It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanotechnology in large applications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I watched a British show on the science channel the other day that had a top 10 countdown of different possibilities the way the world could end. One of the things they mentioned was a nanotechnology mistake, but mentioned an irrelevant story to it. The story was a scientist who dreams of one day there is a cloud, produced by us, and the cloud is made using nanotechnology. This cloud floats around, like most clouds do, except this acts as sort of a filtration device, creating ozone and removing dust and dirt air particles, and other things that harm our breathing, and the earth in general. He also mentioned something about water, but it was the filtration idea that grasped my interest.

What are your views on this? I think if we were able to create this cloud, and even if it were a small one, it could change the world in a very very short amount of time. (Maybe a few years.)

He had a good quote, "Nanotechnology... Yeah, it's really small stuff. But why doesn't anyone ever think of using it on a larger scale?"

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Because we can't do that. Not with our current level of technology. We can't make any type of meaningful device as of yet. I mean, seriously, the scales involved are really what they are now working with in CPU die technology. Meaning the size of proposed 'nano-bots' is only a couple of transistors wide. Not enough for any meaningful computation.

pittsburgh edit;
How about those damn Steelers. I do love my town.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The way the world could end with nanotechnology is typically called Grey Goo. The article I linked goes over the whole thing pretty well. There are a number of serious criticisms about it, though.

The one I think about the most is the fact that we already live in a world with "grey goo", and they're called bacteria. They've been on this planet far longer than us, and we seem to get along pretty well with them. Unless these nanoparticles are specifically designed to kill, then I don't think we have to worry about them.

Then again, if someone were to design such a thing, what would be the point. Eventually they would just end up infecting themselves since it'd be so pervasive.

As far as the cloud, I believe that's what we see in The Matrix whenever someone ventures to the surface. Those nanomachines were designed to block out the sun though, since the robots were using humans as energy. Possible? I highly doubt it, a designer would have to forgo a lot of logical steps why not to produce something like that.

I mean, these nanomachines would have to be programed to do what they do, unless they're given the ability to modify their own program. Then again, maybe a mutation will occur that will allow them to do that, it's possible for them to evolve just like organic organisms, I guess...

[edit on 12-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well, I didn't really mean now. I meant in the future, but still not even far off.

About the Steelers, they impressed me by what I saw, I missed a little of the beginning, i didnt see willie run at all... I saw batch get hurt, sucks... but we have Leftwich now and he's gunna be a great backup.

new topics

top topics

join