It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to relax protected species rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Bush to relax protected species rules

break ingnews.nypost.com

Parts of the Endangered Species Act may soon be extinct. The Bush administration wants federal agencies to decide for themselves whether highways, dams, mines and other construction projects might harm endangered animals and plants.

New regulations, which don't require the approval of Congress, would reduce the mandatory, independent reviews government scientists have been performing for 35 years, according to a draft first obtained by The Associated Press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
GW seems to be going out in a big way. He apparently does not want to save what little respect he has from anyone. (If anybody still respects him)

If approved, the changes would represent the biggest overhaul of endangered species regulations since 1986. They would accomplish through rules what conservative Republicans have been unable to achieve in Congress: ending some environmental reviews that developers and other federal agencies blame for delays and cost increases on many projects.

So now how will the Congress people suppliment thier retirement fund if there is no graft or corruption?

break ingnews.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Darn I was hoping I might be able to shoot me a panda. What a bust..

But in all seriousness, (and I cant believe I am going to say this) but way to go Bush!

God that felt weird.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

Either you forgot the sarcasm emotes or you are backing this idea?!?!?
So you are keen for any developer to essentially bypass any environmental impact studies? Yes there will be people to give he OK but it will be alot less stringent.
The USA can kill all the wildlife they want if they are happy with that, but the way Australia follows behind like a lost puppy I am scared the same could happen here.....

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Come on all of you.

The way i intrpited the article is that individual states can now decide what is possibly endangered and also what to do about it.

Keeping the Fedreal government out of a state's bisiness is a good thing. Action happens quicker when things are done a the State level and DC is kept out of it.

I'm all for Bush bashing, but I think that he gets a pass this time.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

federal agencies to decide for themselves whether highways, dams, mines and other construction projects might harm endangered animals and plants.

To me it sounds like he is lowering regulations so that a federal agency can decide what is environmentally sound, not lowering it to a state level. It sounds like a sweetheart deal to bypass EPA regulations, not some reduction of federal intervention.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I interpreted the article the exact same way as wolf241e. If this isn't what was implied then I retract my previous statement.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

It is possible I misread it...Now I am so confused?!?!?

This it did alarm me though.

New regulations, which don't require the approval of Congress, would reduce the mandatory, independent reviews government scientists have been performing for 35 years

Without Mandatory 'independent' reviews or scientists involvement it tells me anything goes...?

new topics

top topics

join