It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise dancer jumps overboard, killed by police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Cruise dancer jumps overboard, killed by police

www.cnn.com

A cruise ship dancer who jumped 30 feet off a deck into San Diego Bay last weekend was killed by police after attacking an officer who had helped pull him onto a rescue boat, officials said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This story is bizarre. You have to wonder a couple of things here... First, if he didn't want to be rescued, why push the issue? Drowning isn't illegal, so the cops really had no justification in trying to force a rescue on him once he refused. Second, if the guy was acting abnormal while in the water, wouldn't it make sense to be extra vigilant once you have him on board the rescue boat? Seems like it was negligent to allow the guy to be in a position to steal a stun gun in the first place. Should definitely be interesting to get the toxicology report on this one.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I think in California it is illegal to try to commit suicide by any maner. So drowning yourself is a form of suicide. The cops would be negligent if they did not try to recue him, even if they had to arrest him later. It was stupid though to not have him cuffed an watched closely. Thats pure negligence on they're part. The Tox screen will be interesting as well as the medical report on the victim/perpetrator!!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Seriously? Why in the hell would suicide be illegal while abortion is legal? Seems contradictory to me. If a person wants to kill themself, they should be allowed to do so (unassisted), IMO. Thanks for informing me of that, Zindo.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hell, you can't let a perfectly good tax payer leave the building without some form of preventive measure can you???

Zindo

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Hell, you can't let a perfectly good tax payer leave the building without some form of preventive measure can you???

Zindo

I think you hit a nail on the head there buddy!
My old step-dad (a UK police officer), when I asked about the illegality of suicide, always answered that it was about the people who have to clean up afterward. When I suggested that there should be an ´ethical suicide handbook´ telling people how to kill themselves in a neat and tidy fashion he had no retort.

I still have an image in my mind about some kind of murderous Rube Goldberg (spelling?) machine that deposits your recently demised corpse into a self-sealing coffin and calls the morgue with a recorded message as a finale.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

That's what the death tax is for, my friend. Of course now that he's dead anyway they'll miss out on that lucrative taxation of gay crusie ship dancer income... however much that is.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It seems to be REALLY REALLY common of the amount of abuse and neglect of the police. Shoot, if you've been even close to being on ATS as I have, which isn't that long, you could practically recite them!. I read one just yesterday!

Why write a long out report when you just could write it up like...

"hmmm...dude jump in ocean, we rescued, there was a struggle, looks like he 'attempted' to grab my taser/gun...we whacked him. Have a nice weekend" ..

As I said multiple times before......

either cops have the green light to do this stuff, by whom, we'll never know.. or they're quasi~programed some how, or they're not academy cops, hired Blackwater types

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
This story is bizarre. You have to wonder a couple of things here... First, if he didn't want to be rescued, why push the issue? Drowning isn't illegal, so the cops really had no justification in trying to force a rescue on him once he refused.

I've read other posts by you and I must admit this one totally surprised me.

What would you be saying if the police stood by and watched him drown? You'd probably be calling them incompetent, eh?

Bizarre.:shk:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

No, actually I wouldn't and you might be mistaking me for someone else. I think if someone has done something arrestable, then arrest them... otherwise stay out of their business. I also feel that you offer your help one time and, if refused, you move on. I said that about the Burma situation (the instant our aid was refused, we should have turned around and brought our troops, ships, helicopters, money, and food, medical aid straight back home.) and I say it here (the instant the cops realized the guy was refusing to be rescued, you turn the boat away from him, apply the throttle, and leave him to his own devices.)

When they brought him onto their boat after seeing he didn't want to be rescued and was acting in a bizarre fashion, he should have been handcuffed for his and the officers' protection at the very least. I have no issue with them shooting the guy whatsoever. He brought that upon himself by assaulting an officer... I do have an issue with them allowing him to get into a position where he could assault an officer considering he hadn't yet broken any laws.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
My thoughts and attitude are pretty consistant between this thread and the one I just linked to where police putting a person who hasn't broken any laws into a position where they do break the law is concerned.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Attempted Suicide is illegal in every state I am familiar with..

I will assume that "Committing Suicide" would not be as one would not have a Defendant by definition...

However...

The Civil Liabilities of ANY Police Officer NOT doing everything possible to prevent any form of suicide, would be tremendous!!!

They Attorneys would line up for miles...

The fullest impact of a Law Enforcement Officer is that I must be willing to die so that someone I do not know can go on living.. Yet I am not required to let them kill me...

Semper

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Obviously the guy had some mental health problems.

Cops or not, attacking a bunch of people with guns is likely to get you shot.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Im always amazed at the ability of people based ona snippet of a story to go right to the 'blame the cops" mentality. lets see what happened first eh?

Also it is illegal to commit suicide for starters, also the person would have to be presumed to be mentaly ill as well. Anybody who jumps off a ship and then does not want to be rescued? Im going to assume they are drunk, high, or unstable.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Suicide is actually considered Attempted Murder.

Even though it is yourself you are trying to do away with.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So if suicide is on a par with murder...

You only get punished if you fail!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump
So if suicide is on a par with murder...

You only get punished if you fail!

Guess it depends on who is doing the punishing.

Ya know?!?!

new topics

top topics

join