It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Maps Erase Interiors of Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
here's a random zoom somewhere in geogia...

I went to maps.google.co.uk, moved over to the right until I hot Georgia and zoomed in.

this is what I got.

Georgia zoom

Peace,

MGGG

[edit on 13-8-2008 by machinegun_go_go]

I just went to maps.google.co.uk . Do not use "satellite view", try "map view." It will be clearer what we are talking about.

Notice how the satellite view in your screenshot is missing road data and labels?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Very interesting....

Look at this

Georgia map view

I'm intrigued now...

I was baffled coz I always use the satellite view.

You got my attention, sir.

This is why I love ATS

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Armenian Forces violated cease-fire on August 12 and 13. Units of the Armenian Army near Paravakar village of Ijevan region, Armenia, shelled at positions of the Azerbaijani Army on unnamed heights of Gazakh region, Azerbaijan. Armenian Forces also opened machine and submachine gun fire from positions in occupied Garvand village of Fuzuli, Goyarkh village of Terter regions of Azerbaijan at opposite positions of the Azerbaijani Army. No casualties are reported.

Again, I think there is something to this. Frankly it is alarming. Why just Google? Microsoft Live Maps seems to be working. Perhaps Google is updated more frequently?

Strange.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Clay. Sorry if i've been a pain in the ass, but I know exactly what you mean mate.

I'm surprised this thread is so quiet.

Peace.

MGGG

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don't flame me if this has already been posted...but...

Google often uses OLD satellite images anyway, so if they blocked something out it would be the terrain not actual current military movements.

I use google earth for business purposes and a fair amount of their satellite imagery is a few years old, buildings and such that have been built in teh last 3 years do not even show up.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Don't flame me if this has already been posted...but...

Google often uses OLD satellite images anyway, so if they blocked something out it would be the terrain not actual current military movements.

I use google earth for business purposes and a fair amount of their satellite imagery is a few years old, buildings and such that have been built in teh last 3 years do not even show up.

The satellite images seem to be fine. Haven't compared them side-by-side to Live Maps yet. . .

The streets and place labels have been removed for, as I am aware, only 3 countries in the world. All in the middle of this conflict.

The labels were removed for Azerbaijan and Armenia a few days back Before this newest border clash. That is odd indeed.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't see any reason for changing the maps and letting the satellite images, satellite images are much more important than the maps, and the images Google Maps uses are better than those from Microsoft, so I see no reason to make people look for other sources of data.

Unless they are expecting that people do not know and do not look for other sources, I know that many people think that Google is the only thing on the Internet...

It would be better if we could get an old image, that would prove if there was or not a map of that are in Google Maps.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Google's answer:

Where is Georgia on Google Maps?

The most obvious question is, why doesn't Google Maps show any cities or roads for Georgia, or its neighbors Armenia and Azerbaijan? The answer is we never launched coverage in those countries because we simply weren't satisfied with the map data we had available. We're constantly searching for the best map data we can find, and sometimes will delay launching coverage in a country if we think we can get more comprehensive data. Some of our customers have asked if we removed map data from any of these countries in response to the recent hostilities in that region and I can assure you that is not the case. Data for these countries were never on Google Maps in the first place

Hmmm...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Google's answer:

The most obvious question is, why doesn't Google Maps show any cities or roads for Georgia, or its neighbors Armenia and Azerbaijan? The answer is we never launched coverage in those countries because we simply weren't satisfied with the map data we had available. We're constantly searching for the best map data we can find, and sometimes will delay launching coverage in a country if we think we can get more comprehensive data. Some of our customers have asked if we removed map data from any of these countries in response to the recent hostilities in that region and I can assure you that is not the case. Data for these countries were never on Google Maps in the first place

Hmmm...

Just. . . . Those. . . . Three. . . . Countries?

What a Kawinkidink!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Google's answer:

Hmmm...

Yes, and didn't you know, Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by evilod

Well it seems that now Oceana is at war with Eurasia.

There doesn't seem to be much resolution forthcoming with this, but I would be very interested if anyone can confirm if there were ever any interior's shown of Georgia et al.

And thanks for the great contributions clay2

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.itsecurity.com...

Interesting article I came across regarding Google censorship.

Why is HAARP censored? I find it strange if it is, indeed a benign program.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What satellite does Google use? Isn't it filtered feed from the KH series?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Having visited the region many times, I can see why there is no map data of the area, the roads around here don't have names many times and many parts of them are changing almost daily. Most roads outside major ones are dirt or gravel roads again many with no names.

Because of this I can see why they would not want to post maps of the countries, but as a ATSer I also question it because at the time of this post, major Armenian and Azerbaijani roads have been mapped but no accounts of Georgian roads which seems a bit strange but can possibly be linked to the Russian invasion of Georgia. Georgia's priorities might have swayed away from providing Google the most up to date maps they have, to rebuilding.

You have to remember Russia isn't American they don't invade destroy and rebuild, they invade destroy and the have lulz.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ahddm

Or it could have been a simple licensing issue, as Google has to deal with countless companies to secure the rights to distribute their material.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join