It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a Shame: Budweiser is a sellout

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
America on Sale

Anheuser-Busch (BUD) is not the first U.S. company to be swallowed by a foreign firm, and it certainly won't be the last. The announcement of Belgian brewer InBev's (INBVF) $52 billion buyout of Anheuser...

Sorry if this has already already been covered, I ran a search and found nothing pertaining to this.

This news is new to me, although it appears to be a week or so old. I had heard that Budweiser was offered a hefty sum by InBev, but I had no idea that it had gone through, according to this link it has... please let me know if I am wrong...

Anyways, IMHO this is a tragedy... One of the oldest companies we have, now sold to foriegn interests. Budweiser holds 50.9% of US beer sales, and now we are exporting that.

Budweiser Market Share

Seriously... this blows my mind that this type of thing happens. How much profit will be transfered from the US to overseas because fo this? How much in taxes does the US lose in this deal? I can't even begin to think all the impacts this will make...

I know 1 impact... I will never buy Budweiser as long as it is foriegn owned.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Miller SAB is owned by White South Africans. So the only major brewery left that is american is Coors and Sam Adams.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good, if anyone can make bud drinkable, its the beglians. Best *snip*brewers in the world the belgians.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/26/08 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by healthyhitter

Wow, this is hostility for what reason exactly? I don't drink nor do I care about Budweiser being sold, but I was curious as to what the story was, and saw the abusiveness your flaunting towards others on ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I brew my own beer and it's never been my opinion that Budweiser meets the criteria of 'beer'.

I can only hope the new owners have a better idea of what constitutes a good brew than the previous ones...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by healthyhitter

First off, I do not appreciate being called names, that was not needed.

Secondly, thanks for asking for my opinion on American interests overseas (sarcasm). We should have ended our oil obsession ages ago, and left the ME to their own devices. As for other overseas interests that America has, I feel that they to are a tragedy to, they only lead to outsourced jobs that take away from us. The profits from said ventures? I assure you the working man in the US doesnt see a dime of it, it all goes to corporations, and dirty politicians.

Once again I do not appreciate being called names, you should not convey such immaturity, it only looks bad on you.

Back on Topic
This angers me because I see it as yet another industry that will be outsourced, and more money being sent overseas. This is not about whether or not Budweiser was the greatest tasting beer ever made. Its about the exportation of American jobs and the related profits.

I once heard that all we(US) has left is beer and prostitution... We just lost our biggest beer producer, lets hope Coors and Sam Adams stick around for us...

[edit on 26-7-2008 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

I vow I will never purchase another product from anhueser busch. Period. I like liquor better anyway! LOL!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

I think it sucks, personally, from what I read though, they pretty much had no choice, the board was for the sale of course, money in their pockets. Greed over trumps even a long standing American tradition that is Budweiser

I drink Budlight too, I wonder if the recipe will change etc. At least it wasn't the Chinese buying it!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Now for the next Bud XMas commercials......will the cleidsdales be drawing a sleigh through Germany?

When Buffet put his billions in Euros a year before US market devaluation started I sensed trouble.
I always hated bud anyway. Maybe they can do something with the formula.

[edit on 7/27/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 7/27/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Didn't coors and Molson merge a year or so ago? That would make it a North American beer company not just a US one. That leaves only Sam Adams (which I like much better than bud, coors, or miller). I wonder how that will affect market share. One of the great things about the fall of the Iron Curtain is that Czech beer is available now.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
i wouldnt say budwieser brews bad brew. I dare you too drink Rolling rock which is an excellent light ale. One of the best imo.

As for Beer in General. If you want good beer, buy Yuengling or Sam Adams.
Skip the top shelf swamp water.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Yes, I agree Budweiser is not the best tasting beer in the world, but fact of the matter is that it controlled 50.9% of the market in America... That means that domestic beer is now the minority here... Am I the only one that this really bothers?

If our domestic beers cant even hold their ground here, what chance to our other industries stand?

[edit on 27-7-2008 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I can't believe anyone considers macrobrews like Budweiser to be worthy of ingestion. Micro/craft beers are the only way to go these days. Except for home brewers, these small breweries are the only guys making real beer today.

If a macrobrewery turned out a beer on the calibre of the craft brews, everyone in America would be an alcoholic. That's the difference in quality between something like Budweiser and, say, Dogfish Head.

All you Miller/Coors/Budweiser fans? You have no idea what you're missing. Desert! Do it now. There is better beer out there. Don't waste your hard-earned money on goat pee.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Probably the worse thing that happens when foreigners buy companies in another country is the workers usually get screwed because all the bigwigs don't really care about anything but the immediate bottom line and it's not necessarily that they want to save money - they just want to give their own families, friends, and people jobs.

I lost one of my best customers when they were bought out by a foreign owned company who replaced my company with their own people.

I had a ancquaintance who worked for Miller Beer all his life started in the warehouse, went to a truck driver, then some type of regional salesman. He was paid well had all the beer he could consume and had lots of perks such as Trips to Vegas for the Superbowls, other trips and premium seats to sports and concerts etc.. The guy would of retired with them, but when miller was bought he was demoted, replaced with someone they brought in from overseas and then eventually they let him go after over 20 years of service.

Expect the same to happen at Bud. Lost jobs is what it boils down to in the end.

[edit on 27-7-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

VLF, are you a cheesehead? I am. What's your take on Favre?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Americans should stop drinking that slop

if you must drink a beer
try Speckled HEN or Reichards red

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
If our domestic beers cant even hold their ground here, what chance to our other industries stand?

You ARE serious aren't you?

American beer should be ashamed to call itself beer.

I believe it was a "Bruce"(Eric Idle) who said, "American beer is like sex in a canoe, F'ing close to water."

Vas

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I agree VLF, its more jobs down the tube, more revenue gone, less taxes paid... by them I assure you the loss in taxes will be passed on to someone

Now all the money that Bud makes will be passed on to Europe... Nothing against Europe but I'd like my hard earned money to stay in the good ole US of A.

We loose 50% of the market share in an industry and no one seems to care...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth

Originally posted by XTexan

You ARE serious aren't you?

American beer should be ashamed to call itself beer.

I believe it was a "Bruce"(Eric Idle) who said, "American beer is like sex in a canoe, F'ing close to water."

Vas

Yes, I am serious, and like I have stated several times, this is not about what the best beer in the world is. It is about losing market share, money, and jobs...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join