It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commander of Discovery says life alien life exists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
There's life in space, says someone who's been there Tue Jul 29, 6:44 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - The U.S. commander of space shuttle Discovery believes life probably exists somewhere in outer space, but there is a simple reason why aliens have not visited earth -- the journey is too tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have seen some evidence that there is a possibility of some life on Mars in the past, so there is probably life all over the universe," astronaut Mark Kelly told a news conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, where he was joined by other members of the Discovery crew.

"From our experience, it is very difficult to travel through space, and I personally think aliens have not visited our planet."

The Discovery delivered Japan's Kibo orbital laboratory to the International Space Station in June. Kelly described the $1 billion, 32-ton module as a "Lexus of a space station" where everything worked perfectly.

"Certainly like a Japanese car, Kibo was very well-made," he said. "It is going to be the premier laboratory of the space station for many years to come."

Japan, the last of the 16-nation partnership to get its hardware in space, is expected to complete the three-part lab next year.

Japanese astronaut Akihiko Hoshide -- whose name means "Go to the stars" -- was part of the eight-member team.

"Fourteen days was a short time," Hoshide told the same news conference. "I wish I could have stayed longer."

During their mission, the crew successfully conducted three spacewalks to hook up the new lab, work on the station's cooling system and fix a problem that was hampering a pair of solar wing panels from tracking the sun for power.

Back on earth, some are more interested in the possible existence of alien life than the lab's scientific experiments.

Kelly's comments add to a lively Japanese debate over aliens and UFOs. Japanese politicians discussed the possible existence of flying saucers late last year after an opposition lawmaker brought up the topic in parliament. Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said he personally believed in UFOs, but Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda was more cautious, saying their existence had yet to be confirmed. (Reporting by Naoto Okamura; editing by Sophie Hardach)

Disclosure continues in dribs and drabs. The astronaut amazingly enough says ancient civilizations existed on Mars.

[edit on 7/29/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The remark regarding signs of ancient civilizations on Mars is most stunning to me.
The remark saying they have never visited Earth is disinfo. Like they can travel to Mars but not one more planet inside the solar system? Farfetched.

I believe many of us have known all along they aren't throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at that planet for no reason.

I consider this validation.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sounds good, just adding the the long list of prominent people saying that ETs can exist. However, they still base their belief that aliens have not visited the Earth on our current understanding of physics (which is probably extremely primitive)

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

There article stated he believes life exists. So do many others. I don't see this as a disclosure fact.

The U.S. commander of space shuttle Discovery believes life probably exists somewhere in outer space, but there is a simple reason why aliens have not visited earth -- the journey is too tough.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Yes, it's important to actually read at least the first paragraph the article. He says that aliens have not visited Earth.

So let's start the posts about how Mark Kelly is "part of the cover-up" since he works for NASA.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
When was the last time you heard a space shuttle commander say there are signs of life on Mars?
Of course he won't say there are ruins. He's somewhat tethered. But if you read between the lines of the two topics that was my interpretation.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
The remark regarding signs of ancient civilizations on Mars is most stunning to me.
The remark saying they have never visited Earth is disinfo. Like they can travel to Mars but not one more planet inside the solar system? Farfetched.

I believe many of us have known all along they aren't throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at that planet for no reason.

He doesn't mention ancient civilizations he mentions "possibility of some life on Mars in the past". I think he's on about microbial life so his comment about traveling through space is not contradictory.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
TO the OP,
I read it like this...
"I have seen evidence that some life possibly lived on mars at some time."
I however, didn't read "I have seen evidence that an ancient civilization once existed on mars."

Just thought I would help ya' out on that interpretation of his statements.

Vance

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ok I embellished without proper data. That rigatonni kept me up all last night. May not be firing on all cylinders today

Something just tells me he wasn't talking about single cell parameciums unable to make the trip to Earth but more advanced beings.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602

Talking about disinfo, how did you manage to turn "We have seen some evidence that there is a possibility of some life on Mars in the past", which for someone like me means "water", into "signs of ancient civilizations on Mars"?

[edit on 29-7-2008 by BlueEyes]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I bare my throat. Flame away. I'm quite sure I deserve it.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yes, yes. In the excitement and desire for "disclosure," it's far too easy to read too much into these statements. Just because an astronaut personally thinks that there possibly might be aliens out there, and that life may have existed at one time on Mars is not a government official declaring that intelligent aliens exist and once had Mars bases.

Come on, people. This is ridiculous. Just calm down and read what these folks are saying, and try to understand the difference between somebody offering a personal opinion and someone officially declaring something to be fact (and presenting evidence, which nobody is doing).

Gee whiz.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I've no doubt this has something to do with the fuss Edgar Mitchell created the other week its probably just NASA trying to do a bit of repair work!

If they get one of there more recent astronauts to come out with a statement that he believes that no ET's have visited our planet then I guess that kinda balances things out if you get my meaning!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is old news, even though the title of the topic is slightly sensational to get more 'looks' but I digress..

Its kinda silly he thinks the journey would be too 'tough' Why is he thinking so conventionally? Sure its tough if you use rocket engines..but surely a civilisation thousands/millions of years ahead of us, with a completely different understanding of physics wouldn't have found other ways to get around the vast universe? COME ON..how arrogant to even assume they are stuck on a fossil fuel system like us.

MEH

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Commander Collins on STS-93.......'Mission control we have a white orb in close proximity to shuttle do you have anything on radar?'

Long pause. 'Swamp gas Eileen'.

new topics

top topics

join