the same knowledge of bigfoot?

North america and South america - bigfoot, 6 foot tall sloth.
Africa - 6 foot tall lemur
Asia - bigfoot, wild men, yeti
Austrailia - yowie, bigfoot
Europe - bigfoot

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

sir - you have misread my post entirely

i am NOT arguing that bigfoot exists - au contraire - i was actually attempting to argue the opposite

read my OP again more carefully please

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

then why was not a single example mounted and shipped back to europe - hundreds of ` trophys ` of every other species encountered were shot and stuffed and sent back to museums and trophy rooms

where are the big foot trophies ?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

can you offere any evidence of this ` range war ` having occured ?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

i disagree - they DID go looking - not for bigfoot specifivcally - but the hunters and naturalist did activly seek out - kill or capture thousands of species unknown to europeans

all were duley given a lattin name - and classified according to european scientidic conventions

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
1. The Native Americans have many stories and even drawings of a huge ape like beast along with the natural wildlife.
2. Scientist admit 99.99% of all living things did not leave any fossil trace. Fossils themselves are very rare. Most of the creatures that ever lived will go undiscovered.
3. Bigfoot may be like Neanderthal Man and bury their dead.
4. Most animals can smell or sense man, and they smartly run away to avoid us. Mountain lions make it a point to stay away, although our encroachment on their habitat makes sightings more often.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

hey gem - i have got to disagree - most of the examples you cite - are discoveris in utter wilderness the size and scale of which the USA has never possesed since well before european settlement

let me put it anotherway - can you point to any north american quadropeds that were not classified by western scientist untill the 20th century - can i slip in a demand that they be > 30cm body lengh
cos i know you - you will come up with something - lol

yes there are still new classifications beeing made today - but they are all tiny creatures or plants that are often hard to distinguish from known species

not a 2m + bipedal primate

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
i watched a show on the learning channel or discovery (one of those kind of channels), talking about a long ago giant ape. so sorry i can remember the name of it. and i think that it was in asia. they believe that it is long gone. extinct. as science is discovering there are a lot of things that still live. not sure how but they do. when they showed a what the giant ape looked like. i thought, "wow. that is bigfoot." now i am not say that bigfoot is alive and well. i am just saying "what if?" i made my boyfriend watch the show the next time it was on. and even he said, HHHMMM. not that it changed all of his opinion but it did give him the "what if" factor. he thinks that i have a VERY VIVID imagination. and wonders a lot how i can be (semi)intelligent and believe the things i do. he shakes his head a lot.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
It seems some folks on this thread are somewhat ignorant as to how detecting animals works. Animals simply don't just appear in a cloud of God. They come from somewhere. They leave traces. If Bigfoot first evolved in the US, there would be masses of other primates present throughout the US, either living, or in fossil records ...

I take it this was aimed at me? I have no reason to defend my logic. All I want to know is, are you sure there is no evidence of primates on the continent of North America?

My friends over at National Geographic would like to disagree with you.

Oldest Primate Fossil in North America Discovered
Christopher Beard, a paleontologist at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, recently discovered fossils of the 55-million-year-old creature on the Gulf Coastal Plain of Mississippi.
The discovery suggests that Teilhardina primates migrated to North America across the Bering land bridge from Asia, Beard said. Then the creatures proceeded to Europe across an Atlantic land bridge that emerged thousands of years later.

Previous research had suggested the primates reached the Americas via a westward route instead, from Asia through Europe. But that path was submerged at the time the primates show up in ancient Mississippi, Beard said.

And our friends over at the university of Notre Dame seem to agree:

The Paleocene: 65 - 40 mya

The oldest known primate fossils date from this period. They are small-bodied, likely both nocturnal and diurnal, and have been found in North America, Europe, North Africa, and Asia. Examples of fossils of early candidate primates include:

* Pleseadapiformes (members of Archonta)
* Purgatorius
* Decoredon elongatus (or anhuiensis)
* Altiatlasius koulchii
Source

And also assuming that every single fossil in the USA have been dug up.

Edit: To add source.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I'm sorry but your question assumes way too much. It assumes that Bigfoot's security is based on "distance".

Bigfoot, if it exists, (and I belive something like it does.. saw it myself), is a primate. Primates are, by definition, intelligent.

So yeah, it is an intelligence thing.

I also believe, that Bigfoot is more nocturnal than diurnal. This could have tons to do with it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by DataWraith

i disagree - they DID go looking - not for bigfoot specifivcally - but the hunters and naturalist did activly seek out - kill or capture thousands of species unknown to europeans

all were duley given a latin name - and classified according to european scientidic conventions

Hmm - it could be that captures did happen. But maybe it was too ghoulish because they are so manlike. The King Kong story could have come from whistle blowers leaking information of such finds that were buried or bungled.

All the great museums are known to hold warehouses of untold and forgotten secrets crated away through bad administration or a conscious desire to keep the status quo.

It's interesting to me why we might be being told now. And it's convenient that this one in Georgia is dead, because it's intelligence remains a mystery. If this isn't a hoax then why is the delay, and undisclosed area of discovery to "protect the rest,"... Rest? We may be being eased into first accepting the existence of the species, and next we'll finally meet another species with similar communication skills.

Projects teaching apes to sign get large funding. But you don't hear nearly as much about projects doing a dolphin dictionary. They're so foreign and those big brains are so intimidating

We assume Big Foot is less intelligent than we are or doesn't exist and now may be surprised it has alluded our guns. All this is based on distant sightings and one blurry video of one walking by with purpose and direction.

Maybe it's an advanced species or even a cross breed with humans or giants or aliens and apes. Perhaps it managed to survive natural catastrophes that humans didn't thanks to thick fur, better instincts and dwelling underground. Perhaps it was bred for heavy work by previous humans who didn't survive. Perhaps some museums know and don't want to publicize as it leads to a lot of other questions.

Perhaps it can "shape shift" to be elusive or is extremely adaptable to changing environments. Perhaps they have no interest in interacting with us for a variety of excellent reasons. We truly have no idea, so an open mind is the safest stance, in my humble opinion.

Let's see what the autopsy shows the brain size is - if they tell us - that should be interesting.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by trusername]

[edit on 8/13/2008 by trusername]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

You indicate in your post that no primate fossils are found in North America. That is in error. Actually, quite a few primate fossils have been found in North America (in fact, some of the oldest in the fossil record are from the United States).

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Recently I read of a group of illegal aliens living in someones attic in England without their knowledge.

Then shortly around that time an Asian fellow finally discovered that a woman had been living in his closet for a substantial period of time.

Native Americans did not hunt for sport. They knew that there was another type of being around similar to them,but it was no threat to them.Most animals are nocturnal any how.

America 300/200 years ago did not look anything like you see it today.The eastern area first settled was heavily forested. The trees were cleared for shelter and fire wood.

The west coast was similar. I live in California near the coast and it has few forests near the coasts.There was an abundance of trees when the Spanish and Russians first came to the coast. They cut them for shelter,firewood and ship repair.

The plains area was even stranger.The prairies that we know of today was a fairly treeless area,mostly prairie grass.Trees were abundant near rivers and other water sources. But what most people do not know that this grass grew to be over 10 feet tall. Thousands of acres and miles and miles of tall prairie grass.

That is why they had trails and wagon trains to take settlers across the praire/plains. If one wandered off the trail in such high grass they possibly and did get lost for ever. Conestoga Wagons were named prairie schooners
because when they were traveling through this tall prairie grass all that could be seen was their canvas tops which look like ships sails.

All this leads to why such a species as this Bigfoot could survive without being detected. It knows its surroundings well and the habits of the others that live there too. Modern Man is the odd one out.We live against the environment and mother nature and our surroundings instead of with it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
Bigfoot did not always escape the white settlers.
The area I lived in, in Southern California, was part of a giant Spanish land grant.
The Spanish land owners pushed off all the Indians and made the place a big cattle range.
Once the Spanish were pushed out, the white settlers found a high concentration of BigFoot who had taken over the area where the human inhabitants had been displaced.
There was an escalating war between the humans and BigFoot, culminating in a massacre of BigFoot hiding in a cave.

You really need to provide your source of this information. I too live in that area and have never heard this rumor.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The first thing is, Bigfoot is an animal, not a dumb modern human – the creature has sharp senses and is in harmony with its environment.

It is also extremely rare, and was so, even hundreds of years ago – that’s how a small population survives. By stealth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join