It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flesh-Eating Slug Found in Wales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Flesh-Eating Slug Found in Wales

There's a flesh-eating slug in Wales that might have come from the countries of Georgia, Armenia, or Turkey. The Slug might have came from the deep caves from there.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
There's a flesh-eating slug in Wales that might have come from the countries of Georgia, Armenia, or Turkey. The Slug might have came from the deep caves from there. Here's a story of it.

July 16, 2008—A previously unknown species of meat-eating slug that sucks up earthworms like spaghetti has been discovered in Wales, scientists announced.

The so-called ghost slug—pictured above—first appeared in South Wales gardens in 2006, possibly after arriving as a stowaway in imported potted plants, said biologist Ben Rowson of National Museum Cardiff.

The nocturnal predator is armed with blade-like teeth (see inset) for slicing through animal flesh and can measure up to 5 inches (13 centimeters) long when stalking its prey, Rowson said.

"They engulf the worms piece by piece," the biologist noted. "One end of the worm will still be alive while the other is being gradually ratcheted into the slug by the teeth."

Rowson was part of the team that recently named the white carnivore Selenochlamys ysbryda—"ysbryd" being Welsh for "ghost." Its pale color and lack of eyes suggests the animal evolved underground, Rowson said.

The slug's origins remain a mystery, but the study team speculates that it may be native to deep caves found in Georgia, Armenia, or Turkey.

No one knows whether the spooky creature presents a serious threat to Britain's earthworms or other native animals.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well, anything introduced artificially into another ecosystem is harmful to other species there. Whether it means extinction for other species is another thing, but nature will have to find a new balance, yet again.

What species does this thing feed on? We've established earthworm, what else?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hey, awesome.

They have found medical uses for things like maggots and leeches in the past.

Maybe this guy will come in handy somehow. Or perhaps he'll just end up as a freeky pet in someone's terrarium.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Oh hey, by the way...

I don't see the link?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I know it's odd isn't it. why or how did the slug get shipped from the countries to wales. it does live in caves doesn't it ? i think some animals might become extinct

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Please post i need someone to talk to

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
lol!!

I wonder if the same thing happens when you pour salt on these slugs, as the regular slugs that come out around here when it rains.

Someone wanna test that and report back?

new topics

top topics

join