It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine reserves the right to bar Russian navy (!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Ukraine reserves the right to bar Russian navy (!)

www.kyivpost.com

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) - Ukraine warned Russia on Sunday it could bar Russian navy ships from returning to their base in the Crimea because of their deployment to Georgia's coast.

"In order to prevent the circumstances in which Ukraine could be drawn into a military conflict ... Ukraine reserves the right to bar ships which may take part in these actions from returning to the Ukrainian territory until the conflict is solved," said the Ukrainian statement, posted on the ministry's Web site.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Prevent circumstances? This whole conflict is getting out of control - I don't think Russia is quite happy about this statement /-

www.kyivpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by absente

Reserving the right and exercising the right are two different things. I think Russia is in the middle of setting an example with Georgia, I wonder just how willing the Ukraine will be to stand in their way.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, you are very much correct.
Ukraine has the second largest military force in Europe, after Russia. I doubt Ukraine will strike Russia - it is highly unlikely.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
it's unlikely, but what will happen if Ukraine doesn't let them go back to the port? Russia wouldn't like it, and this will be just another step forward to bad relations between the Ukraine and Russia.

It seems like every post Soviet Pro-western republic is using the conflict in Georgia to put pressure on Russia. It will be interesting to see, how they (Russia) will handle those country's. Of course, not in military form, but maybe suddenly they get higher gas and oil prices.

top topics

join