It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serbia Captures War-Crimes Suspect Karadzic!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Serbia Captures War-Crimes Suspect Karadzic!

news.bbc.co.uk

Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic, one of the world's most wanted men, has been arrested in Serbia after more than a decade.

He has been brought before Belgrade's war crimes court, in accordance with a law on cooperation the Hague Tribunal, the Serbian presidency said.

The Bosnian Serb wartime political leader disappeared in 1996.
He had been indicted by the UN tribunal for war crimes and genocide over the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Many have long suspected the Serbian government was aware of the whereabouts of this man, and his military leader, Ratko Mladic, but was unwilling to act for fear of a national backlash.

This is therefore quite a turn of events. The move is quite possibly motivated by the desire for greater integration into Europe.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

They SAY he was arrested. We'll just have to see.

Good work, OP.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hopefully this is a true report. He needs to be tried for his role. I'm a little nervous that is he under a Serbian court right now, but here's hoping for a clean trial.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thank God! Today is a day to celebrate!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
he isn't going to get a fair trial. He will suffer 'heart failure' in prison before he can spill the beans in my opinion.

Worst mistake the west ever made was allowing islamic break away states to form within the borders of eastern europe. That the USA bombed serbia to support islamic terrorists just shows how warped their ideals are in the US.

Bosnian muffti speaks out

The above is a muslim 'leader' from bosnia.

Bosnia and Iran / Saudi terror teams

BOSNIA: TERRORISM’S LOGISTICAL BASE
Defense & Foreign Affairs Strategic Policy, October 2004 [Terrorism – Staff report]

Saudis and Iranians Work Together Through a Bosnian Terrorist Group to Support the Conflict in Chechnya

INFORMATION OBTAINED BY Defense & Foreign Affairs from a secret Wahabbi terrorist organization based in Bosnia shows how the Saudi and Iranian governments are working together to support combat operations against the Russian Government in Chechnya, and are building a base of future operations in Turkish-occupied Northern Cyprus. Moreover, during 2004 the organization they support has expanded dramatically in terms of operations and funding, and has opened a string of new offices and facilities around Bosnia and into Southern Serbia’s Raška (Sandzhak) Muslim area.

The organization, Kvadrat (Quadrant), a nominally Sunni Wahabbi order, whose members practice “Islam from the roots,” was founded in Sarajevo in 1995 and uses as its cadres children orphaned during the Bosnia-Herzegovina civil war, indoctrinating and training them in the Wahabbist ideology and in terrorist and guerilla warfare tactics.

Kvadrat sends its trained personnel through the “green transversal”- the Islamist and narco-trafficking safe-haven line - from Bosnia and, through Turkey and Georgia, to Chechnya, where they join al-Qaida-supported Chechen Islamist terrorist and guerilla operations against the Russian Government and the local population.

And then this. A 150 page Pdf about combating islamic terror cells in Bosnia.
Bosnia terror

Now I 100% agree that killing innocent women and children is a terrible crime, and those found guilty should be jailed or sentenced to the severity of their crimes.

However, by making a safe haven for islamic terror at the very fringe of Europe, the USA created a very dangerous precedent. Over the right of a soverign nation to prevent a break up pof their lands they bombed a country into submission and created a state for the breeding of islamic terror at our very borders.

What next? will they bomb London or paris if the islamic factions want independance ala Bosnia?

A dirt war it was, but we in Europe should of fought tooth and nail against the islamic armies gathered from around the globe to steal a soverign nations land.

One thing I have noted is that their isn't a rush to capture the muslim terrorists who killed women and children..... wonder why?

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armin
Thank God! Today is a day to celebrate!

Yes, it is.

"Spill the beans", DanTanna?
There are no "beans" left to spill. He, even more so than Milosevic, was the mastermind of the atrocities that happened there.

I hope this doesn't deteriorate into a seemingly informed but actually biased discussion about things that most people here know nothing about, certainly not personally.

So, yes: it's a day to celebrate.
Let's leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
He is obviously guilty of crimes against hairstyling:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
i think there is no question that Karadzic's arrest must be part of some quid pro quo. He's been "on the run" for quite a while, but I think he was on the run in the same way that a rancher's pony might be on the run around a corral. It just became time to deal him.

As far as "beans to spill" are concerned, he might have interesting information about the long love affair between the CIA and Osama bin Laden. Little tid bits of pillow talk that might be embarrassing to the leaders of the war on other people's terrorism. Maybe something to the effect that other people's terrorism is our own terrorism, perhaps?

[edit on 21-7-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I have to give it to you, Dan, you've certainly brought a different perspective to this issue.

I beg to differ with your position, however. Neither the ethnic Albanians living in Kosovo nor the Bosniaks living in Bosnia were, or are today, a nation of terrorists, even if, as you argue, cells do exist within them. The crimes committed against them were substantially the result of this very attitude that tars whole populations with the 'militant fundamentalist Islam' brush.

The fact is that the whole idea of putting together a hotch-potch of diverse nationalities into an artificial state called 'Yugoslavia' produced a veritable time-bomb in the first place. It was only kept together through the iron fist of Tito during the Communist era. Those with a knowledge of European history foresaw the almighty upheaval that was coming to the region, one aspect of which was Kosovo, where 87% of the population was ethnic Albanian at the time, (source: Wikipedia on Yugoslavia,) with cultural ties to the Muslim religion.

Yes, Kosovo Albanians were flexing their political muscles and creating waves - but that is not terrorism. It was the central government in Belgrade under Milosovic that responded to isolated acts of violence with a policy of ethnic cleansing. Likewise it was the regional government in Bosnia-Herzegovina under Karadzic that orchestrated ethnic cleansing against against the Bosniaks, many of whom were from a Muslim background (and who constituted 48% of the population of the region he administered - source:
Wikipedia on Bosniaks ).

Thus your statement...

Worst mistake the west ever made was allowing islamic break away states to form within the borders of eastern europe.

(italics added)

...is really only a parody of what actually happened. In reality the legitimate rights of sizeable historic populations were being attacked in the name of Serbian hegemony throughout the region. This was primarily not a religious conflict at all - it was ethnic and political. However, similarly to Northern Ireland, national identity became linked to cultural, and thus religious background by association.

It was, and is, the tiny minority of those who advocate and perpetrate acts of violence in the name of the Muslim religion who gain from the idea that this was an era of religious freedom-fighting. In reality these were people with as much right as you or me to express their rights and freedoms, but who were blatantly downtrodden. In that context they were keen to move towards independence, and the main error of Western powers was arguably that they stood by far too long while Milosovic and Karadzic and their henchmen (allegedly) perpetrated crimes against humanity.

Here are the indictments against Karadzic:

From 1996 until 2008, he was a fugitive indicted for war crimes by the International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia; the Interpol warrant cites assault, crimes against humanity, crimes against life and health, genocide, grave breaches of the 1949 Geneva conventions, murder, plunder, and violations of the laws or customs of war. The indictment [8] charges Karadžić on the basis of his individual criminal responsibility (Article 7(1) of the Statute) and superior criminal responsibility (Article 7(3) of the Statute) with:

Two counts of genocide (Article 4 of the Statute - genocide, complicity in genocide);

Five counts of crimes against humanity (Article 5 of the Statute - extermination, murder, persecutions on political, racial and religious grounds, persecutions, inhumane acts (forcible transfer));

Three counts of violations of the laws or customs of war (Article 3 of the Statute - murder, unlawfully inflicting terror upon civilians, taking hostages);

One count of grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions (Article 2 of the Statute - willful killing).

Source: Wikipedia on Karadzic

Do you believe that because these populations were culturally associated with the Muslim religion that they should not have been afforded the same rights and liberties as other populations? I am a Christian, but I will speak up for the rights of Muslim men, women and children to live in peace and have the right to self-determination in their historic homelands.

That the USA bombed serbia to support islamic terrorists just shows how warped their ideals are in the US.

No, I'm afraid it just shows how poorly you have grasped what actually happened. Quoting individuals such as that particular Mufti you referred to proves nothing with respect to the whole region. There are extremists to be found everywhere. All you achieve by suggesting he is representative is heat.

The fact that there may well be small militant groups at work with bases in the region is another topic. This is a day for celebrating the capture of an indicted war-criminal.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think I speak for most Bosnians when I say:

ABOUT BLOODY TIME.

Bit ironic how the article is titled: "Serbia Captures Karadzic".
They never captured him, they had him all along.
Of course he was found in Serbia, where else would this guy be they were harbouring him for 13 years, he's got a huge following from the Serbian Right and Orthodox extremists, they were keeping him safe, most likely with help from some loyal Serbian authority figures.
I remember reports kept surfacing during the past years of him being sighted all over Serbia, even going to such public events such as soccer games; yet people were convinced he was in a cave somewhere.

Sometimes the best place to hide something is in plain sight.
I think the only reason they decided to give in and hand Karadzic to the UN now is because the whole of Europe practically was refusing to integrate Serbia into any pan-European coalitions, commissions or economic pacts and this was severely harming their economy.
Money talks after all.
Especially in war-torn countries...

I sincerely doubt the Serbs had an attack of conscience and realised he was guilty, look at the first thing he said after being arrested.
"I'm not guilty" - He's just a scapegoat.
Deep down I'm sure they still side with Karadzic's actions and his best buddy Mladic, who's still somewhere in Serbia most likely, they just need the EU more than they need him.

reply to post by Dan Tanna

Of course someone just has to rain on the parade.... sigh

Worst mistake the west ever made was allowing islamic break away states to form within the borders of eastern europe.

Break away from what?
There had been Muslims in Bosnia since the 1600's when the Ottomans captured that area and converted the Christian Slavs to Islam.

Bosnian Muslims didn't magically appear in 1995 just to let you know; they formed the majority of Bosnian's ethnic population prior to 1995, of course thanks to Milosevic, Mladic, Karadzic and their ethnic cleansing campaigns this is no longer the case.
They killed upto 300,000 Bosnian Muslism and forcefully expelled millions more..

It was no more their land than it is ours. It has always been multi-ethnic, the Serbs never had a majority there and never laid claim to it prior the war.

That the USA bombed serbia to support islamic terrorists

Haha. My god.

I love it when people start talking about a subject they have no friggin' clue about.

NATO, not the US, NATO, bombed the Serbs because they said they wanted to enact a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed, yet on the other hand continuously bombed Sarajevo into the stone age and continued on their illegal ethnic cleansing campaign with no signs of stopping.

The aerial bombing campaign was necessary to bring them to the table and to force them to stop their genocidal rampage.

What you would prefer the Western World did?
Sit back and watch Bosnians get rounded up and slaughtered like cattle?

Sheesh, read up on the subject please.

The above is a muslim 'leader' from bosnia.

NO.
The above is a link from a heavily biased source (Militant Islam Monitor.org) known for it's anti-Islamic agenda and thinly veiled propaganda disguised as a reliable source on global terrorism.
I take everything from there with a grain of salt.

And since when does one person's views represent the entire nation's?

What next? will they bomb London or paris if the islamic factions want independance ala Bosnia?

Oh my god...

We have independence, that was one of the conditions of the Dayton peace agreement, Bosnia is now a sovereign state that can govern itself.

And exactly which "Islamic Factions" are you referring to?

You seem to have Bosnia confused with Iraq I think.
There are no warring Muslim factions seeking to turn the country into a battleground for ideological reasons...

Where are you pulling this garbage from?

A dirt war it was, but we in Europe should of fought tooth and nail against the islamic armies gathered from around the globe to steal a soverign nations land.

Right...

I urge you to take a look at this map here and tell me, who "stole" the most land.
Certainly wasn't the Bosnians, I think perhaps you need glasses.

Serbia almost expanded it's borders tenfold during the war, the Bosnians never gained an inch, much the same with the Croatians, all we got was our original land back in our control & authority.

One thing I have noted is that their isn't a rush to capture the muslim terrorists who killed women and children..... wonder why?

I'll tell you why, it's called DISPROPORTIONATE FORCE.
Google that one genius.

Mladic and Karadzic were Europe's worst war criminals since Hitler and the SS. They killed most likely, more than 250,000 civilians systematically in a coordinated, "ethnic purification" campaign.

And you think we should focus our efforts on capturing the Foreign Fighters who present in Bosnia during the war, who numbered maybe in the region of 500 and had no impact whatsoever on the war?

Unfortunately not everyone has as much time as you do on their hands you see, to expend on pointless exercises.
The whole necessity of capturing men like Karadzic is to bring justice to those responsible for the thousands upon thousands of dead, innocent civilians during the war.
The majority of the which were killed by the Bosnian Serb Army.

Yes, it might hard to swallow that the fanatical extremists in the Bosnian war were actually the Christians, not the Muslims; for your misguided mind but please read some more about the subject before talking about it.

[edit on 22/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Britain's and the USA's shameless collaboration with Germany in the violent break-up of Yugoslavia - the political and military support for WW2 Axis Croatia, WW2 Axis Slovenia and WW2 Axis Ottoman remnants (Albanians/Bosniaks) against WW2 Allied Serbia opens up a whole lot of questions regarding their real role in World War 2 and why they crossed the Channel so late (in June 1944) only when the war was already over and after Russia already destroyed 90% of the Axis army. It appears that the more Nazis you killed in WW2 the more the NATO Pact media apparatus hates you. Serbia is really hated. A resurgant Germany is not a good thing for Europe. Isn't this obvious to everyone by now ?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Reply to blablablaxyz

('reply' button not working, again)

My reply to your statements is the same as what I would have made at the time of the conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, as follows.

Modern Europeans do not hark back to the Second World War when forming opinions regarding modern-day events. Serbia was widely seen as perpetuating ethnic hatred long-since forgotten throughout the rest of the continent, and if you are representative of modern Serbians, this is still going on. It is immature and unjustifiable. All you are doing is demonstrating to the world why Serbia has been seen as a pariah state for a long time. Please note: the time for killing Germans has past. Hatred for WW2 opponents belongs in the history books.

As to your analysis of the progress of WW2 I can only say you have swallowed the most ridiculous propaganda. The US fought on numerous fronts around the world year after year. With respect to the European front it sacrificed innumerable ships and their company just to keep Great Britain, its chief traditional ally, afloat. If Britain had been lost how on earth do you think the allies could have achieved the combined landings in the Med? And to suggest Britain and the US only invaded Europe "when the war was already over" is a shameless aspersion on those who gave their lives to drive out the Nazis.

Who are you - some former Communist Minister of Propaganda with sour grapes at having lost your career?

"A resurgent Germany." Well, I admit I have to agree with you here. I heard the air-raid sirens last night...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The local newspaper also reported Karadzic was captured, if anyone actually cares what MSM says :p I don't think this is made up. I don't know anything about this guy, so no comment on the conspiracy angle except to say that I'll keep my eyes open.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Reply to DragonsDemesne

I don't know anything about this guy.

The same could be said for hundreds of thousands of others in the Balkans. They're all six feet under.

As for the conspiracy angle, you could try googling something like:

'Serbian authorities attract universal condemnation at feigned attempts to capture those suspected of crimes against humanity, only detaining a chief suspect after years of pressure from nations who give more than lip-service to international law with respect to human rights.'

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This monster should be handed over to muslims so that they can deal with him accordingly.He thought he could get away with santa claus appearance and fake identity.I wana ask him wheres his army and bodyguards now to protect him he use to brag about...

Really sad it took this long to get him....

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well I've got another bombshell to drop here, so I might as well.

Even though you could assume Karadzic was being sheltered by some loyal supporters in Serbia during his time as a fugitive it seems worse than that.

He wasn't hiding at all, he was practising alternative medicine and psychology at a clinic in Belgrade under the alias Dr. Dragan David Dabić right up until his arrest.

More here: www.reuters.com...

As if to insult to the injury that Srebrenica and the ethnic cleansing campaign left on the Bosnian people, the Serbs were probably fully aware where Karadzic was for a good period of time.
I mean Karadzic maybe insane but he's not stupid, why would one of Europe's most wanted fugitives prance around in public in the streets of Belgrade, where everyone is fully aware of what he's responsible for?

It's like Osama walking through Central Park or something...
I find that hard to swallow.
I sincerely doubt he would have been a public doctor in Belgrade and risked exposure like that UNLESS... he knew he could trust the local populace and authorities and had protection from them.
People had to have known he was in Belgrade all this time; doesn't matter how low a profile he kept... people in those situations slip up or someone comes forward.
Unless, again, he was protected and people kept their mouths shut on purpose.

It's like the case of Totto Rina, the Sicilian Mafia boss; he was caught living in his home town in Sicily after being a fugitive for 50 years, and guess how he managed that? The police sheltered him.

You can see the tensions/underlying hatred that caused events like Srebrenica is far from being solved, this maybe a step towards EU integration for Serbia but hardly "the major leap" everyone claims it is, for Balkan stability.
As long as people are convinced he's a hero and his actions were totally justified, his trial is piss in the ocean in terms of aiding the peace process.

All that hate and nostalgic anger is still there, it's just simmering. The Serbs have kept it under wraps because they don't want a repeat of 1999 and they need the EU, but nevertheless, all it takes is a spark to ignite the powderkeg in my opinion.

[edit on 23/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

So considered the fact that Osama was able to get away from our hands because Osama has the support among the Muslim population. No wonder we can't catch him. After all this time I thought the CIA was protecting him.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

So considered the fact that Osama was able to get away from our hands because Osama has the support among the Muslim population. No wonder we can't catch him.

No.. bad analogy.
I used Osama as an example because he's smart, like Karadzic.
Twisted they maybe, but stupid they're not, Osama studied in England and has an engineering degree and Karadzic has a PhD in Psychiatry.

He would know not to hang around a place where everyone is well aware that he's a wanted fugitive. Hence why he's probably somewhere in the mountains in Pakistan.
Karadzic would too, except the Serbs loved him quite literally, which is why he was able to hide there with impunity.

The US never found Bin Laden, because they never searched to be honest. Pure incompetency.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

www.youtube.com...

Now as to why, that's anybody's guess.
Bin Laden could be dead, they might have killed him, maybe his kidneys gave in after all this time or maybe the CIA is sheltering him after all or Bush is just his plain retarded self etc..

But make no mistake about it, the US never bothered to look, that was a distraction to win the hearts and minds of the grieving and confusing American public after 9/11 so they would support any attack Bush wanted.

Besides who would he get support from?
Goat herders in Afghanistan/Waziristan? Are they going to supply him with donkeys to outrun spy satellites?
His own family doesn't even speak to him, I doubt anyone actually had a clue as to his exact whereabouts.
It was a combination of his quick wit and sheer incompetence on Bush's part.

[edit on 24/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
First let me point out that there was no such thing as a "Srebrenica massacre."
But there sure was a massacre in WWII.
Against Serbs, Jews and Roma by the Nazi Ustase.
Over 500,000 Serbs were killed, but why isn't this talked about?
Why doesn't anybody talk about the rape and murder of Serbian civilians in Kosovo?

You will NEVER know what really happened, because you were not there.
I lived in Bosnia until 1998, so how are you going to tell me what happened?

Oh let me guess, you watch FOX, and believe everything your government tells you.

Everything comes into the light, and the truth cannot be hidden forever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join