It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A reflection thread...Wow.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure when or why it finally hit me, but the other day I suddenly realized that, wow, I really have changed tremendously over the past couple of years, and I didn't even realize it was happening. It happens so slowly, I guess, that to me it feels like I'm the same person I was two years ago, but in reality if I were to meet the person I was, we really would be two different people. Even my demeanor has changed quite a bit. So, naturally in the midst of this startling realization, I thought it would be fun to start a thread about it. How about you guys? How much have you changed in the past few years? Obviously, since I'm only 21, a few years is still a somewhat significant portion of my life. So, if you'd rather think back 10 years, 5 years, 1 year, or even a few months, feel free. How much have you changed?

In the past 2 or 3 years. But mostly within the last 1 or 2.

I'll start. My views on politics have changed, but not nearly as much as my views on religion. My goals for the future have changed. My views on morality have changed. My views on the meaning of life in general have changed. I'm much harder working. I'm more serious. I'm a lot less open. I'm a lot less trusting. I have a different job. I go to a different school. I'm more knowledgeable about important things. I have a much wider variety as far as tastes in music are concerned. I'm a better guitarist, and I'm not afraid to...attempt to sing. I'm in better shape physically. I have more friends. I've been in love, and had my heart broken. I've felt sadness so dark that it made me wish I didn't exist anymore. In getting through that, I'm stronger. I drive a different car. I live in a different house. I have new hobbies. I care less about what people think of me. I'm less awkward. I respect myself more. I've had friends move away, and relatives die. I've been out of the country.

And that's nothing compared to a lot of other people. How about you?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
for sure
I have learned so much from this place, its a second home, school, work place and everything.

I have grown in knowledge and etiquette, most of all honed my love for writing and being able to think and get out correctly and effectively truth from my head and not just mumbled responses. It is great to be able to serve people on ATS I love it.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

I agree. I am different than I was 2 years ago. It's easy for someone to stumble across ATS and see one goofy thread like "Hilary is a Reptilian" and label the whole site as bogus. For those of us who have stuck around awhile, we know that is not the case. There are many great members possessing not only great intelligence but the ability to present their intelligent ideas in a pleasing, easy to follow manner. I have enjoyed reading and conversing with people whom I don't even agree with.

As far as change in regards to your life outside ATS... well as you mentioned a lot will change in your 20s. People I thought were my best friends at 21 were not (or barely) in my life when I hit 30. You meet new people, work new jobs, visit new things, etc... all of which amount to new experiences which shape who you are. When I was 21 there was no ATS... or perhaps it was still in the womb. ATS is a hobby I have developed in the last couple of years and I have no regrets.

new topics

join