It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Truth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight
[more

Know.... Be. You are what you will - and in that what you know you will . There are not boundries but that with which you allow yourself to be derfined by.

There is no beginning and There is no end... Unless you so define it.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

Actually it makes a lot of sense. What the video was elaborating on, was FRAN's existence is to die. It wasn't the journey of being alive that was the purpose of FRAN's existence, it was the ultimate goal, the finality of it's existence. FRAN was created with the purpose to destroy the replicators, it knew it's purpose and understood what that purpose meant, that FRAN would no longer exist.

Our purpose is similar. We are born to procreate and after procreation, we die. We served our function, we passed on our genetic information and so there is no more need to continue existing. We die. It is not the journey, it is the ultimate goal. We die to make room for the new generations to come.

Hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

home is a pretty place - when I cannot find love or purpose - sometimes it calls me too.

[edit on 8/9/08 by rezial666]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

So ,,, What would u do if someone showed you a different perspective. One that reverberated not in the heart or "soul" but in the flesh?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

One of those Star Wars Bars is exactly the impression I get when visiting Egypt. But the heat man...the heat. It depresses me. I guess you´re used to it since you live there.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
Regardless, I have also a good understanding that death equals death and that there is nothing special about the human species. Most people refuse to except this for various reason's, be it religious, new age garbage, or just plain ignorance of the mechanics behind chemistry, biology, and physics.

In your biased opinion?

I personally believe that we should be looking for a way to extend the healthy lives of people, rather than wasting all this land to bury people.
ehhh a humanist?

I never understood why we put dead things inside acres and acres of land that could provide homes and food for people alive.

i understand why we do. But i agree with you that it's probably not putting the land to good use.

One thing that has always bothered me, why do people have this undying need that our universe be something special and that we have some special role in it? It makes no logical sense to think so. We are more like the parasites we try to destroy, and yet we're arrogant enough to think we're special?
We're more like a virus then a parasite. Parasites can have symbiotic relationships with their host. Are existence on this planet is hardly beneficial to it.
i understand your distaste for people who feel they are or must be, special.

"We are all part of the same compost heap."?

perhaps, but you should not downplay the significance of the universe, when you probably have little understanding of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish

We're more like a virus then a parasite. Parasites can have symbiotic relationships with their host. Are existence on this planet is hardly beneficial to it.
i understand your distaste for people who feel they are or must be, special.

We are only made parasite because we are forced to live as slaves - ask anyone who has the grand ability to be self sufficient without the abuse of government - o h wait maybe those are "bums".

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Top of the food chain kinda sucks...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Actually it makes a lot of sense. What the video was elaborating on, was FRAN's existence is to die. It wasn't the journey of being alive that was the purpose of FRAN's existence, it was the ultimate goal, the finality of it's existence. FRAN was created with the purpose to destroy the replicators, it knew it's purpose and understood what that purpose meant, that FRAN would no longer exist.

Our purpose is similar. We are born to procreate and after procreation, we die. We served our function, we passed on our genetic information and so there is no more need to continue existing. We die. It is not the journey, it is the ultimate goal. We die to make room for the new generations to come.

Hope that helps.

I could not have said it better myself, so thanks for elaborating on that concept.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

One of those Star Wars Bars is exactly the impression I get when visiting Egypt. But the heat man...the heat. It depresses me. I guess you´re used to it since you live there.
We have those bars here in Oregon too. Statistically more domestic violence and violence in general happens during hot days. The heat makes people a little mean.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Hope that helps.

Sorry, i was really tired and skipped the video - i didn't gain a full perspective of the idea.. my apologies.
So, when you put it like that, yer i can absolutely see what you mean - although that's assuming that our ONLY purpose here is to procreate. What if we exist on the physical plane to do more than that?? As Aristotle claimed, the purpose of life was to grow, learn, procreate and become a productive member of society, for example..
So if we're here now growing and learning, it must be for the purpose of some higher end - some reason that goes beyond our capabilities of comprehension even...
Or at least, that's what i think.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Everyone's opinions are biased, regardless however, all evidence points towards death being a final end. Ignorance or lack of education in chemistry, biology, and physics doesn't mean there is something beyond death.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I am a humanist, I just feel that extending the natural lifespan of a species is a more worthwhile activity than clearing land to bury decaying organic matter.

Why should the universe have any significance at all? Why should it be mystical and special? Just because we have a lack of understanding where it came from and how everything works doesn't mean there should be something 'supernatural'. Our species has constantly had to invent unobserved and unseen things to explain the "specialness" of our universe, be it god, dark matter/energy, infinite universes, a multiverse. Perhaps this is just it, perhaps what we see is all that exists. To imply there is a purpose or specialness behind it is to imply it was created with intent. To imply man has a special role in it is to imply it was created with the intentions of man in mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

reply to post by JPhish

Everyone's opinions are biased, regardless however, all evidence points towards death being a final end.

ALL of it? We must be looking at the wrong evidence.

Ignorance or lack of education in chemistry, biology, and physics doesn't mean there is something beyond death.

No one said it did. Ignorance or lack of education in chemistry, biology, and physics means ignorance or lack of education in chemistry, biology, and physics.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I am a humanist, I just feel that extending the natural lifespan of a species is a more worthwhile activity than clearing land to bury decaying organic matter.

duly noted.

Why should the universe have any significance at all?

because it exists?

Why should it be mystical and special?

why not?

Just because we have a lack of understanding where it came from and how everything works doesn't mean there should be something 'supernatural'. Our species has constantly had to invent unobserved and unseen things to explain the "specialness" of our universe, be it god, dark matter/energy, infinite universes, a multiverse. Perhaps this is just it, perhaps what we see is all that exists. To imply there is a purpose or specialness behind it is to imply it was created with intent. To imply man has a special role in it is to imply it was created with the intentions of man in mind.

Valid points, but do you have proof otherwise? Humans constantly attempt to percieve their reality differently; More truthfully if possible. Sometimes truth is thrown out the window and the individuals content is all that must be satisfied. Is this as good as it gets? Perhaps. But i believe that by limiting your understanding of the universe to finite externalist inferences, in the end, you will find yourself wanting.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

There a difference between a biased opinion and an observed phenomenon. For example, light, we know it exists. The evidence for this is quiet obvious, but the opinions on how light is propagated would be the biased opinion. The same with death. All evidence points at a finality of death, no one has ever come back and told us of an afterlife. Once you are dead, you are dead. Living people are the ones who came up with this afterlife nonsense. The evidence at hand vs. the biased opinions of the living.

Just because the universe exists doesn't mean there is any significance to its existence. Just because man can place meaning on things, doesn't mean those meanings have any universal significance. There is no proof otherwise, but there is no evidence to think so either. There is nothing but the opinions of humans. The universe may be 'fine tuned' for life, but it is also fine tuned for black holes. Perhaps our universe exists for black holes to form and life is just a byproduct of that.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
another thing why do we pretend to care about the dead, when in fact we get over it and some of us wished it. all the dead people i used to know are now forgotten by me and it was as though they never meant anything to anyone, in a few years no one would even be able to recall his/her existence. so clearly what we do in life wont matter since we wont be remembered anyway and life goes on.

Yes I agree, I'm am bound by humanity, and cannot forget people. However when I see this being done I wonder how shallow life must be. No one believes, really, in the afterlife and thus there is no care for the dead. My true vision is that I would not like to be one of the sad spirits who arrive in heaven having never believed in it.

i think people worry too much about their future as well because you guys must admit its pretty meaningless to waste your mind pondering on something like that. whatever happens just happens and it wont make the slightest of difference because we aint soldiers fighting for a cause, and if there is a cause its a sham.

maybe for once people can admit that their life is futile, im not saying u should give up on life, all im saying is that we should admit to that fact and live life knowing that whatever we do will result to nothing and our ultimate death will make us forget it.

Do something for your self so you can help others then you might feel it's worth it .Other than that, Hello shallow human how are you?

[edit on 11-8-2008 by rightwingnut]

[edit on 11-8-2008 by rightwingnut]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I cannot forget people either, but death is death. When my grandfather died, I didn't cry, I didn't feel sad, I was almost happy for him. He lived the last days of his life in suffering because the medical community couldn't care for him properly. Despite all their years of education, they never considered that he should change his diet and exercise more. Instead they pumped his body full of poisons hoping that would fix him. How in the hell is a poison supposed to make us better? Sure it might kill the infection, but it also slowly kills us.

You only get one life to live. No one has died and come back to tell us about an afterlife. Only living people have claimed there is an afterlife, usually living people who have something to sell you. If people weren't so damned gullible and would think for themselves for a change rather then gullibley accepting what any idiot with a nifty title before their name says, then maybe people would wake up for a change. I means christ, think for yourselves for a change.

Everyone I meet talks about other peoples opinions rather then their own. There is an afterlife because some nut job says so. Light is a constant despite any evidence of such, so the universe is X yrs old. Time is a force despite being needed to be measured by physical objects. Seriously, does no one think anymore? Do we just accept what people say so long as they have some authoritative title? Look at bush, president of the USA, he made the presidency, top authority, yet he is the truest most ignorant idiot on this planet. Title and authority mean jack, when your an idiot, your an idiot despite what title you have. Think for yourselves damnit.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
sorry but i know that humans are good at forgetting people they have lost, actually its a psychological thing, one cant live life in grief, we move on pretty quickly; love lost is love that is replaceable, everything is, time takes care of that. human life becomes reduced to memory that later vanishes at a whim. its funny how we actually blame them for causing us this grief as though they deliberately wanted to harm us through their sudden death, as though it were their fault.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes, we do feel damned ignored when someone dies. I know a friend who commited suicide and I feel cheated because I thought maybe he'd be impressed with my life or at least gain the courage to continue his own.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rightwingnut

sorry about ur friend, it must suck knowing that you couldve stopped it before it happened.

but what are friendships anyway, i know someone, a student who died in a car accident. his drunk friend was driving from a party and crashed against something that killed the friend next to him, so what the driver does is that he moves the dead body and puts him in the passenger seat to make it look as though his friend was the one who driving. so much for friendship. but it shows you how someone's life is suddenly and clearly rendered to sh*t when consumed by death.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join