It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identify this object please....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks for all the info and work done by other members. Its a nice discussion for a change about something WITH a picture. I'm convinced it is an UFO Because it is Undentified and it is an Object, I'm not sure about the flying part...

So I found this article Green UFO, though I realize this doesn't help much, because it will remain "Unidentified", but it could be similar.

SO I guess we will have to leave it at that. May you will see it again en get som better pictures or details.

S&F

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think this is what I saw last week, It definately wasn't a nebulae it was something in the low atmosphere a few thousand feet I guess. The only thing I can think is a flare, can anyone provide any links to flares that look like this?

heres my post cut and paste from this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Last night around 9:45 pm near Lincoln a Jet flew over my house with full afterburners on (unusual). To its right there was a golden orb going from west to east , it could have been a satellite or debris but it was still fairly light inj the sky and more golden in colour than satellites normally appear and much brighter than average satellite. Then as it dissapeared a Red/Green glowing orb appeared about a mile north of where the jet was a minute ago moving towards me. as i grabbed my camera it faded and appeared to move upwards and to the right. Where it was there appeared to be smoke/cloud/white tube serpent ufo lingering but was hard to make out through the light cloud cover. Im fairly convinced the red green orb was a UFO not so sure about the golden orb as it had satellite movement.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

The thing is i saw this object before taking the pic.
It wasn't a dirty lens, a speck of dust or a bug or any random thing with my cam-phone, i wouldn't have pulled over and took a pic of a speck of dust on my camera, having seen the object in the sky and watched it.

I appreciate all the help, and i guess it remains an open case?

Thanks again everyone for your input.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hi All.

Without the exact direction the camera was pointing and the precise time some guesswork would be involved but just with a quick look at my stuff I could tell you that a good few things were floating about at the time so... in brief:

To the south:
Satellite METOP-A with a magnitude of 1.9
Satellite IRIDIUM-84 with a magnitude of 2.5

Jupiter was also present in the southern sky and was very bright with a magnitude of -2.6

To the east we have :
IRIDIUM-39 at a magnitude of 2.68

To the north we have:
IRIDIUM-53 at a magnitude of 4.09 (quite dim)

And not much to the west at all except Arcturus with a nice magnitude of -0.07

Note however that these sat positions are extremely time dependent and are taken from the exact time-stamp presented in the cameras Exif information from the shot.

If the camera time is off even by a few minutes things change radically.

E.g. At 22.17 we would be able to see the ISS in the south with a magnitude of 0.8, in the north COSMOS 1500 and 2058, IRIDUIM53 and IMS-1 to the south, IRIDIUM 44 to the east and nothing to the west.

At 22.20 we would have Meteor Priroda, IMS-1 and COSMOS-2058,

And at 22.30 we would have had only METOP-A in the north west and not much else.

Overall at this time period there were a lot of possibly candidates for Satellite flares and you would have needed to be blind not to notice Jupiter.

Note M53 at the time not counting cloud cover etc had an apparent calculated magnitude of 8.5 so I wouldn't say there was much chance of catching that with a 1/17 ISO 800 shot...

Cheers.
Absence.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

Thanks for all the info.
It was a really clear night so not much cloud, if any.

I'm gonna look for some sites today when i've finished work, that i can send it to.
Need to find out, if only for my piece of mind.

I thought ATS would have it by now.....

It's funny.... if this was one of these hoax threads, it would be 500+ pages of rubbish and every expert would be on it debunking and enlarging pics etc to get to the bottom.
When someone actually has something intriguing and seemingly unexplainable/unexplained yet, not a peep, relatively speaking from said experts.

I'm slightly disappointed by this but then what should i have expected?

Thanks to those who did try and were involved.

[edit on 5/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

It's probably because your shot is so simple yet nebulous when a large proportion of ATS is now composed of people who can't accept that there are no real answers from either ourselves or the government.
The simple nature of anomalous phenomena to a large degree is bypassed in favour of the flamboyantly ridiculous self delusion that is the stock in trade of the hoaxer because it produces more certainty within a system of self belief.

After all, people have a tendency to place blind faith in the fantastical no matter its credibility and effectively ignore all evidence to the contrary even when that faked evidence just produces disappointment again and again.. (Vallée referred to it as the ratchet effect).

Even worse is the degree of delusion whereby the fakery is incorporated into the mistaken belief system and used as an obtuse means of shoring up its unsound walls. Fakery is employed as evidence of a cover-up etc..

Anyhow..

Just to give you an idea of what's up there within any given time period I have produced for you something of a simulation.

The following video presents an accelerated view of the night sky in oxford looking north on the 02 August 2008 from the time of 10.10 to 10.50 pm.

The moving objects are all manmade satellites passing the area. (officially listed - not secret military of which there are a few) with major stars labeled as a handy reference.

20mb QuickTime Mov and I apologise for the poor compression but it should do for an overview.

Oxford Sky 02 August

Absence.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Absence of Self]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Thanks for your help.
I can except that it is cosmic or a nebula or whatever.
There have been many on the thread who have said it is impossible to capture a nebula on a cameraphone and others who are adamant that it is a nebula.....I have no idea either way, that's why i asked for help.

I never claimed what it was, just wanted help.

As i said in my last post, what should i have expected?

It's always 50-50, there is no god.....Yes there is.

Aliens don't exist.....yes they do.

We didn't land on the moon.....yes we did.

9/11 was an inside job......no it wasn't.

This is a picture of a nebula.....no it's not.

I could go on forever...

Unless i actually see an alien, elvis, Nibiru or something equally compelling (fake) then i will refrain from starting a thread.
I am not into hoaxes which seems to be the way this site is going at the moment.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This is resized (just a pixel resize) and with levels adjustment, without loss of data.

Knowing that the photo was taken with a 1/17 of a second exposure and (from my personal experience) that photos taken with less than 8 to 10 zoom factor show less than what we see with the naked eye, it was probably very bright.

The difference in colour may be a result of the camera itself or because the flash was fired (according to the EXIF data).

Even if you do not see it again, could you please take a photo on the same place, so we can have a comparison between that photo and a "normal" photo?

And no, that is not a hot pixel.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I've been waiting since the other night to go back and take a picture, but it's been cloudy and rainy every night since

As soon as it clears up, i will be back to take a pic.
That's the problem with summer in England, it's always raining...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Hey, don't be sad or dissapointed bc you do not get the answers and infos you are looking for ... here on ATS .
You had an amazing Sighting and even captured it on a picture

I find this green light very interesting, though I can not say what it was/is. And also the fact that noone here went deeper into the subject that it could be 'astro-garbage' coming down ... like I've suspected in my other post in your thread ... I found an interesting article and started to consider several of the sightings here from an different angle ...
What you really saw?! ... I don't know! ... but everything temporary is an illusion

Sending you some sunshine ... to liquidate the clouds

PS: I like your sig, DUDE!

[edit on 6/8/2008 by guard]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by guard

Thanks for the kind words man.
Which line of signature do you like....the big lebowski bit or napoleon?

As soon as i get a chance i will go back(weather permitting) and snap it, if it's still there.

I'm not sad or angry or anything like that, just a little disappointed as i said.
All these hoaxes and cr** that are on here at the moment seem to be getting so much attention and opinions from serious people, yet a genuinely mysterious thing like i have spotted gets a few laughs and jokes and that's about it?
Obviously not everyone, but a few just dismissed it.

Like i said some saying it's a nebula, some say that's impossible....i don't know either way, it's not my forte....

I'll look into the garbage thing a bit more.

Thanks

[edit on 6/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absence of Self
Just to give you an idea of what's up there within any given time period I have produced for you something of a simulation.

The following video presents an accelerated view of the night sky in oxford looking north on the 02 August 2008 from the time of 10.10 to 10.50 pm.

The moving objects are all manmade satellites passing the area. (officially listed - not secret military of which there are a few) with major stars labeled as a handy reference.

20mb QuickTime Mov and I apologise for the poor compression but it should do for an overview.

Oxford Sky 02 August

I just had a look at this ... well done
and great to contribute something like that ... really fascinating ... even though it does not help identifing the green object ... where did you get the data from?!

@blupblup

You have to add an 'wo' before the 'man.' in your first sentence of your last post here

I like the big lebowski one and did not know until now that the other one is a quote from Napoleon. Thanks.

Concerning the green bright object ...
-> the greenish color might come from (a reaction with) hydrogen out there
and blue from oxygen and red from sulphur

As someone mentioned flares .. yes could also be ... lol ... from a pistol or a sun eruption.

I was just wondering by myself if nowadays and reading around here (where lots seem so desperate to get attention with some UFO stuff /hoax ...) someone would be able to recognize and see the difference between an UFO and some serious SOS flares coming from a place/ship in need ... Anyway.

Enjoy your research concerning Astro-GARBAGE (or space junk?), even if you just find a Stupid Girl. lol I had no muse to find the correct link of the "US Space Surveillance Network", better start at the root link www.stratcom.mil... or look somewhere else?

PS: I can recommend IrfanView to do all the basic graphic works like resizing, cropping, batch conversion, etc. It's a cool little program for free ...
Hope this helps! & And you find your piece/peace of mind!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by guard

Lol, thanks for the info and support.

I'm pretty much done with it.
I thought it would be interesting to discuss and to find out what it was.
But i really don't have the time or the inclination to really go all out to find out what it was.
Probably was a nebula or some weird garbage or something entering the atmosphere...... who cares right??

Man is fine.... i don't say man as in man or woman, just an expression or a term.
It is not gender-orientated and i often call my G/F man, she doesn't mind.
I'm sorry if you thought i was calling you a man lol.... i can assure you i wasn't.

Cheers for your help dude or dudette man or woman.....lol

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

lol again
... You don't worry, man!

I (as a SPACE JUNKie) just came around this: www.space.com...

When these objects fall back into Earth's atmosphere, which they inevitably do, they behave just like any other meteor, lighting up the sky.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by guard

Well that's garbage...lol....no really, that article was about garbage/debris

Thanks again for the help.
I'm more inclined to think along these lines now, not that i ever thought it was aliens or flying saucers, because i didn't see it in flight.
I'm still waiting for it not to be cloudy but i'm not holding my breath....this is England we're talking about

Cheers for your comments and humour

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thanks again ... blupblup!
You are a 'good' one
(btw did you know that 'bad' is the german word for 'bath'?

Can't help but your name constantly reminds me about that :lol

Well, so much *lol*
and fascination bc of that ...

(just cropped, no resize)

But staying with the garbage theory and after further reading here ...
en.wikipedia.org... ... about space garbage/debris

Have a look at the end ... they write about:
'Significant debris-creation events' & ''

It seems there is a lot more out there to come
'down to earth' !

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by guard

nicht wusste ich das nicht, blup blup ist einem Bad ähnlich??

No, i know what you mean...like a goldfish underwater also

I will check the new info, thanks man!!

Blup

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

goldfish under water ... or the bablefish in the ear ... or the guard in the ocean of words on ATS

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by guard

"bablefish in the ear"

Douglas adams...you the man!!

Nice one ...

hey, was my German OK?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by guard

"bablefish in the ear"

Douglas adams...you the man!!

Nice one ...

hey, was my German OK?

You made my day DUDE, lol, ... no just kidding ... you have a G/F
(never seen that term btw ... 'G divided by F' ... lol but I know what it means
)
concerning your German ... yes I did understand you ... it was OK

but better would be: ich wusste nicht dass, ...

I am still impressed about you, this thread ... all the good vibes coming here on ATS ... and some people understand each other so well even though they come from all over the outer spaces
Teamwork is trumps

Keep your heartS and mindS open!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join