It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a photo of Martian Life, does anyone know where this came from?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm more curious of this picture.
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

it may not be life, but intresting embedded object and design

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Those are drill scars from the rover getting soil/rock samples.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You can see the 'creature' in the middle background of these 4 rearview cam picks from the rover. Doesn't seem to have moved at all. I'm guessing it's a very odd looking rock.

marsrovers.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is a lot of great insight here with hearty and passionate debate. Which is the course and heading for any discovery.

Some key concepts of the human psyche have been disclosed here.

• It is human nature to try to relate new and unfamiliar things, to things of which we are already familiar. “I think it looks like this or that”
• It is human nature that we inject our own experiences, the knowledge of our known world, into the missing pieces of data or blank spots when confronted with a puzzle. “It can’t be this” or “It must be that”

It is very difficult to do otherwise. But if we are to move beyond our own backyards, we must keep an open mind to new possibilities while maintaining a vigilant skepticism.

It is therefore required that we examine all possibilities and pursue the process of eliminating that which cannot be fact. Once that is done, we are left with only the facts.

What do we know? We have pictures supplied to us by NASA, taken by the mobile probe “Spirit” of the landscape of Mars. We have a plethora of data supplied to us by the “Phoenix” probe. We know we have discovered water and ice on Mars. We have discovered oxygen, CO2 and various other elements. We have discovered the temperatures on Mars are well within the range of some life as we know it and we accept all this to be true and accurate. This is what we know.

In four of those photographs we see what may appear to be rocks that are of an unusual complexity in contrast to the surrounding rocks. This complexity of form is in the sense of shape, configuration and color or shades of color. Those unusual, complex formations appear to be similar in form to each other but are of different size and these forms, for some people, resemble how we’d expect a living animal to appear.

What we know of our own biology here on earth and what we have learned to expect is that an offspring of an animal may look very similar to the adult but on a smaller scale, depending on its level of devotement. We have learned to challenge our traditional thoughts of life and that animals may have a vast range of size and shape even within their species as is with canines, felines, snakes, primates, and cetaceans. We have also recently learned that life exists anywhere it can by virtue of its own survival and ability to exploit any available source of energy. What is not known is what types of energy are on Mars.

For these reasons, we can imagine that the rocks are something more than just rocks and this is where the speculation begins.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Steel77

Your guess is probably right, but I still see a slight different between those that indicate a different time of photography. Compare shots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to see what I mean. Again, it is probably just the light changing from the sun being in a different position, but I just wouldn't think that a few seconds would make that much difference in the shading.

Either way, a great find in those raw photos!!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
pretty crazy, it sure does look like a gorilla of some sort, his facial expression even changes between the two pictures posted.
star/flag

At ~-60 degrees celsius, without oxygen, there will not be freaggin Martians.

Maybe in the long ago past, perhaps today as bacteria in those few areas of Mars which warm enough for the ice to thaw..

Even the Phoenix lander won't survive the Martian winter, that's f* cold!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by senshido

Are you sure?
Science suggests that the temperature on Mars isn't that big of a problem for some life forms with the availability of the right energy source. And with the discovery of H2O on Mars, there is oxygen. But even so, not all known life needs oxygen to live. Or do I have that all wrong?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by senshido

Originally posted by Fathom
pretty crazy, it sure does look like a gorilla of some sort, his facial expression even changes between the two pictures posted.
star/flag

At ~-60 degrees celsius, without oxygen, there will not be freaggin Martians.

Maybe in the long ago past, perhaps today as bacteria in those few areas of Mars which warm enough for the ice to thaw..

Even the Phoenix lander won't survive the Martian winter, that's f* cold!

Why not?
Well there would be no freaggin human that's for sure. But who are we to tell what other life form needs in terms of temperature and other climat conditions? This has been spoken of alot now in this thread now.

What we refer to as hostile enviroment might not be hostile for another species. We all might be right and wrong...who knows. We can only speculate atm. But we should do so open minded in my honest opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akezzon

Well said! A hostile environment is a subjective phrase.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn

Are you sure?
Science suggests that the temperature on Mars isn't that big of a problem for some life forms ...

Well, there are 3 things going against anything substantial being on Mars surface:

1- No oxygen, the CO2 levels are deadly

2- average temp between -90 and -50'ish in summer, colder in winter. I'll give you an example: the viking spent a winter on Mars, and one day it stuck its little shovel in the ground and left it there. When it pulled it up the next morning it was something like -127, and it warmed up to like -100...it is really really cold.

3- No ozone layer.

So, if the cold won't kill ya, breathing will; And if you don't need to breath the sun's radioactive rays will burn you..

If you want to hypothesize about possible life in this solar system, Europa may be a better candidate:

/27opgs

[edit on 12-8-2008 by senshido]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I fully understand your claim and rationale, but one point I do wish to emphasize, a point that has already been made in this thread and does sound poignant enough to be taken seriously, is that life may exist in a manner new and unfamiliar to us.

If we continue to follow the premise that all life can only exist in a manner as we know it, only as we expect it, only in a pre-conceived concept of form and function, we will certainly miss some truly fascinating and wondrous discoveries! If that is the case, why bother with space exploration at all? Why examine anything, why leave our own backyards?

In just the past 100 years, we have cataloged more odd and unusual life, here on earth, than in all of history combined. If fact this same statement can be said of the past 25 years. We have recently discovered that life is existing in forms and in environments here on earth that would have been considered impossible only five short years ago. This alone should be enough to open our eyes to the infinite possibilities of life outside our own backyards.

New discoveries of life here on Earth occur at such a pace that we cannot keep up with the cataloging process. In just one excursion, within the last year or so, a deep sea team has logged thousands of new species of life from the bottom of the sea, in an environment previously considered far too hostile and completely void of any life sustaining substances, to support life of any kind and yet, thousands of new species logged.

For these reasons, we do need to re-examine what is needed to sustain life and break it down to the basic facts. Even in the sense of life as we know it, life as we can identify and understand.

Again, those are all probably just rocks and until it is proven otherwise, I’m okay with it and can accept it. But I will not toss out of the window, any possibilities without all the data that either proves or debunks any claim or potential and in my humble opinion, neither should anyone else. To do so is equally as bad as saying the rock that looks like Yogi Bear is Yogi Bear or that the earth is flat, Rev. Jim Jones wasn’t a bad guy and the moon is made of cheese.

And by the way, there is still the question of those blueberries, anybody know what those are? Maybe the polarbearcowapes eat them to stay warm!!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Im not a pro but here it goes.... You make self judgement...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
it also seems to me like a rock, the overlay changes make it look like some sort of facial movement, it could be that the rock has specific features, the illusion of movement comes when the second picture was taken seconds later from a few degrees further...

but i must say that the human condition gives us the power to judge over all things known and unknown, what arrogant stance that is, when we believe the center of the Universe is planet earth...

there is still plenty science doesn't know about in this same planet, much less out there, life cannot be restricted to flourish in any environment.
just ask the extremophiles

[edit on 13-8-2008 by TheOneEyedProphet]

[edit on 13-8-2008 by TheOneEyedProphet]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me... You're all talking about a freakin rock.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by weknowyouknow

Actually, two sets of rocks, are you not paying attention? Look again, please.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yes AboveTopSecret will be the first place you'll hear that life on Mars exist...

I mean, 2 rocks on Mars exist...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by weknowyouknow

Thank you for recognizing that we were discussing the two sets of rocks. Did you also happen to notice that we were discussing what these two sets of rocks "look like" or did you think that someone had actually said that these rock formations were something else? If you look closer you should notice that we have from the start of this thread discussed what we thought they looked like, examined the NASA photos in great detail, compared them and so on.
We have also discussed what our traditional ideas of life are and what possibilities exist in extreme and hostile conditions.
I appreaciate your skepticism and any input or contribution you wish to make, but I did feel the need to make clear what we have actually been discussing here.
If it turns out that this is anything other than a set of rock formations, I am sure we will all be equally as delighted.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have seen various objects in my life that I cannot explain, but after looking at this site for the last few months I have come to the conclusion that most of the stuff I have seen here is a load of bunk! Rocks that people are saying are animals? You can look at a wall and see faces. If someone believes enough they will see what they want to see! So far I have not seen one footage of any UFO that is proof! Mostly fake. With all the cameras that have ten or more Megapixels, I can't believe there is not one clear shot of a UFO? I have taken pictures hand held of fast moving aircraft that are probably 40.000 feet up and I can zoom in with PS and get a clear picture. I have become more of a skeptic after seeing this site instead of the opposite. Good luck to all those who believe without proof.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There is more "life" in your pic ,some you can see
some is behind masking and tampering.
I think they use some translucence filtre.

Im marked some

But this one is really Dead

looks like a fish

Bug or something

I have no Idea what this could be

Martians? (Translucence) looks like ghosts

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
@imd12c4funn:
This is from your pic

Curious flying

top topics