It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dream Engineering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I had a crazy idea. I believe dreams represents a separate reality. Can we design some experiments in lucid dreaming. It might invoke some hidden powers of mind. We know that some scientists got their ideas in dream like benzene structure.

I am trying to multiply two digits numbers on a computer in the dream. Last time I got two digits correct.

We also need some techniques for invoking lucid dreaming.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There are countless methods for "involking" lucid dreaming, just do some research.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Sounds interesting, although its more usual to have ideas in dreaming than successfully perform calculations, being as what in that state the brain is busy collating memories. If a few memories happen to 'collide' while dreaming then a new idea can be formed, like maybe benzene is a hexagon with a delocalised electron ring instead of 3 double bonds

However, dreaming can be VERY lucid sometimes as well - which is bizarre, and could well help with development of semi-conscious data processing techniques.

The idea of 'hidden capabilities' in the brain usually comes from finding an ability to access neural networks not usually used in conscious thought - being as the dream state is onwe of altered consciousness, it could help i suppose...

But then you'd only have the same capabilities you'd been taught in the past and either not remembered or just not quite grasped at the time - if i needed 'hidden capabilities' to multiply two 2 digit numbers, i'd be a little worried...

On the whole though, a good point for further research - what was the sum and what did you get as an answer in the dream when you tried it?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i did 12*14 in the dream and got 164

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
in the extreme case we can try prime factorization.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Not quite yet methinks - have you tried simple addition/subtraction?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Dreams are made up of your subconcious creating within a template reality also created by your conciousness.

Dream experimentation is great, but dont waste it on arithmetic you can already do, ask some questions about your soul or to see a reptillian or something groundbreaking.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
firstly we have test the reliability of this reality, otherwise it would be no more than fiction.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SJ_SJ_SJ

Ask and ye shall receive...

I have not experimented with what this guy has posted, supposedly it will give you some sort of lucid dream involving Aliens.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

Just watched the link. I'm skeptical that it'll affect my dreams at all, but I'm open to the possibility.

To the OP:

Techniques for invoking lucid dreaming? Well, gee...my first lucid dream was induced by my feeling like I was on a swing (the kind in children's playgrounds). In the morning I had played on a swing for ten or fifteen minutes. When I went to bed that night, the sensation of swinging (back and forth) was still with me. As an eight or nine-year-old (this happened back in the 1970s), I wasn't _trying_ to induce a lucid dream, but, in retrospect, I suppose I was sort of meditating on the experience. And I sort of "swung" directly into a lucid dream.

It scared the heck out of me at the time, but I remember it well and it was effortless.

I suppose I could dub it "The Swing Technique".

Alternatively, "The Sun-Eye Method" seems to be a pretty good way for invoking OBEs--which some (not I) would argue might just be lucid dreams.

Good luck,
Fuggle

top topics

join