It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very cool (no pun intended) Iceberg photo's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm sure some of you might have seen these photo's before but I thought I would post and share them for those who haven't yet.

"Icebergs in the Antarctic area sometimes have stripes, formed by layers of snow that react to different conditions.
Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet fills up with melt water and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.
When an iceberg falls into the sea, a layer of salty seawater can freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a green stripe.
Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up when the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the sea."

Now for the frozen wave pictures.
"The water froze the instant the wave broke through the ice and came into contact with the air. The water was already some degrees below freezing."

I find, for such a harsh environment, it creates such beauty. Truly amazing.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing these amazing photos. I grabbed some ! Love it!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

yeah these have been here before

awesome though

its amazing that the force of the glaciers popping up from underneath can look like that

I cant remember what the thread was closed

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Awesome pics, great post.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Wow! What amazing, beautiful images! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Here is also an interesting article about "singing" icebergs:

They travel from Antarctica to Tahiti, can sound like laughing monkeys, or barking dogs, and some were triggered by the December 2004 tsunami: they are the eerie songs made by some of Antarctica's largest icebergs.
The phenomenon occurs when the huge lumps of ice scrape past each other and produce thousands of tiny "icequakes". These are so similar to earthquakes, researchers say, that icebergs could help to better understand and predict tremors.
Massive tabular icebergs break off the Antarctic ice shelf about every 50 years. Soon after the last "calving" event in 2000, unusual harmonic tremors were picked up by underwater hydrophones as far as Tahiti.

Link to article with YouTube video where you can listen to the eerie sounds:
environment.newscientist.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Cool, singing Icebergs......probably better than half of the contestants trying out for Canadian Idol.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Very cool pictures, it really shows how amazing water can behave under the right conditions.

about your pun....go here:
nobody cares about your pun

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Very cool pictures indeed. The 1st and 4th pictures remind me of ice cream and now I want some.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yeah, its funny because I thought the same thing.

I can only imagine how awesome it would be to actually see a huge wave breaking through the ice and to watch it freeze almost instantly. Mother nature is pretty amazing.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wow great pics.

3rd from the last pic is the best i think truly amazing.

top topics

join