It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake feet trip up Olympic opening coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Fake feet trip up Olympic opening coverage

www.theregister.co.uk

Video footage of the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Beijing included CGI images because of worries that broadcasters would not be able to properly film parts of the firework display.

A 55-second clip of fireworks outlining footprints in the sky was in fact created months ago and edited into live footage. The fireworks did appear for real, but broadcasters decided it would be impossible to get decent shots of them from the sky during the event.

The clip took almost a year to create, the Telegraph reports. Broadcasters worked with weather forecasters to predict how hazy the images should look, and fake camera wobble was added to make it look like it was shot from a helicopter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So, if China can fake this, then what else can or has been faked that we have seen on TV - I think you know what I'm getting at people!!!

Could this have been some kind of public awareness test to see how many people would notice?

Kinda worrying I think - especially considering how a lot of people seem to not care about being misled...

Worrying times indeed.

www.theregister.co.uk

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

I don't know, man. That shot looked fake. It reminded me alot of the video CGI they show at the start of a Bulls or Knicks game (with the ball or bull passing therough the city taken from an aerial perspective.) It just seemed to fluid. I forget the name of the law/principle, but some computer guru awhile back ran the calculations and determined that the law of diminishing returns has kicked in and we're at least 30 years away from photorealistic computer graphics which the human eye can't immediately tell are CGI. Then there would be another span of time before close scrutiny didn't indicate problems. (Granted this is centered on face mapping, not scenery, fireworks, etc... but the principle is still solid.)

I do not believe that footage could be faked right now without people thinking, at least in the back of their heads, "something's not right."

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go

So, if China can fake this, then what else can or has been faked that we have seen on TV - I think you know what I'm getting at people!!!

Could this have been some kind of public awareness test to see how many people would notice?

Kinda worrying I think - especially considering how a lot of people seem to not care about being misled...

Worrying times indeed.

www.theregister.co.uk

Public awareness test?

This has happened on camera since cameras were invented.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Omniscient1]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Perhaps that's where they got the idea from?

I didn't watch the opening myself because quite frankly I couldn't care less about who gets a few medals, but from what I'm aware of - and what I've heard is the fact that they apparently insinuated that it was all real.

I've seen the little bit of footage myself and it did look quite fake, obviously I could be swayed by knowing that it was fake.

My main worry is that it shows that we are moving towards faking things on a worldwide scale and that worries me.

Thanks for the reply burdman

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Omniscient1

In terms of that I mean to see how many people would notice, perhaps to see what a government can get away with in the future. I just keep thinking 'false flag' for some reason.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There is a pre-existing thread on this topic.

Please contribute comments and questions here.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join