It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a modern society of tolerence should christians be prevented from becoming police officers, lawye

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Given the fact that there appears to be much confusion and argument within christianity over its own historical validity, etc .

Is it a smart thing to have people with such a confused religious belief in positions of social influence?

It would appear that some christians claim that every word in their bible is the true word of their Jesus god .

There are some christians that claim that the Jesus god of the bible did not actually exist but they like to believe it.

There are other christians who claim that the Jesus God of the bible was very real exists now etc but only selected portions of the bible apply to them.

I would not dispute for a minute that there are countless other types of christians each with their own take on the bible, and would not for a minute try to deny anyone their right to believe what they wish, even if their belief is that everyone else should believe the same as them.

The western world at least, has made enormous progress in eliminating the insane practices and dogmas held by the christian religion which it inflicted upon society over the last few hundred years.

EG Non christian people no longer have to bow down and worship the jesus god contrary to their own beliefs, for fear of being tortured or burned at the stake etc.

However, there are still millions of people who still worship the jesus god of the bible, this very book being the instruction manual of all their previous inhuman attrocities, the bible itself allthough being recopied and edited time and again still includes the original instructions that have killed so many millions.

I have been led to believe (by christians) that christians are varied in how they chose to interpret their instruction manual which appears to cause confusion and conflict.
I have no concern whatsoever in these varied interpretations or disputes etc, but my concern is when they have an impact on me or the future of my children.

The concerns that I have, have been raised by changing social attitudes of non religius people and (what appers to me) the disgruntled and confused beleief system of the jesus god cult.

Many christians believe that a gay man is an abomination, which is in direct accordance to their bible instruction manual, so I'll use this situation to raise my point.

If a man known to be gay is arrested in relation to a crime and is brought to trial to be judged by his peers. Could the gay man expect a fair and balance hearing, if the police officer, judge , jury or even his own lawyer, are christians?

I ask this baring in mind many christians believe that a homsexual man has commited an aboination in accordance with their supreme law even before his case is heard.

Equally so, should a christian teacher with such etreme views be allowed access to young naive mind, are we to safely assume that the teachers beliefs would not influence our children ?

If I were to get divorced, how could I possibly trust a christian lawyer ?

Given the attrocities commited by the christians when they were in a position of total influence and power, and the current expanding awaerness of the islamic similarities. Should it be mandatory for people to declare their religious affiliations prior to applyiing for jobs etc where there may be a possibilty of influence of others through position?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think that ONLY scientists should be allowed to be police AND politicians. I say this because only scientists seem to have the ability to look at empirical evidence and make a rational decision. All others have their judgement clouded by their faith and/or false misconceptions formed through ignorance.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Why should what someone believes even be an issue. I really couldn't care less as to what someone believes, as long as they do their job.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Given the attrocities commited by the christians when they were in a position of total influence and power, and the current expanding awaerness of the islamic similarities. Should it be mandatory for people to declare their religious affiliations prior to applyiing for jobs etc where there may be a possibilty of influence of others through position?

Why stop with that? If Christians are so harmful to society, why not just outright lead the push for a return to "yellow badges"? (Unless I'm misunderstanding your logic?)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Why should what someone believes even be an issue. I really couldn't care less as to what someone believes, as long as they do their job.

I like yourself couldnt care less what someone else chooses to believe, and I appologise if I wasnt clear enough on this point.

However if persons belief system includes, judging and condeming the way I or my children choose to live , this does concern me when this particular belief system has a history of acting upon their instructions instructions in a violent manner.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
However if persons belief system includes, judging and condeming the way I or my children choose to live , this does concern me when this particular belief system has a history of acting upon their instructions instructions in a violent manner.

Case in point would be the Texas State Police and the Child Protective Services taking those 400+ kids from their families because their religious beliefs were different. I know, I know...that's not the official reason they were taken...However, a simple follow-up on that "anonymous" tip would have been sufficient to show that the tip was false. They did the same thing with the Branch Davidians in Waco. These are just the bigger stories. This type of discrimination based upon religion occurs daily in every scenario including simple traffic stops.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is an argument that scientists would be more rational about things but generally I think the police are perfectly rational about things as it is, Christian or not. As SpeakerofTruth said, as long as they get it done it doesn't matter. If religion was appearing to be an issue in an individual case then maybe I'd agree the person in question be assigned something different.

Besides, if you exclude Christians from these positions you're excluding a whole lot of people. Not to mention the outrage it would cause!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PreTribGuy

Why stop with that? If Christians are so harmful to society, why not just outright lead the push for a return to "yellow badges"? (Unless I'm misunderstanding your logic?)

Yes you misunderstand my concern, I appologise for not making myself clear to you.

I will try to clarify with your yellow badges, and stick with the gay thing for the time being as it has recently been an issue in the UK with advent of single sex marriages.

If hypothetically it only took a handful of people to form a government and they had the ability to introduce laws against the wishes of the majority of people by using other powerful people within their circles of influence, like the media etc,
(not unlike what is alledged on ATS etc to be going on in some countries )

If these people have a belief system that explicity instructs them that homosexuality is an abomonation, punishable by death, how long would it be before a return of yellow badges for a homosexual?

Once Again, If a homosexual man is on trial and his Jury of peers etc are predominantly christian. What is the probablilty of him having a fair and balanced trial, if these people have a deep rooted belief system telling them he (his actions which define him) are an abomination punishable by death?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

(Emphasis mine)

In a modern society of tolerence should christians be prevented from becoming police officers, lawye

I apologize for not noting the irony of your topic for this post. It actually made me chuckle a little bit.

Sorta like "Anarchists will RULE YOU someday!"

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by no name needed

Thanks for your response I had not thaught of these incidents you mention which are very valid food for thaught.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PreTribGuy
I apologize for not noting the irony of your topic for this post. It actually made me chuckle a little bit.

Sorta like "Anarchists will RULE YOU someday!"

LOLz...That reminds me of Austin Powers...what do you hate the most? "People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by no name needed
I think that ONLY scientists should be allowed to be police AND politicians. I say this because only scientists seem to have the ability to look at empirical evidence and make a rational decision. All others have their judgement clouded by their faith and/or false misconceptions formed through ignorance.

Thanx for this very thaught provoking reply, would you agree that we all have potential to be scientists as it were, if we could dump our judgments based on unfounded mythalogical religions, even if only when we need to think rationally?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yes, I would agree.

Additionally, think about how scary it is to know religious people (regardless of religion) would be peers to any trial you may ever be on! Think about the fact that there would be people, that have based their life around the biggest lie ever believed, on a jury. If you were innocent...well, they already bought the big lie. Now all the prosecuting attorney needs to do is sell the jury on a much smaller lie to convict you

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by no name needed

makes one wonder, Did christianity invent a devil or did a devil invent christianity ?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I'm not buying it myself providing some ones beliefs doesn't interfere with there job I don't care what fairy tales they believe in. Besides in New Zealand at least such an idea would fall a foul of anti discrimination laws .

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As a Christian, if I was in law enforcement (and I'm a woman!), I would only follow the law of the United states and Geneva convention.
It wouldn't matter if anyone was gay, muslim, stupid or cross-dressing. It's about the specific crime!
No higher penalty for people I disagree with!
Thank the lord we have Christian officers!
Have you ever watched Dog the Bounty hunter?
(Aside from his racist remarks), he did EXTRA for those on the wrong side of the law.
He counseled them, helped them out!
Too bad he was being racist! Really wrong against his native Hawaiian friends!

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
While separation of state and religion is necessary for human rights to flourish, this refers to laws being secular, not to employees being excluded should they have a faith, or no faith. Prohibiting certain segments of the population from positions based on gender, or religion would be discrimination and a human rights violation in itself.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
As a man of the military and a Pagan I say that is total horse-poo

Christianity has nothing to do with the hiring practices...well it shouldn't be.

And the idea that only scientists should hold those positions is awful. Remember that science was based on faith. Scientists and religious folk are very similar. How many scientists were persecuted for their beliefs?

NOOO The world IS flat!!

NOOO We ARE geocentric!!

Those scientists had faith and bam...proof arose. Now I know what you are thinking. How can one prove god? Well the short answer is you can't but think about this...can you really prove science?

2+2=4 right? Then how come in a base 3 counting system 2+2=1?

I read this somewhere and I loved it...maybe it was in one of your siggies. Either way if I find it I will fully credit the poster...

infinity - 2 = infinity
infinity - 4 = infinity
infinity - 2 = infinity - 4

relieve the equation of those like terms...

- 2 = - 4

huh...

obviously it isn't perfect math...but the point is how do we honestly know what we see is right? Carbon dating...long trusted...prove to me that your original sample test was correct

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

So if for EXAMPLE you found out that your president and his adminastration, and many of their close corperate colleagues etc were practicing satanists , you would be comfortable with this ?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

I'm not buying it myself providing some ones beliefs doesn't interfere with there job I don't care what fairy tales they believe in. Besides in New Zealand at least such an idea would fall a foul of anti discrimination laws .

In principle I agree with you,thanks for the reply. I live in the EU and antidiscrimination laws abound.

However, should I decide to write a book and claim in this book that all NewZealenders are an abomination and should be put to death, Im sure our current laws would have someone knocking on my door a bit quick.

However if no one knocks my door, and I suddenly became your employer or doctor etc how comfortable would you feel ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join