It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands laid off in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Thousands laid off in California

news.bbc.co.uk

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has moved to end a budget crisis by sacking 22,000 state workers and ordering pay cuts for 200,000.

The most populous state in the US faces a budget deficit of more than $15bn (£7.6bn), and legislators are struggling to agree a spending plan.

The cuts, which will save $100m a month, are designed to put pressure on politicians to end the budget crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Just wonder what will happen if 200.000 state workers in California go on the streets and/or strike?

Terminator's (Arnold Schwarzenegger's) comment is a little bit .. well:

"If that's what it takes. I'm here to make sure that our state functions, and whatever it takes, I will do it."

Some word's ticking in your brain after reading this quote?
Time will tell.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Yet another reason to expect a Democratic governor next time around.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Nice!

What about Hollywood???

There's so much money overflowing through all these high paid Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeons and super mega over-paid Hollywood stars, if he's willing to do whatever it takes, why not skim the fat off of the fat cats?

Ohhhhh wait I see! He IS one of the fat cats!

When Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor, I knew this country was sinking fast.

Didn't he say something a while back to the effect of "I've always wondered what it would be like to be a dictator."

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
... why not skim the fat off of the fat cats?

Exactly - that would be the right thing to do. Wasn't California the richest state in the US? Just adjust a little the income tax for richer people and you have even more money. I don't understand why the poor people have to be poorer - but as you said, he is a fat (Austrian) cat

Btw, it's just funny how he talks, just listened to the interview on BBC - why didn't he at least learn to speak normal English after so many years in the US. Whatever/

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

" I didn't think about money. I thought about the fame, about just being the greatest. I was dreaming about being some dictator of a country or some savior like Jesus . . ."

Thats what he said.

Arnie link

The guys a bloody danger to you all, and the world. We need a time travelling terminator to come unstick him from his grubby plans.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Yes, because we all know just what a wonderful job Gray Davis did dealing with the dot com colapse and subsequent crumbling apart of California's credit rating and deficit.
Face a fact, it wouldn't matter who the governor was or what party he belonged to, either California is going to have to dramatically cut spending, increase taxes, or just continue along Davis' road of spend, spend, spend, and let the next generation deal with the repercusions.

Schwartzenegger's done an OK job economically speaking. Had he done what their liberal legislature wanted and jacked up taxes on the upper tax bracket, those folks would have packed up and moved to another state (probably Washington, Texas, or Florida.) Arnold currently has an aproval rating anyone in Washington DC would kill for (though these moves the liberal state legislature is forcing him to make may chip away at that somewhat.) Politically speaking, he's about as liberal as a "Republican" can be and it amazes me that so many people on the left tear into him based solely on the little 'R' next to his name, as he supports 90% of what his loudest critics stand for (environmental laws, social reform, corporate responsibillity)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This may not be a popular opinion, but here goes...

I think ever elected official in this country should cut back on the massive number of goverment employee's. (along with a bunch of other wasteful expenses that every goverment entity has on it's books)

Then again, I live in NY state where 1 out of every 8 employeed residents are goverment employees. A wee bit much IMO.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by absente

Terminator's (Arnold Schwarzenegger's) comment is a little bit .. well:

This is the way the states run. Don't worry about the workers.

They'll be back!

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

well the only way to do that would be privatization of government institutions, company's etc - but then you will have those kids cry "aaa you're bad, you're selling out the US" - no way out.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
When Arnie (my "boss", by the way) became the Governor of California, he said that he would "blow up the boxes" that represented what he believed was the bureaucracy that burdens the State.

Well, he just might have blown up the box Pandora regreted opening so long ago.

If a budget is not passed very soon, Schwarznegger may be remembered for having single-handedly done what no earthquake, fire, flood, or war has ever done...

Bring the Great State of California to its knees in a Dead Stop!

The state employees, at $6.55 @ hour, LESS than the State's mandated minimum wage, now have even less to keep them from striking, en mass: bringing the operations of the State to a screaching halt.

And THAT action, if incited, would be felt across the entire nation.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

" I didn't think about money. I thought about the fame, about just being the greatest. I was dreaming about being some dictator of a country or some savior like Jesus . . ."

Thats what he said.

Arnie link

The guys a bloody danger to you all, and the world. We need a time travelling terminator to come unstick him from his grubby plans.

As long as he is the Jesus the Dictator its a pleasant dream for him
if only the American people knew what reality was

as the woman fondle over him and get his autograph as the band strikes up a marching tune. He is looked on as the one we put on the pedestal

When reality is that he is the servant of the people he works for you and
follows your commands or he is garbage and a useless expense

Americans have it arse end backwards they treat their politicians like gods
instead of servants.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Good for Arnold...

He should Cut MUCH MORE FAT off the budget....

Liberal Finances have doomed California into Debt...

Only a true conservative govenor can save california from this Debt we have...

California needs to stop electing liberal politicans...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
When Arnie (my "boss", by the way) became the Governor of California, he said that he would "blow up the boxes" that represented what he believed was the bureaucracy that burdens the State.

Well, he just might have blown up the box Pandora regreted opening so long ago.

If a budget is not passed very soon, Schwarznegger may be remembered for having single-handedly done what no earthquake, fire, flood, or war has ever done...

Bring the Great State of California to its knees in a Dead Stop!

The state employees, at $6.55 @ hour, LESS than the State's mandated minimum wage, now have even less to keep them from striking, en mass: bringing the operations of the State to a screaching halt.

And THAT action, if incited, would be felt across the entire nation.

6.55an hour?
how you suppose to live on that?
why is his salary so much larger
fundamnetal questions that never get answered so they only compound

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by absente

I honestly don't think many of these positions are needed for the goverment to function properly & by making the cuts wisely, it would have very little impact on the day to day operations.

(Now I'm off to bed LOL)

top topics

join