It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'God particle' may have been seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
A scientist says one of the most sought after particles in physics - the Higgs boson - may have been found, but the evidence is still relatively weak.

Peter Renton, of the University of Oxford, says the particle may have been detected by researchers at an atom-smashing facility in Switzerland.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
That would be ironic.

The fateful day arrives and everyone is expectant, a hand moves to turn on the LHC collider when suddenly the event is interrupted by a wild eyed scientist bursting into the room.

"Wait!" he says, gasping for air.

The onlookers turn to look at him, stunned to silence. He flaps some untidy documents over his head.

"We've already found the Higgs-Boson!" He exclaims at the top of his lungs.

The lead scientist of the LHC pauses a moment on the switch to the device and utters a single word.

"Crap."

No longer having any further use, the LHC collider becomes the birthplace of Particle Accelerator racing.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The people who discovered this are the same people doing the LHC (CERN). The LHC was built to try and confirm the things discovered here.

That said, I'm still up for some Particle Accelerator Racing!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
who remembers the intro to the old amiga game 'Another World'? www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Even if it was found, the new project isn't useless. It's more sensitive and more powerful, therefor more accurate. It's also possible that they'll discover particles that aren't predicted by the standard model of particle physics. It's happened before.

Also, Another World was awesome, but difficult. When I played it as a kid I couldn't get past the damn leeches. Playing it as an adult proved to be a more rewarding task.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt.Trakker

That tunnel sure looks like cern?

Weird.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I know yeh. It was the first thing i thought of when i first heard about all this LHC stuff

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by I3LiP

I don't think we will witness some proper particle racing yet, as the muslims now first have to find the "Allah particle"

Pff.., why has religion always have to be involved !

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt.Trakker

Wow, that brings back the memories. Thanks for the flashback

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Did anyone notice the date on the report? 2004.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Did anyone notice the date on the report? 2004.

I did not notice that. It's easy to forget to check the date in this day and age when we have so much new information at our fingertips. At least that's my excuse!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by I3LiP
That would be ironic.

The fateful day arrives and everyone is expectant, a hand moves to turn on the LHC collider when suddenly the event is interrupted by a wild eyed scientist bursting into the room.

"Wait!" he says, gasping for air.

The onlookers turn to look at him, stunned to silence. He flaps some untidy documents over his head.

"We've already found the Higgs-Boson!" He exclaims at the top of his lungs.

The lead scientist of the LHC pauses a moment on the switch to the device and utters a single word.

"Crap."

No longer having any further use, the LHC collider becomes the birthplace of Particle Accelerator racing.

hehehe good stuff.... anyways the lhc isnt just meant to look for the higgs-boson but also super symetry, sparticles, dark matter, tachyons and many other theoreticle particles finding the higgs-boson would be huge but not the extent of the experiment.... 10 years down the road they are already planning to bulk up the lhc to 100% more powerful than it is now.... the bigger stronger faster smashes will reveal ever more particles to think the higgs boson is the only reason for lhc is erronous

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Check out my theory if you would..

I just posted a thread on this topic adding a phrophecy to the mix.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Wow a 4 year old article.

www.sciencedaily.com...

According to Science Daily, We still haven't found it.

top topics

join