It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Showdown Looms for 'Climate Camp'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Showdown Looms for 'Climate Camp'

news.bbc.co.uk

Protesters are aiming to shut down Kingsnorth power station on the Medway estuary in Kent this weekend.

They oppose the decision of its owner, the energy company E.ON, to replace the ageing site with a brand-new coal-fired power station - the first such to be built in Britain for 30 years.

The protesters are hoping that their week-long demonstration will inspire others to follow in their green footsteps.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This is an interesting article about a protest in the UK over the possibility of building a new coal fired power generation unit, the camp is entirely emissions free, uses solar and wind power, and reminds me of a commune with everyone sharing resources.

The one thing I disagree with is the plan of the protesters to breach the current security perimeter of the power station in an attempt to shut down the station.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Looks like things got a little over the top at the protest site:

Arrests in power station protest

Fifty people have been arrested during a day of action at Kingsnorth power station in Kent.

Police said four activists managed to breach the perimeter fence, but they were intercepted inside the grounds of the plant on the Hoo peninsula.

Another four people were arrested trying to launch a boat on the River Medway and 123 campaigners were rescued from the water.

There's also a video clip of some of the events at the power plant in the above link.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Jack,
Theres no compromise these enviornment zealots will consider. They want us back in the stone age with no light, no heat, except the sun. They, for the most part, want us to be plant eaters and ignore all else to the detriment of us all!! We had better find a way to start ignoring them and do what is necessary to expand our life style, not reduce it.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
In an age where people seem to be fond of accusing others of putting themselves before the good of others, it should be a major surprise that these wackos are putting their own pseudo-science in front of the well-being of others. But it isn't, at least not to me.

People need heat to survive in the winter. I suppose that people dying of hypothermia is fine because they will breath out less CO2. I suppose that leaving people to cook in the summer heat is also permissible. How about food? Many people rely on electricity to cook their food. So they must starve to maintain lower CO2 levels?

Oh, I know what the 'answer' is, before anyone points it out. Go green. Buy solar panels for your home. Get your power from windmills. But not everyone has the ability to buy solar upgrades. It requires money, which is in short supply for the poor (that's sorta why they're called the 'poor'). No one I know of has the ability to pick and choose where the electricity they use is made, or how its made. These things are simply not possible.

The improvement is necessary to continue to provide electrical power for the population, rich, poor, black, white, everyone. But I suppose the real agenda must have nothing to do with helping those in need. Charity and human compassion for those in need seem to be the least of the worries of Global Warming advocates... or should I say Gaia followers, since this is obviously a religious fervor taking place.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join