It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51 Tours with Glenn Campbell -- Got Vacation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just learned that Glenn Campbell, famous investigator and writer on the topic of Area 51, has started a tour business. Cool!

www.aliensonearth.com...

I have been following Glenn's post-Area 51 career, and it has been interesting. I've had some email contact with him in the past couple of years, and bought some stuff from him. The Area 51 Viewer's Guide is well worth getting if you have any interest in the subject. I was surprised at how thorough it is. It's a substantial piece of work, and unique in the field.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I just may have to do this myself.

[edit on 8/11/08 by Double_Nought_Spy]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm glad to see Glenn back in business again, though I suspect the base doesn't see things the same way. ;-) I should point out that the hike up Tikaboo is not 500ft of elevation change. Here is the profile from my GPS:
Tikaboo profile
Forty-five minutes? Hardly.

At this point, since there are so many people interested in paying for Tikaboo hikes, I will post my GPS trail so you can do it for free.

Tikaboo GPX file in zip format

Here is a gpx for the drive to the staging area:
Tikaboo drive

I zipped the files because Firefox reads them as text for some reason, rather than let you save them. If you can't handle a GPX file, you probably do need a guide. I will also point out if you use the GPX files, you are on your own, so plan carefully.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Glenn pointed out on his page there that visitors must bring plenty of water. Living in the desert myself, I should have put something in my first post about that. It's hard to overstate the necessity of bringing enough water along on any activity in the desert. The desert can be as harshly unforgiving as it can be beautiful. Careful planning can make the difference between a memorable trip, and disaster. Google "silt happens" for the Grand County, Utah search and rescue web page, and read about some of the misadventures in the Moab area for some eye-opening stories about what happens to people who are not prepared. That is some interesting reading for other reasons, too.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Dude I'm so down. October would be epic. Any takers?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

The photography is not as good late in the year due to the sun angle. [May is the best time if you want the front of the A12 hangars to be illuminated.] However, October is fine for hiking. I've done Tikaboo as late as November (i.e. around the time of the Nellis Air Show.] It did get beneath 0 degrees C in the early AM, but it was not much of an issue since I was in a sleeping bag rated at -25 deg C, plus a tent to shelter me from the wind. What I didn't like is all the condensation on the inside of the tent and whatever I had in it. I would bring ziplock bags and seal up the electronics gear for the night.

If you are handy with a GPS, you now have the route (track). I'll get around to writing instructions in a day or two.

I've never charged anyone for a guide up the hill, though I could see the need for such a service. What really bugs me is people that give up because then I have to guide them down instead of doing the hike to the top. I would never strand someone or let them try to find their way down the hill.

Also, I don't think Glenn has done the hike recently. The roads have deteriorated greatly in just the last year. You have to park pretty far away from the staging area if you drive a car rather than high clearance SUV. The ruts are really deep. Even in a SUV, you need to take them carefully.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Apparently, he is about to lose his current job and is striking-up the ol' Area 51 iron for a little cash.

Reading his site, I find it odd that the "scammers" running the A51 tour carry liability insurance (like, I thought, most all small biz have for protection) but that his revived A51 tours do not. At least, according to him. I don't get that part...?

Might be interesting.....might not. I don't think he's been terribly engaged in the GLR for the better part of a decade now, so.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Oops, forgot to log-in. This post was me:

TextApparently, he is about to lose his current job and is striking-up the ol' Area 51 iron for a little cash.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Weirdness........I posted anon on accident and then posted a correction to a post that doesn't appear?

Anyway, I am not impressed with Campbell's "return" to A-51 duty. He drifted-off in an escoteric plane about a decade ago and now that he's fearing losing his ramp job he's looking for a new gig. Fine. But, he doesn't just pick back up today where he left off a decade ago.

He may have been the premier GLR researcher in 1996 but things have changed and people have proved themselves............all while Campbell went heady and marginal in the between time.

I wouldn't pay for his non-insured trip. What the Heck is the trying to pull on short notice and no guarantee?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
You prob wont learn anything new in that tour, or any for that matter, that a little research on here or other sites would give you. Use gariac's gps to get to Tikaboo or go to dreamlandresort.com, they have maps and gps coordinates for all your area 51 needs.

dreamlandresort has a tour as well. this might be a little more informative as it sides on more of the history of black projects and not UFO's.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There is more to being a tourist than just finding spots with maps and looking at famous things. Those of us who were not there 10~15 years ago will all be tourists if and when we finally make the trip. A talented and knowledgeable local guide can make a huge difference in a trip like that. To me, there would be little point in merely going to Rachel and having lunch, and maybe talking to a local or some other traveling nut. A good guide always has a backup plan, too, in case things don't go as planned. M'self, I'm looking forward to the little bits of info that never made it into print. There is as wide a selection of quality in tour guides as there is in any other service one might pay for. As a veteran of the tour industry, I know that what you get from most guides is rehashed crapola that "fits" a number of similar situations, and a general knowledge base that is often made up as you go along. Sort of a "virtual" database. Don't ask me how I know this.
Anyway, I think Glenn is an honest and level-headed guy who has lots of experience in those parts. The UFO universe is already overflowing with nonsense, and I'd hate to think I was paying someone to make up a fresh batch for me.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Is this the same Glenn who used to be a phone lineman in Wichita?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Double_Nought_Spy

I get what you are saying double, but for 250 dollars plus expenses, you are vastly wasting money.

from his site...
Starting from Las Vegas as the early in the morning as possible, we'll drive two hours north and climb to the last remaining legal viewpoint, Tikaboo Peak. Then, if you have the time and energy, we'll go down to the Valley and skirt the military border in search of aliens, secret aircraft, government agents or anything else your heart desires. (None of this is guaranteed, of course, but if we stay after dark, I'll make spooky sounds to try to frighten you.)

and his notes..
# My fee does not include transportation. You will bring your own car or rent one in Las Vegas (or I will rent one at your expense), and you will pay for gas. (It will be about about 250-350 miles round trip, depending on itinerary.) A 4WD can be useful but isn't necessary; a full-size car is fine.

So essentially you have to pay for your own way up there... which is roughly a tank of gas one way.
so 50 bucks each way.. depending on the car of course.

100. Plus the 250, we are at 350. For him to take you to a viewpoint that many rookie area 51'ers have done on their own.

then he'll take you to the border..... wow
Again, something ANYONE can do. The only unique thing I see is that he will give old school folklore about the place. Which is cool. Esp from Glenn, I'll admit that. But what is he going to tell you that he hasn't already written about?

Oh and if you want to camp, its another 150.

So 500$$ to stay overnight with Glenn Cambell and listen to stories at a campfire.

To boot, his tour has no insurance, and you are responsible for your own safety. Im sorry, I just dont see where the value is. 500, when its all said and done, for Tikaboo, the border, and stories.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

You need a license in Nevada to transport the public, hence the DIY drive. You need a license to give tours as well.

Not everyone has made it to the top of Tikaboo on their first hike. As I said before, I've had to return to guide people back because they couldn't take the steepness. I lost the track down once and the guy with me was a little miffed to have to jump about 5 ft off a rock. You lose the route, things get ugly. This predates the trail being prolifically marked with flagging tape and painted rocks. It used to be the only marks were rock cairns, with just a few painted rocks right before you reach the peak.

I'm not shilling for Glenn. In fact, I never met him. I'm just saying there is a need for this service for those who don't have the time to waste. Personally, I can't see climbing Tikaboo just to look at the base then head right back down. I did that once to drop off water along the way prior to me taking someone up the peak. I wasn't entirely sure he could make it, so I saved the guy the need to carry 12lbs of water on his back. Anyway, the view after 10AM is pretty poor. If you leave Vegas, do the drive then hike, I can't see getting to the top before 9AM. You would miss the Janets arriving.

I generally car camp at the staging area, then climb at oh-dark-thirty. It is easier to climb when the weather is cool rather than have the sun beating down on you.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeinTX

...I am not impressed with Campbell's "return" to A-51 duty. He drifted-off in an escoteric plane about a decade ago and now that he's fearing losing his ramp job he's looking for a new gig. Fine. But, he doesn't just pick back up today where he left off a decade ago.

He may have been the premier GLR researcher in 1996 but things have changed and people have proved themselves............all while Campbell went heady and marginal in the between time.

I wouldn't pay for his non-insured trip. What the Heck is the trying to pull on short notice and no guarantee?

Are you faulting the guy for wanting to generate income? He's honest, at least, about not being insured. And he's honest about no guarantee.

I've never met the guy either. But I've read his stuff, and the stuff written by all that came AFTER him. Those that came after, likely would not exist today as "researchers" had Glenn not got the ball rolling. I certainly might consider paying to have him along on an A51 road trip. Just like I might pay to have Jimmy Page come along to the local open mic while we jam to Stairway. Or to have Gen Norman Swarzkopf come along for a tour of Iraq. What more fun and informative guest could you ask for on a Groom Lake outing than the original researcher?

Glenn was the first. And he had more guts to confront the system than anyone, past or present. He's been arrested by the cammos. He's led TV crews to the border. He lived in Rachel for several years. NOBODY else, NOBODY, can claim that. He's done more research and exploring than anyone. He isn't/wasn't simply a "collector" of other person's thoughts and ideas.

Glenn even has the guts/manners to post a link to the commercial website that will not allow discussion of Glenn Campbell. You know, that commercial site that claims to have several of their administrators living in Rachel. Are those the people that you think have "proven themselves"? They've proven themselves to me, and not in a positive sense at all.

Seems to me like Glenn's ethics and agenda are not in the least bit in question. He's offering a service. You, me and everyone else is free to take him up on it or not.

Lumpy

www.digitalcartography.com

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SgtCamo

lumpy, are you glenns agent? You have been silenced on dreamlandresort.com a very open community. They told you to stop it with the glenn cambell stuff and you couldnt.

fact is. no one in their right mind should pay 500 total to see things they can see for free.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

With all due respect, Sir, it is obvious that you do not understand the tour business. Study it for a bit, and you will see a great many people spending far more than that for a whole lot less! Yes, most people could find the famous spots, but that is not the point. If you don't feel the need for a guide or an interpreter, then go and do the trip on your own. No one is stopping you. Anyone can find the Navajo Reservation, for example, and drive around for a few days, but it is a far richer experience to go there with someone who knows the area and who can explain what you are seeing. If you are already an authority on the Navajo and their reservation, then you are probably not in the market for a tour guide.

Obviously there is a market for the service Glenn is offering, and he is apparently doing it better and cheaper than his competitors. That's just free enterprise. You know, the American Way.

[edit on 8/17/08 by Double_Nought_Spy]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
My 2 bits:
- Many people who visit the area for the "Area 51" experience need a guide. Exhibit 1 - the grannies who crossed the line

- If I were in need of a guide, I would prefer someone who is currently knowledgeable about the area, local or not. Not someone who has been out-of-the-loop for 10 years

- I was EXTREMELY upset when ufomind.com was put on hold in 2000. Someone could have been delegated the task of continuing updates on the website. Instead, it has sat in limbo for 8 years.

- Maybe instead of using a shill, or even a sockpuppet to advertise your new venture, you could have posted under your own name, Mr. Campbell. I can guarantee you there are many here who would love to hear from you. I suspect you would be given your own section to field the many questions from posters about the Area 51 area, Bob Lazar, etc. I don't doubt they would then line up for your tour.

- Despite the "suppression" BS on your blog (I won't post the link here - me in my stupidity posted the link to your tour website at dreamlandresort.com) I am sure the reason is that the webmaster has his OWN Area 51 tour ( odysseystar.com... )

Considering the time and expense Joerg has made into creating that website, and setting up the tour, I can understand why he wouldn't want a "bigger name" getting free advertising on his website.

Frankly, if it were me and I wanted to "suppress" you, I would have deleted every post on the message board on the subject. To his credit, they are all there for all to see.

If I needed to pay for a tour/tour guide (which I don't, I have been to the area numerous times), I would absolutely choose Joerg and his Expedition : Dreamland tour. Joerg and the other team members at Dreamlandresort are the current experts on the area.

HOWEVER - if I saw "Glen Campbell" on the list of Expedition
reamland speakers, I would sign up tomorrow for the tour.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by FosterVS]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

Foster, I suspect you are right. And perhaps there is a market for these tours. But if one compares the tours offered b Cambell to Joergs, one can see that Joerg has substance. Joerg's is a tad bit more expensive, but you arent providing your own transportation, there are guest speakers, a view of the JANETS, the same valley tour and camping.

But I think Foster is on to something. Glenn, just come out and ATS will embrace you with open arms.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I was wondering exactly the same thing Bombeni.

Is it 'the' Glen Campbell ... of country singing fame or a totally different guy ?

Appologies if this has already been answered but I scooted through a few more posts and the question seems to have been ignored !

Woody

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

To my knowledge this glenn cambell is an area 51 aficionado, not a country singer

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join