It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we please check our profanities at the door.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Dear all.

I have noticed recently that the number of instances of foul language and censor circumvention on our site is increasing.

Whilst I do not think that there is anything wring with swearing per se, and I do it myself all the time, this is not the place for it.

We pride outselves on the civility and manners of this forum and I honestly feel that things are starting to slip.

People, this is a place that most of us can still access from work because of the lack of swearing, as well as being a place where people are not put off visiting because of the 'bad language.' Let's keep it that way.

Let's check our language and keep our heads.

Peace,

MGGG

[edit on 11-8-2008 by machinegun_go_go]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
As a mod, I certainly agree...but even moreso as a member.

I swear like a sailor, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm very good at it...

However, one of the things I like best about ATS is I have to come up with some way of getting an emotional response across without using words that get censored out anyway...

If ya can't say it without resorting to profanity, maybe it doesn't need to be said all that badly...?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I just got in a little bit of trouble with this the other day with a post of mine. I think I gave the mod that had to clean up my post carpel tunnel syndrome. And another mod wanted to wash my keyboard out with soap.

Ill be sure to keep a lid on my
swearing.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here! Here!

I agree! I swear at times as well, but I always taught that peolple judge your character the way you talk/communicate. I find most of the time people insert a curse word in a sentence because they can't think of anything intelligent to say.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
As long as I can use fart, boobs and cucamonga I am happy.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ya know, I rarely pull out anything worse than "Crappulence", but, this thread did inspire me to look into the rules regarding the dreaded swear rules.

ABOUT ATS: Vulgarity and The Automatic ATS Censors

The first sentence of the fourth item of our Terms & Conditions says it all:
4.) You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

Circumventing the censors to provide a misspelled simulation of a curse word is simply not allowed.

That's pretty cut and dry. However there's this:

Disabling your censors in the ATS Store is not license to swear in the forum, only a license to view what the automatic censors are filtering.

Is this still an option? I mean I hardly have virgin ears, but, why would you even want to disable this? I work hard not to insert my sailor mouth into the forums, why would I want to see other NOT trying?

This is a good point here:

The effort of our default censors is not to prevent certain words from gracing your computer screen, it's to keep our domain out of the automatic domain scoring software, and on as many computer screens as possible. I've seen this in action too, a company I know of cannot access some other conspiracy sites because their IT manager employs these filtering tools on their firewall -- but they can get to ATS!

For more useful info regarding the Rules for posting with class, I would head to IMPORTANT: ATS Rules, Guidelines, Etiquette, and more... and read up a bit. It all applies and makes for better posts.

Thanks machinegun_go_go,

Starred!
Cuhail

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
As long as I can use fart, boobs and cucamonga I am happy.

I object to the use of the term cucamonga. That's just not right!

EDIT TO ADD:

And I believe the proper term is boobies.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
However there's this:

Disabling your censors in the ATS Store is not license to swear in the forum, only a license to view what the automatic censors are filtering.

Is this still an option? I mean I hardly have virgin ears, but, why would you even want to disable this? I work hard not to insert my sailor mouth into the forums, why would I want to see other NOT trying?

This is a good point here:

The effort of our default censors is not to prevent certain words from gracing your computer screen, it's to keep our domain out of the automatic domain scoring software, and on as many computer screens as possible. I've seen this in action too, a company I know of cannot access some other conspiracy sites because their IT manager employs these filtering tools on their firewall -- but they can get to ATS!

For more useful info regarding the Rules for posting with class, I would head to IMPORTANT: ATS Rules, Guidelines, Etiquette, and more... and read up a bit. It all applies and makes for better posts.

Thanks machinegun_go_go,

Starred!
Cuhail

Oh man, ATS was SO different then. Little more than Yahoo Chat with conspiracies. We've evolved to something much more than the average site, even by today's standards.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I didn't want to sound negative there, trep.

I did notice, however, that Zedds Handbook needs SERIOUS upgrading. All the buttons he points out are no longer in use, he eludes to blogging in ATS, which I haven't seen in a while.

And hasn't he shaved (Zedd)?

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Actually, it's boobys, but ONLY when referring to cliff-dwelling, aquatic birds

I frequent (actually I almost LIVE there this time of year) an excellent mostly-weather site. Two of my buds that are teachers have told me that the site I'm referring to is blocked on their schools, due to a presumption of "vulgar language" and "other off-color" postings. Now, I've seen the mods on the site in question immediately stamp out obscenities and other distasteful stuff, but they can't be everywhere. Like here, they rely upon the members to alert the mods when things are afoul. There have been accusations of bias by the mods on the site I'm speaking of, and what it really boils down to, is people within a group are often not only more tolerant of questionable posts, but some seek to play "chicken" with the mods by making a vulgar post, and then quickly deleting it. I haven't seen this tactic much here, and grateful for that. I would guess that, as with the weather site, mods or admin. can see what was deleted even after it was deleted.

Still, what a shame if an informative site gets the Big Brother thumb because of the boneheadedness of a few. Maybe we should all commit to not using WT* as well.

[grammar]

[edit on 11-8-2008 by argentus]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I think your right. We shouldn't use ANY of those texting shortcuts for vulgarity because I suspect they are part of the dataset those censor systems use.

And thank you for the correction. boobys - got it!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

That is all i shall say for this topic,language is what makes humanity great,we should express in all its forms!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

I'm with you!

I'll tell ya what, let's just let it all out and write as many swear words in one post as possible, I'll go first.

Mod Note: Don't even THINK about it!!!

Okay, your turn!

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Holy Cucamonga! I can't stop masticating.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
I can't stop masticating.

That's not good for your diet.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
no profanity is good.

how about adding a few words to your vocabulary instead of cursing.

something like " craptacular " or " crapa-arrific ".........
i could go on but you get my point. i used to curse like a sailor but now , i would rather replace the " naughty " words with something a little more intracite.

peace

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

I agree! Be clever and inventive.

I LOVE crappulance and poopala! They're just fun.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
As I Understand it ATS already has one profanity filter and we don't need another like user oppions.

Words like CRAP are offensive to some because they so desprately want to be offended. Crap is a word that just means "Unwanted Stuff". A good use might be as follows.

ATS Users who think they have the right to whine about "profanities" can take that crap to the curb.

Also other words like Bitch, Bitching and Bitches are words with good use.

A female dog is a bitch when in heat or just a bitch all the time. When someone is said to be bitching it refers to the whiny sound a female dog makes. It might be considered as if we used the term henning to discribe a clucking sound. So no one has the right to try to be the Cock in the hen house at ATS but the owners and workers for the website.

Profanity is personal perception. If you don't want to see perfanity I say you should stop looking for it. It's in the mind of the reader.

Okay Bitches?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
A female dog is a bitch when in heat or just a bitch all the time.

Huh? A female dog is a bitch period. Pick up an AKC show guide, it is simply the term used to define a female dog. And the trait does not come from "whining", in a pack of dogs the bitches are typically the most vocal and they run the show.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Yeah, but also bitches and bitching has to do with the whinning noises female dogs in heat make, like in the Guns and Roses song: 'I use to love her but I had to kill her'

Lyrics "She Bitched so much, it drove me nuts, and I can still hear her complain".

And Paris Hilton calls (basicly everyone) her "friends" bitches.

These Pop culture refrences validate term useage. It's also a side note of understanding that popculture refrences don't validate it as much as it was already being in use before becoming a valid refrence in popculture.

So when I say most people here at ATS are bitches, I'm simply saying they are a pack.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join