It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So anyone else thinks this quote is true

I sure do

For example - Many people can say "I think this girl is pretty" And i say "Nah i don't think she looks too good"

So basically beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Each person is different to each eye -

so lets say me and 3 buddies are at a local bar

And this lady walks in

5'7 in height - blonde hair - Nice young look - And etc

I say she looks pretty ugly - I don't like her face or her nose or her hair - I DON'T like her appearence

My other buddy could say - Look at that sexy girl right there

my other buddy would say - She's okay for me

So as we can see

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Many people do not believe this

But it's basically like opinions - They all vary

Same as in who you think looks good

And the same as "One mans garbage is another mans gold"

it's all up to the individual

You may like pizza - i may hate pizza -

Catch my drift

I am sick and tired when my buddies tell me - look at her and look at this one

And most of the times i don't agree with them

I am called "Homosexual " Gay ....They tell me....What the F dude - Like are you a moron.

But its nothing personal from them - they just can't believe me

Since they are major pervs and like women

I am not that perverted - But still

Also - Anyone heard of that actress named "Jessica Alba"

To tell you the truth - i think she looks ugly.

That is my honest opinion

But as i said - beauty is in the eye of the beholder

So before i get flamed like a brick oven pizza - Read

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Learn2Konspire]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I agree with this, but I think you posted it in the wrong area of ATS. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I may view as beautiful, some one else may view as ugly. Anyone who disagrees with this statement sure doesn't know how to think for themselves.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
True. But a lot of beholders have the same eye

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excuse-my-back
True. But a lot of beholders have the same eye

That is true, many people have similar taste. However it doesn't mean that everyone has the same taste.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Of course this is true. this is what I keep pointing out in all the threads putting down fat people and what not. I think that most people are seen as attractive by someone.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think it's certainly true, though as was suggested some people are 'seen' as beautiful by most and some people by only a few. I'm a strange one myself when it comes to this, I don't necessarily see 'good-looking' people as beautiful, I just think they're just a good looking person. Beauty comes from the soul as well!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
beauty is subjective. some folks like cauliflower, others don't. same concept. some guys like a big butt, a little meat on the bones etc, others don't.

what's even more important is the concept of inner beauty. I know plenty of people who are incredible men and women, smart, funny, caring people but they are not what one might call good looking in the most commonly accepted sense. I personally don't see them as ugly or unappealing because I know them and any "flaws" that others might see are eliminated by that amazing contraption in skulls.

one of my wife's best friends is like this. she is, without a doubt, one of the coolest ladies I know. she's the kind of gal who can go out with a group of guys and fit right in, she's hysterical, not afraid to verbally spar with anyone, she can go toe to toe in the drinking department, she's a partner in her business (entertainment) and she comes from a good background, family is very cool, money is not an issue with her. she's a total catch but she's not the prettiest girl on the planet. my wife has plenty of friends that most guys would find hot but this one was always the one that my friends would gravitate towards. her cool factor brings out a sex appeal.
so, yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that beholder often takes other factors into play when determining the attraction level.

for what it's worth, Crakeur finds all women to be beautiful in their own way.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Learn2Konspire

Is beauty in the eyes of the beholder? Yes.
Even celebrities that would be deemed gorgeous by 99.9% of the population will turn off that .01%. The only way to play devil's advocate on this subject is to bring up the study that showed a relationship to facial symmetry and perceived beauty.

See: Facial Symmetry (Wikipedia) and Article Concerning the Study of Facial Symmetry and Beauty.

On a personal note, I've always been attracted to overweight older men. There I said it.
But pretty much all of my female friends love young [read: immature, IMHO], thin [read: scrawny, IMHO] 'boys' and think I am completely insane when I point out an older, overweight man in a crowd and state I find him attractive. Then guy friends will point out a woman in a crowd who they find extremely attractive but who look very plain to me.

It's cool how it all works. There is someone out there for everyone.

Edited to add: No offense to young, thin men. I just thought about what I said and was worried some might take offense. No hard feelings- we can be 'secret friends.'

[edit on 7/21/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
To the op...it seems a bit odd to me that you don't mention finding women beautiful while your friends say "well..she is okay". You keep saying so and so is UGLY.

Why do you seem to focus on females you find ugly? Hey most people are not all that great to look at, but most people choose to overlook the natural frailties of others and take notice of those that ARE attractive.

I think you have issues dude. Your friends say you are gay? Don't know about that but the "ugly" comments seem to predominate and that spells issues.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyDOn a personal note, I've always been attracted to overweight older men. There I said it.
But pretty much all of my female friends love young [read: immature, IMHO], thin [read: scrawny, IMHO] 'boys' and think I am completely insane when I point out an older, overweight man in a crowd and state I find him attractive.

Yeah so many factors come into play. A lot of times previous experiences factor in heavily. Whether those experiences were of a “dating” nature, or whether one just feels very comfortable with a certain look.

A few years ago I developed a strong platonic friendship with an individual online, we ended up running a web domain together etc.. It went on for 5 years or so. Then circumstances allowed me to meet that individual. Initially I was not at ALL attracted to him. His facial structure/features were just…well…not at all appealing (his body was just fine..lol)

Anyways long story short 2 days later, for reasons we don’t need to go into, I thought he was the most attractive male on the planet. To this day if I see a male with similar features I immediately feel a strong draw.

What was initially not pleasing became quite irresistable.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The blonde, she's hot.....

Yeah the statement is true, from end of spectrum to end of universe, opinions differ for one major reason, change, evolution and free will. Heck if we all though the same women were hot, what a damn problem that would be!!!!

lol...SHE IS MINE DARNIT!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have a friend that thinks skinny small girlish females are very attractive while I like the big voluptuous beautiful eyed women.

needless to say we don't spend very much time talking about the nice woman we saw or talked to.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A point beautifuly made...

Here is a old twilight ZOne episode...

Its called, 'Eye of the Beholder'...

Its beautiful...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I saw that episode a few years ago. I loved it. Beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. The increasing fad of being as thin as a stick just doesn't look good to me, for either sex. In my opinion, we women generally look better when we look healthy. There are some who can pull off that thin look, and some really do look good being overweight. I happen to find the 'geeky' guys cute, as well as the pudgier men. They give excellent hugs, better than the thinner guys. And there is a big difference between the healthy musculature and the over-done musculature. I depise watching bowflex commercials where you can see every muscle, and practically every vein in their bodies. There's just too much. It makes me sick to my stomach. Now, a dancer on the other hand, still has well developed muscles, but they aren't overdone. If you've ever seen a man dance and can see their legs and torso, the proportion of muscle size to their bodies is perfect.
And while natural skin color doesn't matter to me, I think those who tan too much end up looking like oompa loompas, both boys and girls. That orangey skin is not attractive at all, to me anyway. There are friends of mine who love that tanned look, and who love the heavily muscled male bodies and model-thin women.
Even among those who don't find those attractive that the majority of people do, it is still a matter of individual taste. With two people who prefer the 'geek' look, for instance, one may find a certain facial structure attractive while the other favors a different facial structure. And this isn't even including favorable personality traits. That narrows down individual tastes even more. In my opinion, for every person on Earth, there will be someone for them who loves them, or at the very least finds them attractive.
My apologies if any of that ended up being redundant.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by AquilaCat]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly, you can feel it it in the bone.

top topics

join