It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Cults and the 100th Monkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Many people are quick to label religious groups with unusual views, or beleifs that differ from their own, as a cult.

I notice that that is a label that is sometimes applied without a full understanding. Here is the checklist of warning signs of a cult.

If you read this you will see that many of the smaller groups that are legitimately labeled as 'cults' fit these characteristics.

However, many, if not most, of the major religions to as well.

I am curious where the division is. How many people does a religion have to have to get out of that cult status, and be called "Major?" Why is there a social taboo against calling major religions a taboo, even if they might fit many, if not all of the characteristics?

Let's discuss

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think the term "cult" is totally subjective and its pretty much impossible to draw the line in any clear way. Yet I also belive there are such things as "cults." It's sort of like trying to define a word like "chilly" or "humid." People are all going to pick different temperatures at which they see the cut-off point. But that doesn't mean we can't use these words, either.

I think within any religious movement, there are going to be some people who are more fanatical than others. One member of a group may bring a deranged, "cult-like" atmosphere to his practice, while another member of the same group might relate to the whole experience in a completely innocent, healthy manner.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Christianity started out as a cult. When dealing in the more truthful objective reality you don't assume biases aimed at misguiding you. Like that of the term cult. When in all reality the term cult is a small group of people with shared spiritual understandings, it has been painted into something else so to induce fear at the thought of a "cult".

So the question is who wins by fooling you into thinking the term "cult" is something to run from? Who loses?

new topics

join