It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 17th/18th 2001: Anthrax Attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
People I speak to hardly remember this incident, until I remind them of it.

About four weeks after 9/11, and three weeks after the first wave of biological warfare attacks, several letters containing anthrax were sent to several people. According to en.wikipedia.org... they included:

Two more anthrax letters, bearing the same Trenton postmark, were dated October 9, three weeks after the first mailing. The letters were addressed to two Democratic Senators, Tom Daschle of South Dakota and Patrick Leahy of Vermont. At the time Daschle was the Senate Majority leader and Leahy was head of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Both were identified in the media[4] as holding up the proposed Patriot Act because of concerns that some parts of it would violate civil liberties.

Were these attacks intended as a serious warning to anyone in Government and the media who intended to investigate 9/11? What other threats went along with theses attacks that we *don't* know of?

To date, no-one is wanted in connection with these attacks, no-one has been charged, and as far as I can tell, the case is closed.

Considering bio-terrorism was allegedly conducted on US soil, isn't it a bit strange that they're not looking for any one?

Furthermore, the strain of the anthrax was deemed to have come from no less than a secure US lab.

On 9 May 2002, New Scientist published an article that reported:

'The DNA sequence of the anthrax sent through the US mail in 2001 has been revealed and confirms suspicions that the bacteria originally came from a US military laboratory. The data released uses codenames for the reference strains against which the attack strain was compared. The two reference strains that appear identical to the attack strain most likely originated at the US Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick (USAMRIID), Maryland. The new work also shows that substantial genetic differences can emerge in two samples of an anthrax culture separated for only three years. This means the attacker's anthrax was not separated from its ancestors at USAMRIID for many generations.' [31]

Certainly adds meaning to "inside job", when the anthrax was shown by no less than the FBI to have come from secure US labs.

1) Who had access?
2) Who had clearance to get the spores?
3) How did they make it out the building?
4) Why were they allowed out the building?

This has to be the mother of all 9/11 smoking guns. The proximity to the 9/11 attacks, and the apparent lack of any investigation whatsoever is mind-boggling. The only people with sufficient authority to call off (or not order) any investigations can only be the highest echelons of the US Government.

In addition, the anthrax was sent to two US Senators, who were speaking out against the Patriot Act, rushed in in the wake of 9/11.

IMHO, this was a warning shot to the consequences of speaking out.

People here ask "how do you keep people silent?" - just look at this case to see the answer to that question.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Captain Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S Enterprise...

Yeah I was JUST thinking about this the other day! Whatever happened to these reports? Did they not find the guy or did they just pay him off, he paid them off? WHAT HAPPEN!!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I never realized how soon after 911 the patriot act was drawn up. In fact, it would take longer than that to draft such a paper, it had to have already been in existance.

Found something new to research, thanks. I agree that this is a smoking gun, if it was drafted pre 911 I would say its all but proof.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
This has to be the mother of all 9/11 smoking guns. The proximity to the 9/11 attacks, and the apparent lack of any investigation whatsoever is mind-boggling. The only people with sufficient authority to call off (or not order) any investigations can only be the highest echelons of the US Government.

Yeah I always thought this was crazy that this was just forgotten. It is what made the media and any Government opposition stay quiet and not raise any questions.

Too bad America only pays attention if the media is talking about it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Actually it's still on 'ongoing investigation'. From a rather uninformative interview with Dr Bruce Budowle, Senior Scientist for the FBI, last Thursday (July 17th):

Robyn Williams: Now as a matter of general interest that happened, as you said, some years ago. Was anyone ever arrested as a result of that inquiry?

Bruce Budowle: Well it's an ongoing investigation so I can't comment any further on it at this point.

The forensic guy from the FBI

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Glad someone brought this up actually i had completely forgot about it, like the rest of the world by the looks of it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

In a filing unsealed this Spring, the lawyer for Ali Al-Timimi says that he is considered an anthrax weapons suspect. He had an office 15 feet from the leading anthrax scientist and former deputy USAMRIID, a prolific Ames researcher.

Al-Timimi was convicted of sedition and sentenced to life plus 70 years but his conviction was overturned while they explore whether there was undisclosed wiretapping.

The Center for Biodefense was funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Ali's attorney says he was in contact with Bin Laden's sheik shortly before and after the anthrax mailing with calls on September 16 and September 19, 2001.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
when you look at things like the anthrax letters you come to realise that 9/11 must have been done by some really evil people in the government.
If it's true the spores were leaked from a military facility than this all but comfirms our fears that the higher-up DID have something to do with this.

Or it could be an evil scientist trying to rule the world and chose the best time to do it would be after a major disaster

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
There are still the occasional news bits related to this

www.cnn.com...

Story Highlights
Steven Hatfill was designated a "person of interest" in deadly 2001 anthrax attacks

The former bioweapons researcher lost his job but was never charged in the probe

Hatfill sued the Justice Department in 2003 for violating his privacy

He will receive one-time payment of $2.825 million and a $150,000 annuity

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have never forgotten...

But what good does it do to tell people who refuse to listen?

It has taken 7 long years of screaming into the wind to get this far, and I am not nearly as outspoken as some.

I finger Cheney. He had the connections, the intelligence, the power and executive privileges.

What an interesting political strategy...
You have an idiot for the point man, the cold blooded maniac in second chair, but physically speaking into the point man's ear. Then you embark on the biggest series of treasonous acts in modern history, but the point man insulates the maniac from as much public scrutiny. Then refuse to answer questions about it for as long as possible, and when you can't do that anymore, declare executive privileges...

I doubt that we will ever get justice for the acts of 9-11, we have been duped to look at the wrong players for too long.
DocMoreau

P.S. Even the 'soothsayers' of a 'new Pearl Harbor' seem to have disappeared.
Project for the New American Century

As of July 8, 2008, The Project for the New American Century website is inoperable. A message saying that the account has been suspended and to contact the billing department was put on the site's page.

P.P.S. Anyone know where Rumsfeld is these days? I guess he is so Patriotic of an American, that after serving twice (you would think that you would know what you are doing the second time around)
It is amazing that the media jams these clowns down our throats as 'public servants' that then nobody wants to print his memoir...

In the months after his resignation, Rumsfeld toured the New York publishing houses in preparation for a potential memoir.[84] Such a book would reportedly be used by Rumsfeld to justify the military strategy used in Iraq under his watch. An agreement on a book deal has not been announced.

Asisinine....

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It was stage B of the double whammy. It was part of the cover-up strategy. As long as people were glued to their TV sets and worried about every letter from Aunt Esther blowing white powder in their face, they weren't paying attention and asking questions about why all the rubble from Ground Zero was being taken away so fast without doing some kind of investigation...

It was to get our attention. So, a few people died... It worked to keep an entire country distracted...

I certainly hadn't forgotten, but thanks for the reminder.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

man, does that ever turn my stomach.
NO ONE has any privacy because of the patriot act, and a prime suspect wins all that money just because he was a prime suspect?

i think everyone on the 'terror watchlist' should likewise sue the government.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
reply to post by Karlhungis

i think everyone on the 'terror watchlist' should likewise sue the government.

How do we get a list of those names, then? Seriously, we haven't anything over them, so there's no power or anything that can be done.

Draw too much attention and you are simply labelled an "Enemy combatant".

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have not forgotten and have yet to see a valid response to this. I see one anonymous response which is kind of cowardly. Respond with your normal account.

This was a sticking point that I kept bringing up with family members that were/or are still adament about the 'official story' BS line.

I'm just shocked that none of the big time skeptics have come up with a valid or semi-valid reason for this. Wouldn't this be one of the biggest crime scene investigations right next to the 911 events? Seriously. Biological WARFARE on our own soil and yet it has been swept quietly under the rug.

It smells of this administration. Especially with the new line of defense on their part with 'executive priviledges'. That is the biggest bunch of crap defense since 'it's a matter of national security'.

Seriously people (to the skeptics of 911 especially), how many times do we have to here this administration hide behind 'national security' and 'executive priviledge' before you begin to wonder if they are guilty of treason?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

it would be up to the individuals to file their own claims.
overcentralisation creates a target.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

The real smoking gun, thanks for bringing this up again mirageofdeceit. Don't expect the resident debunkers to take this one on, there's simply no way to shift the blame onto rouge Islamic terrorists.

The MSM won't touch it either so we're left to wonder and speculate. If I had the chance to ask the current presidential candidates one question it would be this: Where is the anthrax investigation at and what our you going to do about it?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Actually it's still on 'ongoing investigation'. From a rather uninformative interview with Dr Bruce Budowle, Senior Scientist for the FBI, last Thursday (July 17th):

Robyn Williams: Now as a matter of general interest that happened, as you said, some years ago. Was anyone ever arrested as a result of that inquiry?

Bruce Budowle: Well it's an ongoing investigation so I can't comment any further on it at this point.

This guy, Budowle, is completely lying. It's not an ongoing investigation. He can't comment on it because there's nothing happening there. What else can he say, given that type of situation?

I think the most likely senario -- the person who did it was found and is dead now. That seems to be the way things work. No doubt he was tortured to death, perhaps under orders from someone very high up, which is one reason nobody wants to discuss this.

Or maybe it is just pure ineptitude, and they have slaved over this EVERY DAY for the past seven years, and made no progress whatsoever. I guess that is somewhat believable also.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I find it interesting how, when 9/11 is discussed, this is NEVER RAISED as being part of 9/11. The notes themselves seem strange (assuming Wikipedia is accurate here - I haven't verified these yet).

OBL has never been even mentioned in connection with this particular attack - instead it seems to be being treated as a wholly separate, lesser event that 9/11, despite two members of Congress being targeted directly!!

The very fact they're not making a big noise about either the event itself, or trying to appeal to anyone who might have any information regarding the attacks, means that they don't want anyone looking too closely at anything to do with it for what it might reveal.

Biological warfare happens on US soil (using spores from a secure US lab), and no-one seems to care. They've GOT to be hiding something.

en.wikipedia.org...

Theoretically anthrax spores can be cultivated with minimal special equipment and a first-year collegiate microbiological education, but in practice the procedure is difficult and dangerous. To make large amounts of an aerosol form of anthrax suitable for biological warfare extensive practical knowledge, training and highly advanced equipment are required.

Concentrated anthrax spores were used for bioterrorism in the 2001 anthrax attacks in the United States, delivered by mailing postal letters containing the spores. Only a few grams of material were used in these attacks and it is unknown if this material was produced by a single individual or by a state sponsored bioweapons program. These events also spawned many anthrax hoaxes.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
They aren't mentioned much but I made it part of my psychology essay about fear and clouded judgment. I've read about dozens of scientists dealing with biological weapons died across the world shortly after 9/17-18 but the accuracy of those stories I can't confirm. What got me nervous was when Bush was speaking to the Knesset a few months ago and made this quotable "That is why the followers of Hezbollah chant 'Death to Israel, Death to America!'" SOURCE which sounds kind of like the anthrax letters "Death to America. Death to Israel."

Kind of caught me off guard when I heard him say that...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Imho just a loon trying to gain attention, or negate some negativity...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join