It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pleads guilty in NC univ. car attack--"avenging Muslim deaths overseas"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Man pleads guilty in NC univ. car attack--"avenging Muslim deaths overseas"

www.examiner.com

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (Map, News) - A former student accused of plowing his sport utility vehicle into a campus crowd, hitting nine people, in a self-professed bid to avenge Muslim deaths overseas pleaded guilty Tuesday to first-degree attempted murder.

Mohammed Taheri-Azar, 25, was charged with nine counts of attempted murder and nine counts of felonious assault in connection with the March 3, 2006, attack at a popular outdoor gathering spot at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"He has repeatedly stated that he intended to kill people, made statements on camera that it was his intention," Orange County District Attorney James Woodall said during a court hearing.

As part of the plea deal, the assault charges were dismissed. The remaining charges will be consolidated into two counts of attempted first-degree murder for sentencing purposes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
According to recent articles I have read, even some very radical Muslims have renounced violence. Knowing the atmosphere of the country in regard to terrorism, I wonder what he hoped to accomplish, though anyone who watches TruTV can see that ordinary Americans can do much the same things,

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I remember when this happen...

Was pretty shocking... a muslim running people over while scream, "For ALLAH!"

a terrible story...

Hopefully this scum gets what he deserves... a quick death...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Attempted 1t Degree isn't punishable by death in North Carolina. The day after this screwball did his drive through the Pit, some of the more 'enlightened' students at UNC-CH held a rally to 'support' him.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04

The day after this screwball did his drive through the Pit, some of the more 'enlightened' students at UNC-CH held a rally to 'support' him.

I can understand how some Americans could blame our own country, at least in part, for the war in Iraq and other western transgressions. But supporting a terrorist to protest terrorism? Surely UNCH students can see the irony in that.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

The day after this screwball did his drive through the Pit, some of the more 'enlightened' students at UNC-CH held a rally to 'support' him.

I can understand how some Americans could blame our own country, at least in part, for the war in Iraq and other western transgressions. But supporting a terrorist to protest terrorism? Surely UNCH students can see the irony in that.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Sestias]

Nope, at least, the ones I have met and hung out with aren't smart enough to understand irony.

Further more, they showed up to support him after he tried to kill a bunch of their classmates? some community spirit there.

[edit on 8/12/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This guy is the perfect example of an impressionable person.

He came from a rich family with all the opportunites and no religous pressure. He got in with radical muslims when he got to UNC and it took over his life.

My cousin went to school with him ! Eek.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Gawd they don't make it hard for us anti-Islamists to criticise, do they?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Eh hopefully some inmates will cave in his head with a mop handle and we can be done with this clown.

SHould offer a reward for the action.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by plopunisher
This guy is the perfect example of an impressionable person.

He came from a rich family with all the opportunites and no religous pressure. He got in with radical muslims when he got to UNC and it took over his life.

Peer pressure in college can be very great, and it seems when students become radicalized they can be very extreme. Even if he wasn't naturally impressionable I can see how he might have gotten "recruited."

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scorched Earth
Eh hopefully some inmates will cave in his head with a mop handle and we can be done with this clown.

I don't think they'll be using the mop handle to cave his head in!

I hadn't heard anything about this in the MSM. Wonder why?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
www.newsobserver.com...

"Taheri-azar, 22, said that the Muslim holy book, the Quran, gave him permission to drive a Jeep Cherokee into a campus plaza March 3 "to punish the U.S. government, the enemy of my brothers and sisters in religion." The suspect, who is to appear in Orange County court today for a hearing, says he wants his message broadcast around the world."

I didn't know the Quran covered the use of the Jeep Cherokee as a weapon of Allah.

Looks like he's pushing for Martyr status.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

IMO he certainly considers himself a martyr. I'd be interested in how his fellow religionists reacted to his stunt.

Thanks for the additional link; I hadn't seen it. I believe he appeared in court on Tuesday and plead guilty.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by jerico65

IMO he certainly considers himself a martyr. I'd be interested in how his fellow religionists reacted to his stunt.

Thanks for the additional link; I hadn't seen it. I believe he appeared in court on Tuesday and plead guilty.

Not a martyr yet, he's still alive for the moment. Not that that isgonna remain the case when he gets to prison.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Oh...

How WOnderful and Prgresive that is...

Wonderful...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Yes. When radicals support the (attempted) murder of innocent fellow Americans they have really crossed the line.

top topics

join