It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Hunter S. Thompson Leave us Clues?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
If you have seen the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or read any books by Hunter S. Thompson, with the right type of eyes...can you see some subtle hints emanating from the complex mind that was formerly known as Hunter S. Thompson?

In Fear and Loathing there are, upon first recall, several topics that seem to remind me of topics here on ats and topics pertaining to real life.

I recall references everything from reptillians, to subtle energy and magnetism, drugs on a deeper level than recreation, the uselessness of paranoia to the extreme, the pineal gland, the world bank connection to the vatican, and many others.

So perhaps Thompson left us some clues? or maybe the human brain can find a message in anything?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have never seen the movie, and I don't know how Mr. Thompson is, however I do agree with your last statement.

I think that in everyeone the things they believe the most they will find in the most unlikely places. Your simply being a member of ATS makes you more likely to find conspiracies and alternate views on simple fiction.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your "messages in the movie", but that we all see the possibilites based on our beliefs.

King

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
I have never seen the movie, and I don't know how Mr. Thompson is, however I do agree with your last statement.

I think that in everyeone the things they believe the most they will find in the most unlikely places. Your simply being a member of ATS makes you more likely to find conspiracies and alternate views on simple fiction.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your "messages in the movie", but that we all see the possibilites based on our beliefs.

King

Hunter S. Thompson was probably most famous to the average person as a freelance journalist that wrote for rolling stone magazine

here is a background on his political stance:::

Hunter Thompson was a passionate proponent of the right to bear arms and privacy rights.[44] A member of the National Rifle Association,[45] Thompson was also co-creator of "The Fourth Amendment Foundation", an organization to assist victims in defending themselves against unwarranted search and seizure.[46]

Part of his work with The Fourth Amendment Foundation centered around support of Lisl Auman, a Colorado woman who was sentenced for life in 1997 under felony murder charges for the death of police officer Bruce VanderJagt, despite contradictory statements and dubious evidence. Thompson organized rallies, provided legal support, and co-wrote an article in the June 2004 issue of Vanity Fair, outlining the case. The Colorado Supreme Court eventually overturned Auman's sentence in March 2005, shortly after Thompson's death, and Auman is now free. Auman's supporters claim Thompson's support and publicity resulted in the successful appeal.[47]

Thompson was a firearms and explosives enthusiast (in his writing and in real life) and owned a vast collection of handguns, rifles, shotguns, and various automatic and semi-automatic weapons, along with numerous forms of gaseous crowd control and many other homemade devices.

Thompson was also an ardent supporter of drug legalization and became known for his less-than-shy accounts of his own drug usage. He was an early supporter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and served on the group's advisory board for over 30 years until his death.[48] He told an interviewer in 1997 that drugs should be legalized "Across the board. It might be a little rough on some people for a while, but I think it's the only way to deal with drugs. Look at Prohibition: all it did was make a lot of criminals rich."[49]

After the September 11th, 2001 attacks, when airliners were hijacked and used as missiles against several targets in the U.S., Thompson voiced skepticism regarding the official story on who was responsible for the attacks. He suggested to several interviewers that it may have been conducted by the U.S. Government or with the government's assistance.[50][51] In 2002, Thompson told a radio show host "[Y]ou sort of wonder when something like that happens, well, who stands to benefit? Who had the opportunity and the motive? You just kind of look at these basic things [...] I saw that the US government was going to benefit, and the White House people, the Republican administration to take the mind of the public off the crashing economy. [...] And I have spent enough time on the inside of, well in the White House and you know, campaigns and I've known enough people who do these things, think this way, to know that the public version of the news or whatever event, is never really what happened."[51]

In 2004 Thompson, regarding politics, wrote: "Nixon was a professional politician, and I despised everything he stood for — but if he were running for president this year against the evil Bush-Cheney gang, I would happily vote for him."[52]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
humans naturaly notice and create patterns so we are also more inclined to see patterns where no real pattern exsists. but on the other hand hunter was working on stories on 911 towers attack before he died. im not saying he was ghosted for investigating it but he was killed by a gun shot to the head it was claimed that it was suicide.

4 days after his death his wife recived a leter from him in the mail stateing "No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt".

so was he killed for what he was researching? he did say he thought the buildings were brought down with explosives. or did he off himself because he was no longer happy with his exsistance? i dont know personaly i can see it being either .

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the thought! I never even considered some points you brought up.
I found a link that favors your theory.
hqinfo.blogspot.com...

Apparently, he even had a theory about 911 that questions his suicidal death.

Well, it looks like krill beat me to it. I will post anyway because of the link.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill
4 days after his death his wife recived a leter from him in the mail stateing "No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt".

What's your source for that? I heard he left that note on the desk in front of him.

so was he killed for what he was researching? he did say he thought the buildings were brought down with explosives. or did he off himself because he was no longer happy with his exsistance? i dont know personaly i can see it being either .

Unfortunately the Toronto Globe And Mail reporter who first circulated that article about Thompson working on a 9/11 story wasn't being entirely serious. Read the rest of the article that Infowars didn't bother to mention.

Not that I'm not suspicious of other events surrounding his death, mind you.

EDIT: I've just read the rest of the article again myself and according to it Thompson was working on "such a story," but the author for some reason claims "but that wasn't what killed him."

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury

What's your source for that? I heard he left that note on the desk in front of him.

According to wikipedia you're actually correct:

Link

What family and police describe as a suicide note was delivered to his wife four days before his death and later published by Rolling Stone Magazine. Entitled "Football Season Is Over"

I'm not sure what article I read about the note being left on the desk, but I'll try to find it. And I'm not mistaking it for the other note in the typewriter.

Here's the segment on the Globe And Mail confusion, though:

Paul William Roberts in his Toronto Globe and Mail article of Saturday, February 26, 2005 wrote how he imagined an obituary should begin:[31]

"Hunter telephoned me on February 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think..."

However, Roberts goes on to state:

"That's how I imagine a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson should begin. He was indeed working on such a story, but it wasn't what killed him..."

As the Globe and Mail website required pay-per-view for the full article, viewers who only read the partial text mistakenly believed it to be genuine.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
ok heres a section from a radio transcript of hunter doing a interview with mick o'regan available at this site www.indybay.org...

"Mick O’Regan: You went on to say in that article, which I have in front of me, that ‘even ESPN was broadcasting war news. It was the worst disaster in the history of the United States.’ Do you think that the event completely transformed the way in which Americans see themselves and their own vulnerability?’

Hunter S. Thompson: No, the event by itself wouldn’t have done that. But it was the way the Administration was able to use that event. Even use it as a springboard for everything they wanted to do. And that might tell you something. I remember when I was writing that column you sort of wonder when something like that happens, Well who stands to benefit? Who had the opportunity and the motive? You just kind of look at these basic things, and I don’t know if I want to go into this on worldwide radio here, but –

Mick O’Regan: You may as well.

Hunter S. Thompson: All right. Well I saw that the US government was going to benefit, and the White House people, the republican administration to take the mind of the public off of the crashing economy. Now you want to keep in mind that every time a person named Bush gets into office, the nation goes into a drastic recession they call it.

Mick O’Regan: It seems a very long bow to me, but are you sort of suggesting that this worked in the favour of the Bush Administration?

Hunter S. Thompson: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. And I have spent enough time on the inside of, well in the White House and you know, campaigns and I’ve known enough people who do these things, think this way, to know that the public version of the news or whatever event, is never really what happened"

also and i cant find a transcript for this but on the alex jones show i belive it was earlier this week or last week he had a actress who is in the new thompson movie. she said she looked through some of his files and she did see alot of files and notes on 911 but she did not go over them as they were prepping for the movie.

as for the infowars article i had not read that till after you mentioned it i dident even know infowars had one up. so no i dident take my info from alex jonses site although i am a fan of his work and listen to his show everyday. thanx for letting me know about the info wars article i just read it and its just stuff i allready knew except the fact that he was supposedly talking to his wife in the kitchen when he died but it was later changed to him being killed in his office at his desk. strange perhaps he was ghosted.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

as for the infowars article i had not read that till after you mentioned it i dident even know infowars had one up. so no i dident take my info from alex jonses site although i am a fan of his work and listen to his show everyday. thanx for letting me know about the info wars article i just read it and its just stuff i allready knew except the fact that he was supposedly talking to his wife in the kitchen when he died but it was later changed to him being killed in his office at his desk. strange perhaps he was ghosted.

Just one other thing of note is how other parts of the story keep sort of changing too. You thought the note was sent 4 days after his death, wikipedia and Rolling Stone claim it was sent 4 days before his death, and I thought it was left there at the time of the shooting. The recent documentary on him, Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride, said only that he "left a note," and then they had Nick Nolte read it out.

Weird.

top topics

join