It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Factory Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The irony is that the origin of labor day was to commemorate the unionization and protection of workers who were, primarily, immigrants.

So, when I hear cries of "Damn immigrants are messing with my labor day" it seems a bit ludicrous.

You can boycott Tyson all you want - it doesn't change the fact that they were trying to accommodate the majority of their workforce with this decision. Doing right by the workers is in the spirit of Labor Day, wouldn't you say?

All this foaming at the mouth about the degradation of American culture strikes me as pretty silly. We don't actually have much of a culture - we stole everything from other countries and sort of cobbled it together into something vaguely resembling a culture.

Did the Irish stop being Irish when they came to America? Nope. Assimilated, what does that mean? Pass on the stout and the corned beef in favor of crappy lager and hot dogs? My family didn't and, now that I think about it, none of the Irish I know changed their habits, beliefs, or practices when they came to this country.

The Chinese didn't stop being Chinese, the Italians didn't stop being Italians - and the Somalians aren't going to stop being Somalian.

Just give it a rest already...

In society, as in nature, diversity is the key to long-term survival.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

If more than half the plant is Muslim, it seems like simple good business sense.

Would you be complaining if a company that had a plant with more than 50% of its workers being Jewish gave Yom Kippur as a holiday, or is it only when it's Muslims involved that it bugs you?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why didn't they add a Muslim Holiday why take away what is a major traditional Holiday like Thanks giving

I mean it's not like these people are paid much in salary .
what would it do to the bottom line for Tyson if they added 1 day off extra?
It smells funny
It isn't a question of giving Muslim Holidays out it's more a question of why take away Thanksgiving !

ask Americans if they want a Muslim holiday off extra each year 99.9999%
will say sure.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by solo1]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Read the facts...greater then 50% of American Muslims believe its their duty to end the devil America and kill all infidels.

OMG, they've got access to our chicken! Run for your lives!

Are you friggin' serious? That has got to be some of the most blatant fear-mongering and outright BS I've ever read on this site, and that's really saying something.

American muslims are the most moderate in the world - they are your neighbors, not your enemy. The sooner you realize that, the better things will be, and you won't have to sleep with the light on anymore, because you'll see that the boogeyman was in your head all along.

www.usatoday.com...

www.hamilton.edu...

I'd love to see where you got your 50%+ figure.

The muslims I've known were fully assimilated, and they were the most moderate of the moderates. They came to America for a better life for themselves and their families, and they mean to achieve that through hard work and patience, even in the face of attitudes like yours.

The vast majority of American Muslims are no more dangerous or bloodthirsty than American Catholics or American Jews.

But if you want to alienate them, persecute them, and force them to choose sides, well you'll get just what you deserve. It's just that I don't need you making enemies for me, okay? Make your own damn enemies, and leave me and my friends alone - don't presume to speak for this country, or your countrymen.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by WyrdeOne]

link   

Originally posted by xmotex

If more than half the plant is Muslim, it seems like simple good business sense.

Would you be complaining if a company that had a plant with more than 50% of its workers being Jewish gave Yom Kippur as a holiday, or is it only when it's Muslims involved that it bugs you?

You bet I'd be complaining - if they took away another traditional U.S. holiday to do it.

BTW, you're not trying to deflect this into a Jewish issue are you?

link   
The real question is what precentage of the plants employees are Muslim? If they are in the majority then it makes sense to accomadate them, just like you would if they were Jewish or Hindu or what not.... if on the other hand they are a small minority, then yes something is wrong with that.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
... just like you would if they were Jewish or Hindu or what not....

See above. I am not in favor of substituting minority religious holidays for traditional (secular or religious) U.S. holidays, even "if they were Jewish or Hindu or what not".

As another poster seems to suggest, if Tyson wants these workers so bad (over their traditional employee base) why not accomodate them with additional time off while still keeping the U.S. holidays?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Interesting this means that Tyson in that state has majority of muslin workers been foreigners or American muslin.

Here in GA Tyson employ mostly immigrant Spanish workers, actually that is actually what they only employ for what I can tell and see.

I guess nobody wants to deal with chicken but foreigners.

We need to invade Tyson factory for been friendly to foreigners they are traitors.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

America wasn't founded on the principle of majority rule. It doesn't matter what the plant is made up of. This isn't mob-rule. To disregard Labor Day at one place is to start a scary precedent. Do you have any idea how important precedent is in the legal system? Now that there is precedent, Muslims have reasons to sue Locals EVERYWHERE for not doing the exact same thing. You clearly don't know how the system works. This is the plan of Muslims - use our own cowardly, appeasing legal system against us - and they are winning. Apparently, you don't mind losing your rights. You must be an Obama cult follower. Any patriotic American should be APPALLED by this.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by ChocoTaco369]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Here in GA Tyson employ mostly immigrant Spanish workers, actually that is actually what they only employ for what I can tell and see.

But in Georgia, is there a move to replace let's say Memorial Day with Cinco de Mayo at the Tyson plants? That would be the equivalent.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Simply pointing out that if a company had done the same for it's Jewish workers, it wouldn't be an issue. Or if it was Christians trying to get a Christmas holiday.

It's a private company - they can give their employees whatever holidays they want as long as they're not violating any labor laws, which they apparently aren't.

Seeing as how the employees lobbied for it, and the company went with it, I don't really see what the problem is beyond a "OMG Islam is scary!!" kneejerk reaction.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ChocoTaco369

Uhm..I think he was saying half the PLANT is muslim, not half the PLANET.

Just thought you should know...

[edit] I guess you noticed your mistake and corrected it - well done. But then you went and added something about..Obama?!

I don't even want to know the perceived connection there...

[edit on 4-8-2008 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The decision will only apply to workers at the plant who are union members. All other employees at the plant will still have their normal Labor Day holiday.

This kinda ends the argument. They did not lose anything. The decision was a union contract decision, affecting only members.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy

The decision will only apply to workers at the plant who are union members. All other employees at the plant will still have their normal Labor Day holiday.

This kinda ends the argument. They did not lose anything. The decision was a union contract decision, affecting only members.

So, what about the Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. that are part of the Union and aren't Muslim? Why does a 40 year old white guy need to get off for some religious holiday he can't even pronounce and has to work Labor Day, a nationally recognized holiday, while the rest of his true American family has a BBQ?

Hate to break it to you, but these 700 Muslims aren't Americans. They are just Muslims living in America. That's the different between immigrants today and immigrants of the past. Immigrants used to become Americans. Most immigrants today, legal or illegal, are just immigrants living in America. They can't speak English, they want you to cater to them and they refuse to assimilate. Past immigrants made America a better place. Today, the majority makes America a much worse place.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Simply pointing out that if a company had done the same for it's Jewish workers, it wouldn't be an issue. Or if it was Christians trying to get a Christmas holiday.

I think that what you said here is at best a "truism", if not actually false - and I believe you already know that and thus are being disingenuous.

Of course you could always show some examples of U.S. companies switching traditional U.S. holidays for Jewish, Hindu, or other's holidays and, if these examples exist, how no one complained about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369

Hate to break it to you, but these 700 Muslims aren't Americans. They are just Muslims living in America.

And, of course, it would be up to the Americans (not the muslims) if they don't like the situation to have to quit and find some other job in a less than great economy.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

So, because the union decides to cater to a bunch of people they have no business catering to, the real Americans have to quit their job? How does that work? While we're at it, why don't we just fire all the workers for illegal immigrants and pay them under the table? Why don't we just complete the cycle and burn the American Flag afterwards, too? Sound fun? Do you honestly hear the words coming out of your mouth?

You just figured out another great way of sending the Constitution through the paper shredder. Take away the rights of Americans for groups of people that have no interest in becoming American, then you FORCE the real Americans to accept someone else's religion through fear of a rough economy that will leave them jobless and homeless. The situation spreads like wildfire, and eventually, the real Americans will slowly become brainwashed into accepting the other religion. Over decades, America becomes a Muslim nation through fear and brainwashing. Great idea!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I think that what you said here is at best a "truism", if not actually false - and I believe you already know that and thus are being disingenuous.

I'm not even being remotely disingenuous, look in the mirror if you want to find disingenuousness...

I know you and I know your posting history.
And I know damn well you have an axe to grind with Muslims, and that you wouldn't be posting about this if any other religion were involved.

You're hiding behind a claim of principle, but it's clearly not something you actually care about, what you care about is stirring up fear that the Muslims are "taking over"

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Diversity is crap! Diversity is what is killing this country. Tolerance and respect for anothers beliefs are very American traits, but having very American traditions usurped in favor of molly-coddling a bunch of immigrants is very UN-American!

There are literally hundreds of religious holidays when you consider the scope of all major and minor religions - should we begin to find ways to give everyone all of their holy days off from work. Oh wait, we do - It's called VACATION! And for you bleeding heart liberals (read as: the cause of this malaise!), Christmas, although a religious holiday to Christians is a PAGAN HOLIDAY celebrated by many athesists and agnostics - so let's not go there!

This is unprecented! If you cannot see what is wrong with this then you are likely a contributing cause to what is wrong with this country - rampant diversification is a scourge. If you disagree, I welcome you to provide us with one concrete example of a long-standing culture that went through such diversification without assimilation successfully.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Last I checked, membership in the union is voluntary. If the plant employs both union and non-union employees, then there must be some way for the good all-American white Christian union members to renounce their union membership and continue their employment with the company.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the paranoia y'all exhibit over this issue - and I'm a pretty paranoid guy by all accounts.

"First they came for labor day, and then they came for our dogs, and what's next - god-fearing white women being made to wear head scarves?"

For someone who obviously has some grasp of the logical fallacies, you sure do exhibit a major case of fallacious reasoning - confusing cause and effect, division, appeal to fear, spotlight, slippery slope, etc.

If you really are interested in making a valid argument on this topic, and you feel capable of quoting the fallacies to others, I think you need to go back to the textbook and re-examine your position in light of what I've just said. Seriously...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join