It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUGS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I live in North Easter Ohio. I have a habit of sitting on my porch between 8 and ten PM to smoke a cigar and enjoy the night air. In past years, the streetlight near my house would have a cloud of hundreds insects buzzing around it. This year there are almost no insects out at night; a strange thing for rual Ohio in the middle of summer.

I was wondering of anyone else has noticed this marked lack of insects and, if so, does anyone hae any ideas as to why?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I live in Southern California and have not noticed any LACK of bugs ... in fact, it seems like there are MORE bugs! The last two months I've split my time between my house in Orange County and my house in San Diego and in both areas I'm seeing more bugs than normal! I'm not sure if there really are MORE bugs this year or if I'm just noticing them more because my 7 year old twins are going through a 'bugs are freaky/creepy/scary' stage and they are constantly pointing them out to me and asking me to catch the bugs and put them outside.

Because of the attention my twins are putting on bugs, I can't be sure that our bug population has really increased, but I am sure that we are seeing a dramatic INCREASE in the number of flies! It's really icky and I hope that they fly away and leave the so cal area ASAP!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Good for me! I can't stand misquitoes and the like!

I guess I've noticed a drop down here, I haven't been biten by anything else but spiders; who I hope are the next to go 'cause I'm anrachnophobic.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I thought last week, I am glad I still am not bothered by those pesky mosquito's.

This week they arrived, there are lot of new species of insects here this year, they all seem to get bigger. (I live in Europe)

So be glad that they aren't bugging you yet.

I guess they are just a bit late this year.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have no problems here in the suburbs of Chicago. The welts on my ankles can testify to that fact!

Beetles, mosquitos, moths and the like are all still in abudance.

I do notice far fewer bees, wasps, and hornets however. I haven't seen a bumble bee at all this year and the only wasp I've seen was dead on my patio. I know there were some threads/posts earlier this summer about the bee population rebounding, but that is one thing that I am not seeing here.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I guess there has been a lot of bats born this spring - two litters already and there might be another.

Keep your eye out for the bats just before the sun rises. They are out in force this year.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You're in OH...I'm in TN...all your bugs have been taken captive and let out in my yard. I am unable to open my door at night due to the massive swarm of flying insects around my area. But of course I live waaaay out in the sticks and near a large river.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
GAH! Bugs. We've had a couple of ant infestations in the kitchen. Those really teeny ants that are hard to see unless they're crawling. I've torn down a couple of wasp nests built under the eaves of the house.

Yesterday at work, I looked up and there was a spider the size (including legs) of my palm crawling across the top of my desk. I was on the phone and jumped about 15 feet out of my chair. Continued the conversation and hung up. Caught it in a paper towel and took it outside. Then got another one this morning, not quite as big.

No, my personal experience is that the bugs, other than bees, are as thick as ever. I'm still not seeing a lot of bees.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz

I do notice far fewer bees, wasps, and hornets however. I haven't seen a bumble bee at all this year

Now that I think about it, neither have I and the summer is about over already.

[edit on 8/10/2008 by Classified Info]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, I haven't noticed a big difference here in Florida in the amount of bugs, but bugs just like animals are influenced by the magnetic fields of the planet we reside on.

Could there be a major happening brewing? Interesting indeed.

new topics

top topics

join