It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Masked Vigilantes Work In Our Society?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I agree with PeaceUK in the fact that masked vigilantes could work. There may be many technicalities and it would start off rough but I think they would work. Now someone just has to get up the guts to do it.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BladePaw

ok - how are you going to deal with the fallout ?

what if a " masked vigelante " decides to ` deal with ` someone for :

being a 'n-word' ?

or

being a homosexual ?

leaving a corpse in thier wake

where is the due process and right of appeal in your vigelante ` utopia ` ?

when anonymous faceles individuals can decide unilartally what is a crime and what the punishment should be - you have no justice

if you diagree with anything i wrote above - please tell me how you propose to have accontability and a right of appeal from vigelante " justice "

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Touche.
However even if we did have vigilantes there would be no utopia. There wasnt a utopia in the fictional comic books. And I believe we already have masked vigilantes that do the things you mentioned, the Ku Klux Klan.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

OH HELL YEAH!! I wanna see the vigilantes make those guys cry! I hate the punks around my town too...they threw quarters,and tried to start somethin with my friend.They shall pay...I wish there WERE vigilantes...and if you want to do somethin about it,find your own way!You could be a vigilante!I'm not sayin that it would be right,or that it'll be easy...but you can try,and don't make the cops look too bad...or they'll be pissed.You know how it is.Take some classes in martial arts,and train,and practice everyday...you might be sore for awhile...but it'll be worth it in the end!Trust me...It will once you get back at all tose scumbags who did a crime,or harrassed someone you care about...just let you're passion drive you to succes!Hope this helped...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
the instant

and i mean the very instant

i hear of a costumed vigilante in my home state

i am abandoning my career and becoming a full-time masked supervillain.

LIVE THE DREAM!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We need a real life Rorschach character
to wipe out all the paedophiles imho!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Elmer_Dinkley

A rorscarch would be awesome, but I think we need more of a character we can believe in. Someone who the public can trust and back all the way.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

Sure they can work. What's your name going to be and what do you have in mind for a costume?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Dude what world do you live in? This vigilante kung fu thing could never work because the government will not allow it. And if it were to endorse it and allow it, then it will be called the police. Seriously, if the government wanted to cut crime it would "make the police super high tech and go all kung fu on creepy guys". But the fact is to keep the populace in constant fear they let the small fish swim on purpose (and everyone is small fish compared to the gov LOL). That's why the police does not do a good job at policing the states.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

whats happening 2012? do you finaly become super? can you protect my neighborhood if i pay you?? how about 8 bucks an hour? yeah? sound good?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I don't think it's a workable concept; I mean, a lot of people here have issues with the regular police. I don't think making a second police force, only anonymous and unaccountable is a good idea. After all, everyone's only human.

(furthermore, without superhuman powers, I question what such a force could do that police cannot. I suppose the answer is that they could more easily conduct illegal search and seizure and such. I guess they could dress up in military grade body armor instead of police grade, but that doesn't really guarantee anything.)

I would like to see an increase in competent, prepared private citizens, though. It might be nice to teach people about citizen's arrest in school, and to ease the more ridiculous anti-gun laws (while I don't think fully automatic firearms are something that should be easily bought and sold by regular citizens, restricting the ownership of guns with pistol grips, black furniture, or magazines with capacities over 10 rounds is ridiculous).

That way, you could have more citizens standing up to criminals, yet not have to worry about a lack of accountability.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'd say go for it. Get in great physical shape working out in a gym 6 hours a day. Take a variety of martial arts courses and criminology courses. Buy all the latest high tech sureveillance equipment for monitoring converstions, phone calls, emails.

If you're planning on going out on a nightly patrol, a costume that will strike fear into the hearts of criminals might be an idea. Make sure it's kevlar lined - you'll get shot at.

Are you ugoing to limit yourself to small syuff like robberies and break-ins?

Better pickings with drug dealers, child prostitution rings, immigrant smuggling, extortionists, etc.

For practice start at your nearest crack house and see how it goes.

Keep us informed.

M

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i am thinking of becoming a vigilante.. i have tried it a few times.

the first time i tried things head on... beleive me i wish i never.. i was so battered and i consider my self lucky to have another try.

i am highly trained in boxing, muay thai and Ninjtusu

so this time i decided to go with the Ninjutsu side of things and use gurila warfare.. i worked alot better. used it for a meth house in my neighbour hood. two smoke bombs through the window and went in with my katana.. i kept the sheath on.. just wanted them to learn a lesson. i have a kevlar chest peice.. which i painted a bullseye on to it, in the attempt to draw there attention to my armour, much in the same way the punisher and batman do this.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm more surprised that it HASN'T happened yet. I mean what the hell? You'd think there would be someone running around in a mask, trying to beat up criminals in this crazy world. It's strange that there haven't been any reports since spring heeled jack... and he wasn't really a do gooder.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

They already exist! Find one in your area today:

World Superhero Registry

I've read a couple of articles on them, including interviews and they do indeed live the life. I believe there was even a documentary shown here in the UK - no idea what it was called though.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
For starters, I wanted to say, I have a strong admiration for SHJ, not for the acts he performed but for the skill and ingenuity he portrayed.

Vigilanteism(SP?) Works in theory, but never in practice, as has been established through out history. The real issue in dealing crime is to empower the people, not just to take action and be accountable for it, but to feel responsible for the welfare of everyone.

Good Luck, but try anyways, I do.

To be a real, and successful, Masked vigilante, no only would you have to be familiar with combat and infiltration strategies, but also have an excellant knowledge of the law, forensic investigation, the city in which you act, where you can go, escape, hide, every nook and cranny. Knowledge in technology, electronics, computer science, mechanics, chemistry, psychology,weaponry ( for disarming or thwarting) and you must be up to date on current issues, news, laws, police procedures, governemnt procedures, and you will never have friends, or fall in love, for fear of losing said loved ones. You must be willing to sacrifice everytihng you loved and enjoyed to devote your life to such a calling.

Good luck ;-)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

It might work if these vigilantes aren't motivated, by money, lust, power and fame. Any one of those and I assure you, this thing comes crumbling down so fast..

Technology isn't needed. You only need to know how to manipulate the life force, then you can do things that are stuff of fiction or legends

Learning to manipulate the life force involves a life of discipline, and self-denial. I know this isn't easy. But if you care enough for others, these things will be easy to do.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Masked Vigilante = Masked Villans.

It was said best in Batman Begins

"We start Carying semi automatics, they start carying grenade launcehers, we start wearing masks . . .where does it end"

That may not be the exact quote but it comes close.

Other things to consider.

The vigilante's will always be looking over their shoulders hoping no one has discovered their identity and has to constantly watch over their loved ones too for this reason. People wanting to get back at these masked vigilantes wont necesarily go streight for them, once they learn the identity, they will go after loved ones to use as leverage to make the vigilante work for them, or just to punish them.

When you don a mask and take justice in your own hands, you are not just endangering yourself, but possibly anytone that knows you as well. Even with the mask on anyone that knowsyou with the mask on is likely a target as well. Even if you are a Loner with no family and friend (is their realy a need for a mask in this event??) anyone you have helped becomes a target.

When you have to testify in court, they will not let you wear the mask to give the testimony, without testimony the accused will more than likely go free, not to mention illeagal search and seisure on any evidence.

"I am not sure you have thought this plan through."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join