It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popcorn Fumes are Coming to Get You! The EPA studies....vapors from popcorn bags?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
EPA studying vapors from popcorn bags
Chemicals linked to rare lung disease
Associated Press

The Environmental Protection Agency is studying the chemicals released into the air when a bag of microwave popcorn is popped or opened.

Exposure to vapors from butter flavoring in microwave popcorn has been linked to a rare lung disease

The EPA study began last fall and will be completed this year.

www.chron.com...

the exact same article, but expanded:

"Obviously, we are looking at diacetyl because it is a known compound that will come off this popcorn. But we're not looking at that alone," Rosati said.
Investigators believe the chemical becomes hazardous when it is heated and there is repeated exposure to large quantities over a long time.

Thirty former workers at the Jasper plant have suing two butter flavoring manufacturers.

United States consumers bought $1.33 billion worth of microwave popcorn in 2000, said Ann Wilkes, spokeswoman for the Snack Food Association.

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

ok and the same article is on Fox Top News, Greenwich news, and countless other news sources.

but it sounds more like a 3rd graders science fair project! i find it faily suspicious that the EPA would spend a years worth of tiem and MONEY (which has always been a priority higher than safety, of course) to study...popcorn fumes????

theres got to be alot more to this then they are letting us in on.

or theyre running out of ideas.

and what a lawsuit!:
person 1- "im going to court!"
person 2- "who are you suing?"
person 1- "the butter flavoring company, of course!"
person 2- "DARN YOU POP SECRET!"

all i can say is

[Edited on 3-12-04 by Scat]

[Edited on 3-13-04 by Scat]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
wow. that's about the last thing I'd have expected to be dangerous. not to mention, who woke up one morning and thought "POPCORN FUMES! it's killing us all!"? weirdness.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
wow. that's about the last thing I'd have expected to be dangerous. not to mention, who woke up one morning and thought "POPCORN FUMES! it's killing us all!"? weirdness.

HAHHAHAHHAHHHAH!

im gonna run around school with flyers saying that popcorn is killing us all, and the next time i go to the movie theater, im totally gonna break down in the middle of the theater and scream "POPCORN FUMES! AHHHHHH!!!!!"

nice

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I knew it! Those popcorn fumes make me gag.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion

do they really?
or is this just an expression?

i feel kinda weird...seeing how i always loved the smell and would always shove my face ito the bag after pulling it out of the microwave...kinda like i was getting high off of popcorn fumes......hmmm.....parents have a new item to add to their danger lists;

1. spray paint
2. sharpies
3. rubber cement
4. popcorn fumes

pretty soon, instead of seeing kids on the stree corner smokin a j...youll see em eating popcorn, and the adults in cars will be saying "darn kids, ruining their lives with popcorn!"

the new turth adds-

i just did it for fun!
i didnt know!
peer pressure, the jumbo bucket just looked so easy...

"never thought itd be you? 1 million kajillion teens eat popcorn everyday and die....TRUTH"

OK!!!!!!! im so sorry....i got carried away and now im going crazy

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion

do they really?
or is this just an expression?

No, theyre strong and make me feel sick sometimes.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
crazy! i told my friend about the fumes thing yesterday, so we popped some popcorn and we shoved our heads in the bag right after we got it out of the mocrowave and we started coughing and everything! it was burnt and we're both gonna die of cancer now

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I remember reading about the workers at the plant being diagnosed and it being linked to the popcorn fumes. They do smell kind of weird when you take them out of the microwave.
I still use my popcorn popper, though. It's old, but it works good! And even better now, lol, no fumes from the 'butter flavoring'. Only real butter.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i dont have a fireplace....or a popcorn popper......or a stove.......

hahahahha so im stuck with a miocrowave and lung cancer!

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Some guy got a very bad case of some lung disease. That vapor, its not even from butter. Its not real butter they use. Chemicals...

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I always did think there was something funny about that odor...... its good to see my hard earned tax dollars at work.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by groovyguru
I always did think there was something funny about that odor...... its good to see my hard earned tax dollars at work.

hahahahhahah! Nice

that does bring up a question though....we're seriously paying money for THIS??

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well, if you read the thread on how dangerous microwaves are a few weeks back, you'd really feel screwed. Place your bag of popcorn on a polystyrene plate and your talking triple threat action!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Isn't that a b*tch!
Its seems that everything these days can kill you!
I would'nt worry about something like popcorn, I mean how many people eat popcorn enough to get a lung disease?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
crazy! i told my friend about the fumes thing yesterday, so we popped some popcorn and we shoved our heads in the bag right after we got it out of the mocrowave and we started coughing and everything! it was burnt and we're both gonna die of cancer now

Your gonna die of cancer? Ha
Yeah, well that sucks.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
popcorn bags?

Add another one to the list of stuff you have in your house that can kill you.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
28feb04 Microwave Popcorn

also yesterday

www.usatoday.com...

the IFF
www.iff.com...

Just how many aerosols have this chemical.

ED:
bronchiolitis obliterans

[edit on 9/6/2007 by TeslaandLyne]

new topics

top topics

join