It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-coated bullets could help solve gun crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Nano-coated bullets could help solve gun crimes

www.sciam.com

U.K. researchers are developing a coating for bullet casings that sticks to the hands (or gloves) of anyone handling it and is very difficult to remove. The idea is to give each bullet a "fingerprint" that can be traced to a given crime.

Today, cops rely on generic gunpowder, primer and lubricants getting on the shooter's hands and clothing when a bullet is fired. Such techniques can tell when someone has fired a gun, but can't tie a shooter to a specific bullet casing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.freerepublic.com
www.blacklistednews.com

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ok so first the nano coatings.

Second, the new laws that only allow the sale of this ammunition to the general public, and the outlawing of current type bullets (more difficult to trace).

Third, they can't take away the guns (for the most part even though some communities have laws allowing the seizure of weapons based solely on police discretion), so now at least the NWO will be able to track who fired what bullet much easier.

Fourth, whatchas wanna bet that the new laws will not apply to law enforcement and intelligence agencies? They can kill you with tough to trace bullets while you pull the trigger and you're as good as caught. Always got to keep the one up on the public. As if the military arming of police wasn't enough.

www.sciam.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I actually think that "fingerprinting" bullets is good idea. If person fires in self defense - he should not be afraid of the authorities (ideally). If bullet is fired according to laws and regulations - it is fine.
I am worried about side effects of nano coating on the victim - that could be totally innocent. So far, as i am aware, nano sized particles are toxic by them self due to body's inability to confine/excrete them properly. Bullet is much more toxic, of course. But added stress of milligrams of potentially toxic substance is not that welcomed and could worsen the situation.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is completely stupid. Ever heard of latex gloves? Or the black market? What if you just reload your old ammunition and never buy these new type? Criminals will find ways around this half-way solution.

Plus, if you completely ban or outlaw guns, who will it affect? Only law abiding citizens. Criminals never care about guns laws or bans.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Rather than saying 'stupid' perhaps we should ask if it is cost-effective?

I think we'd all be surprised a how few criminals actually bother to wipe prints or wear gloves.

At any rate, it may be worth doing if it solves a few crimes, and/or prevents future crimes by the perps.

I'm not disagreeing with you so much as refining the concept.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ya, I tend to reply with emotion. My bad. It is true that criminals forget a lot of details. Because most crime is done out of passion or necessity. But I doubt this magic solution will resolve the problem.

What is the solution? I don't know. But I would trust concealled-carry, law abiding citizens with proper training any day. Look what happened during the mall shooting in Salt Lake City. It was resolved by an off-duty police officer who was carrying. Imagine a society with legally certified concealled carry citizens.

Criminals will find ways to commit the crime. If there were no guns in the world, swords and knives will be the issue of crime control. Recently in Tokyo, a man drove a large truck into a crowd. After running over some people, the man got out and started slashing people with a sword.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Heres a crazy and wacko idea why dont we stop making guns.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
Heres a crazy and wacko idea why dont we stop making guns.

Because then we would be unable, as a people, to defend ourselves from tyranny.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
No, you pegged it exactly.

It *is* stupid. First off, you've got all these sticky nanoparticles that are coating the cartridge casing. When the bullet is chambered, these particles will accumulate in the barrel throat, causing a failure to feed, fire, or extract. Worst case scenario it could cause a potentially fatal barrel blockage.

We won't mention the accumulative effects of this sticky material upon the magazine of the gun, which will give rise to additional failures to feed.

I don't care how small these particles are. They will accumulate and cause a failure at the worst possible time...like oh dark thirty when some lowlife decides that your house looks like it contains valuables.

If you don't like guns all that much, I issue a challenge to your conviction. Make a sign for your front door that says "This is a gun-free home!"

I give it a week before you have "company."

FWIW, I am a gunsmith and the owner of a small gun store. I am against *any* so called safety measure that can give rise to a failure when guns are needed the most.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yep, unfortunately, there's always the off chance that a Tyrannical government could get elected into office. Then again, even with guns, there's no chance the people could stand up to Homeland Security if they did decide to force the people to comply.

Plus, guns will always find their way into the country from other sources.

We have this issue here in Canada, with American guns leaking across our borders. It's difficult to track a crime when the gun came from a different country all-together.

There's no easy solution to the problem of gun violence. Better education might help bring the numbers down. I've spoken with allot of Americans who seem to think dropping out of high school is a legitimate option.
This problem arises from a lack of funding to complete their education.

Those without education are always more likely to end up performing criminal acts to keep themselves fed.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

not necessarily i mean if not one person on this earth had guns i think that would help us all a lot in my opinion

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

I can't argue with that!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

It would be great to live in a Utopia. But reality says otherwise. If you remove all guns in the world, criminals will just reach for a knife, sword or almost anything.

My girlfriend used to live near Paramount Studios. A mentally, unstable person forgot to take his meds. After Paramount Studios security refused his entry, he went around the neighborhood, walked into a person's house and stabbed him to death. After he was finished, he went next door and did the same thing.

The first victim was on the phone with AT&T while he was stabbed to death. AT&T operator immediately called 911. When the police arrived, the stabber was already in the neighbor's house stabbing her.

We live in a crazy world. I prefer to plan for the worse, hope for the best. Or, "I'd rather have [blank] and not need it, than need [blank] and not have it."

top topics

join