It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proving The Existance Of God Cannot Be Done, Stop Trying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with people who believe in God, just when they claim that they can prove that he indeed does exist. Proving the existance of God cannot be done, there is a reason it is called faith. It is called faith because there is no factual evidence that points to it being a fact. That is why you have to have faith that he exists, you dont really KNOW that he exists, but you have faith that he does... I myself am an atheist, and have seen so many ridiculous posts by theists, who say they can "prove" the existance of "God using logic & critical thinking". We'll that particular thread had everything but logic & critical thinking, & the threadstarter ended up proving absolutely nothing. In another thread there was a theist who was trying to make the claim that the universe was created around human rules made so by God. I stopped reading his post after that, and as I expected his claim was quickly refuted by another poster.

later

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think it depends on what you view as "God."

While I'm not religious in any way, I tend to stay away from the "prove god is real" threads because it's impossible to prove either way. You can't prove "God" isn't real, as many people have different views as to what God is.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrGrieves

While I'm not religious in any way, I tend to stay away from the "prove god is real" threads because it's impossible to prove either way. You can't prove "God" isn't real, as many people have different views as to what God is.

ehhh I guess, however atheists aren't the ones who are supposed to prove anything. Theists are the ones making the claim that this god exists. I'm willing to believe he does exist but theists cant seem to prove it. That is because it cannot be proven

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Damn straight. For an atheist to prove their stance, they'd have to go through each and every deity ever conceived by man, and prove each one doesn't exist. Which is clearly impossible.

Or, theists can simply prove the existence of one of their gods (of which there are many). Which is also impossible.

Good luck to you, religious folks. If you need faith to get through the day, maybe you need some psychiatric help.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

If as you say, as many people have different views as to what God is, what does that say about the reality of God? As the late mathematician Bertrand Russell said WHERE NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING EVERYONE HAS HIS OWN OPINION!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Proving God's existance is the easiest thing to do.

The fact that you are reading this is proof enough.

To be alive is a spark that can only come from "God".

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

Your not really that ignorant are you?

This is on point the whole purpose of the thread, that blind faith=fact.

That stance is closed minded to the truth. The truth? I don't know it, but...neither do you. At least we don't pretend to by assigning a label to something you can't even know exists.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameneter

If as you say, as many people have different views as to what God is, what does that say about the reality of God? As the late mathematician Bertrand Russell said WHERE NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING EVERYONE HAS HIS OWN OPINION!

does this also apply to science?

just for arguments sake - if we're talking about what's provable - what is the reality of the universe?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

there is no proof of God, and there probably never will be

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989

ehhh I guess, however atheists aren't the ones who are supposed to prove anything. Theists are the ones making the claim that this god exists. I'm willing to believe he does exist but theists cant seem to prove it. That is because it cannot be proven

I didn't know any one was supposed to be proving anything :-)

you don't see the atheist point of view as faith based?

faith being what it is - belief in something that can't be proven

but - whatever you believe - that's fine - I have no problem with people who don't believe in god

I don't have anything to hawk

I'm just curious about one part of your original statement - why should they stop trying to prove it?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Atheism is not a faith. Why do so many people have such a hard time understanding that? It's an absence of faith. Which is not faith, any more than an absence of a sandwich is a tasty meal.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

Atheism is not a faith. Why do so many people have such a hard time understanding that? It's an absence of faith. Which is not faith, any more than an absence of a sandwich is a tasty meal.

but - do you believe in the possibility of the sandwich?

people understand

atheism isn't a religion

it's the absence of faith - in a deity or creator

it's still a choice - you choose to believe something - something not based on fact - something not provable

you believe there is no god

you have faith that there is no god

yes - it's a game

but the subject is about proving - or not - the existence of god

how is what an atheist believes any more substantial than what a religious person believes?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
"I didn't know any one was supposed to be proving anything :-)

you don't see the atheist point of view as faith based?

faith being what it is - belief in something that can't be proven

but - whatever you believe - that's fine - I have no problem with people who don't believe in god

I don't have anything to hawk

I'm just curious about one part of your original statement - why should they stop trying to prove it?"

nobody has to prove anything, but when you are trying to push your belief system on someone else, at least give actual proof that what you are saying is true.

"why should they stop trying to prove it???"

well doesn't it seem to you like it would be an awful waste of time, and energy to try to prove something that cannot be proven??? like I said in my first post, there is a reason it is called faith and not fact. That should be a simple concept that anybody should be able understand

and please, just stop trying to use my argument against me in this subject, atheism is not faith based.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

Originally posted by dave420

but - do you believe in the possibility of the sandwich?

people understand

atheism isn't a religion

it's the absence of faith - in a deity or creator

it's still a choice - you choose to believe something - something not based on fact - something not provable

you believe there is no god

you have faith that there is no god

yes - it's a game

but the subject is about proving - or not - the existence of god

how is what an atheist believes any more substantial than what a religious person believes?

well as far as where we are right now, it is fact that there is no god, because it hasn't been proven that there is. Is that simple enough to understand???

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989
I dont have a problem with people who believe in God, just when they claim that they can prove that he indeed does exist. Proving the existance of God cannot be done, there is a reason it is called faith.

Beautiful, you could not have put it in a better way, it is Faith that holds it together.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Actually, "faith" means to experience and know and be confident in that knowing based on experience. Like you have faith in your wife or best friend based on the experience of knowing them for so long, and knowing they will always come through for you. Of course, nobody can really prove anything to anyone if the person they are trying to prove "it" to doesn't experience it. Faith is different than belief.

You can go through each and every deity, and prove that it doesn't exist ONLY to yourself and those unfortunate enough to believe that you actually know something. Indeed, the only thing someone who hasn't "seen the light" can do is believe. At least it gives them hope for something more. What do you have in whatever you choose? Faith, or belief?

I'm not religious, but I know that God exists, and proof is all around you.
"For those who have eyes, let them see."
"For those who have ears, let them hear."

And for those who believe in something blindly, be it religious or scientific or political, let them either find their way accidentally, or let them fall off a cliff.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
All I can prove is that I am real, and I can only prove this to myself.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
Actually, "faith" means to experience and know and be confident in that knowing based on experience. Like you have faith in your wife or best friend based on the experience of knowing them for so long, and knowing they will always come through for you. Of course, nobody can really prove anything to anyone if the person they are trying to prove "it" to doesn't experience it. Faith is different than belief.

You can go through each and every deity, and prove that it doesn't exist ONLY to yourself and those unfortunate enough to believe that you actually know something. Indeed, the only thing someone who hasn't "seen the light" can do is believe. At least it gives them hope for something more. What do you have in whatever you choose? Faith, or belief?

I'm not religious, but I know that God exists, and proof is all around you.
"For those who have eyes, let them see."
"For those who have ears, let them hear."

And for those who believe in something blindly, be it religious or scientific or political, let them either find their way accidentally, or let them fall off a cliff.

Thats the thing, most people don't form their opinions on religion based on experience, they do it blindly. I'd say of all the theists on this planet, at least 90 percent of them were in a way, forced to believe in God. The other ten percent imo are just misguided, lol but like I said I have no problem with people who believe in God. My entire family and all of my friends all believe in God so I don't have anything against you guys

"I'm not religious, but I know that God exists, and proof is all around you."

No u dont know God exists, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but if you really KNEW that god existed then this conversation would be over. The debate would have been silenced, I would be a believer, and you would probably be one of the most famous people in the history of man. There is proof all around us???, maybe to you.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Me being a musician, where do you think your ideas come from? Science tries to tell us that our brains are only active because of a random chain of chemical reactions that lead to our evolution up to this point, our conception, our birth, and our thought processes. If this is the truth, then what the Heck is our consciousness doing being able to reason and use logic and create very precise and very intricately beautiful things? We should be very random and chaotic and never be able to think nor conceive of anything. We should just be basically dead matter. We shouldn't even be matter. Things can only "matter" to some intelligent force. This had to have been here since the beginning of time. You don't just throw a bunch of things into a pot and accidentally invent an orderly universe filled with life and intelligence. It doesn't happen that way, and if we kept the wisdom we had forgotten from young childhood, we would indeed laugh wholeheartedly at that absurd explanation.

I don't think scientists have had any successful experiments thus far of creating intelligent design through random chemical reactions. The Yugo and the Pinto might have been exceptions, because those are both pieces of crap.

Like I was saying, I'm a musician. I write songs, but I never considred them to be MINE. I couldn't consider them my songs, when I considered how I felt about them when I first wrote them. It was like magic... and then there was AMAZING SONG... and I would sit there in awe, playing it over and over again, enjoying it like it was a song on an album by someone else. You could say that it was just your spirit... but where did your spirit come from? Surely if you were born from another and they were born from another and so on and so forth back until everyone's tree meets in a common ancestor, your soul is the same way. That is the common ancestry of the universe, the multi-verses the other dimensions of multi-verses, the parallel realities, all matter, all ether, all energy... comes from one common source.

You can call the source whatever name you want. You can call the source Bob. We all come from Bob the Grand Architect. All of our thoughts and ideas, all of our movements, all of our physicality, everything inside and out is the body of...Bob. Bob made good, Bob made evil, Bob made all the shades of gray area in between. Bob is watching you. Literally. Put a bunny ear antennae on your head and be quiet. The show's on.

Just because you can't see beyond the horizon doesn't mean the Sun dies and falls into an abyss. The same can be said about your reality. Just because you cannot see beyond your event horizon, doesn't mean things aren't happening above, below, or in between its particles, that you cannot percieve where your current boundaries are.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
God doesn't exist "Out there" somewhere.

This is the mistake many people make, is worshipping it like it is high and mighty. It's nothing to be worshiped. You don't have to thank God for your being. God thanks you for being and teaching him all about this artwork that he made and is experiencing. I guess you can be thankful, but thank yourself because at your core, you are God. If you are not meant to experience what "God" is and what "God isn't, you won't know. You'll either believe or not believe. I can't show you spiritual enlightenment, dude. I can't show you a picture or a statistic, and all the sudden your mind ascends into eternal light and you go "Ahhhhh okay I get what you're taking about now!"
It's not for anybody to prove but yourself. The very fact that you are arguing at all means that you are searching. Once you have the eyes, you will see. Like Crazy Old Jesus said.

Don't ignore it because you've had a bad experience. This is what Orthodox religion has been trying to do for millenia... is get people to lose Faith, and euther blindly believe, or just reject it all together. It's about the Authorities having control. If you truly knew, you would have no need for others to tell you how to act towards one another.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join